Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Product or Service Reviews & Evaluations
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-03-2017, 13:15   #1

Boat: Byliner 3258
To SLEEP or not to SLEEP the under cover story!

I am replacing a bow berth mattress. I have read a lot of reports and discussions on the perfect mattress and became totally confused. I want a medium hardness with the comfort of memory foam but not the heat buildup in warm climates.. I will be using my existing zippered 4" foam mattress cover so I will be keeping the same depth of material, 4" does not give a lot of comfort options. I contacted a foam manufacturer distributor who took the time to listen to my wishes and simplified the whole process and had suggestions that would cure existing problems. Sureline Foam Products have a new material 1" thick that is a memory foam that is not effected by temperature, the product has a constant hardness so it does not soften in warmth or harden in cooler temperatures, this is a breathable open cell product the approximate price is $100 for the queen size.. This material is called Serene. The Selene is laminated to the base layer with a latex adhesive to prevent slip, this adhesive can be used with existing foams. The base material is a 3" layer of 2.0 Lb 2050 open cell Polyurethane (the 20 stands for weight and density and the 50 is a IFD fire rating) The cost of the 3" is approx. $220. CDN. This will give you a custom mattress that will exceed the comfort of the standard manufactures 1 to 1.5 Lb foam.
Hunky Dory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2017, 13:31   #2

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38
Re: To SLEEP or not to SLEEP the under cover story!

Have you actually slept on this yet?
I would be very curious to know how comfortable this arrangement is!
Old 30-03-2017, 13:39   #3
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

There was a thread about exactly this a few days ago.
Asking the same question so soon probably needs to be on that thread as you may not get the enthusuast...

Oh stuff it.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2017, 13:55   #4

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Hello, Hunky Dory,

I see you're a little new here. I just found a number of CF threads after trying a CF Google Custom Search. How you can do that for yourself, is to click on the Search button. That gives you a drop down menu, and one of the selections is "Google Custom Search". What I wrote in the search field was "CF mattress threads". The top has advertising, but as you go down the display, it will show you a number of mattress threads. Hope this helps.

Ann
Old 30-03-2017, 14:43   #5

Hello Hunky Dory:
I see that you are in Calgary. If you keep your boat in the Vancouver, BC area go and see Royal City Bedding and Upholstery in Surrey BC. We had them do a custom foam mattress for our aft berth and ended up with a mattress that is more comfortable than the one that we sleep on at home! They came to the boat to measure up for a custom fit and did an excellent job. If you are looking for a "CHEAP" mattress you probably want to go somewhere else but if you want one that you can sleep on, I would definitely go to see them. Also if you take them sheets, they will cut them to fit properly.
sailful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2017, 08:41   #6

Boat: Byliner 3258

Thanks for the replys and advise. The mattress materials described on my post has produced a very comfy finished product. I am not an authority on foam, but if anyone has questions, I am sure Brad Hart will give you excellent advise. Sureline Foam Products is a manufacturer of foam and normally only wholesales to furniture and mattress companies. They will also manufacture a covered finished product for those that do not feel up to manufacturing their own mattress. I had my old foam as a template for the new materials so the cutting is easy. Selecting the proper material, density, combinations can be overwhelming and you may not get what you wants at a cost. Sureline has a web site. You can also contact them at bhart@ sureline.ca Have a great day!
Hunky Dory is offline   Reply With Quote