Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-08-2019, 18:22   #1

Boat: 1980 Pacific International Marine 41.5
Titan chain

Hey all,

I am looking for recent reviews/opinions on Titan chain. I know in the past they didnt do so well and I've also heard Acco also had some issues(in the past).

That being said I am getting 3/8" chain and probably 150 feet of it, and the cost difference between Acco and Titan is about $250. Not much in the grand scheme of things but is Acco that much better?
chowdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2019, 20:36   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Re: Titan chain

No help but interested in hearing any comments. I too have read of several problems with Acco chain in the last couple of years. Supposedly the gold standard but maybe no longer. I saw some comment (speculation?) that this is due to new restrictions on galvanizers but no evidence was given to support that.

I ended up buying some used chain and had it regalvanized. Looks better than new.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2019, 20:43   #3

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44

I bought new Acco chain in 2012. It started to rust in less than three months. I switched it end for end at about 15 months as the used part of the chain was seriously rusted. To the point of losing metal, not just surface rust. At just short of three years the Acco was dangerously shot, to the point I used my backup anchor on a rope rode for my return from the Bahamas. I bought Titan chain in the summer of 2015. It now has a few spots of surface rust on a few links, but nothing that gives me concerns about its strength. I still don't see a need to swap ends at 4 years. Enough said.
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2019, 02:42   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bill View Post
I bought new Acco chain in 2012. It started to rust in less than three months. I switched it end for end at about 15 months as the used part of the chain was seriously rusted. To the point of losing metal, not just surface rust. At just short of three years the Acco was dangerously shot, to the point I used my backup anchor on a rope rode for my return from the Bahamas. I bought Titan chain in the summer of 2015. It now has a few spots of surface rust on a few links, but nothing that gives me concerns about its strength. I still don't see a need to swap ends at 4 years. Enough said.

Did you try contacting Acco or the vendor you purchased the chain from for a warranty replacement or refund? I also heard some complaints about a lack of support or interest in resolving the problems.
Old 14-08-2019, 03:31   #5

Boat: 1980 CheoyLee35

i have Titan chain and it seems fine to me. No complaints at all. I will add that I emailed the company with some questions and got very quick, helpful and friendly responses from them. I was very impressed with their customer service and will happily deal with them again.
Shoalcove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2019, 05:15   #6

Location: The boat - New Bern, NC, USA; Us - Kingsport, TN, USA
Boat: 1988 Pacific Seacraft 34

Last year I bought a drum of 5/16 BBB G-30 Titan from Amazon delivered for free with Prime for $1,204.48 + tax beating the pants off the West Marine price. It replaced similar Acco that I had had re-galvanized several times (3x ?). With less than 150 days at anchor, it is far too soon to comment on the galvanizing, but so far, so good. Oh, and I got 5% of the price back on my Amazon rewards card.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Amazon Order.png
Views:	163
Size:	40.5 KB
ID:	197857  
wsmurdoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2019, 05:25   #7

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsmurdoch View Post
Last year I bought a drum of 5/16 BBB G-30 Titan from Amazon delivered for free with Prime for $1,204.48 + tax beating the pants of the West Marine price. It replaced similar Acco that I had had re-galvanized several times. With less than 150 days at anchor, it is far too soon to comment on the galvanizing, but so far, so good.

Our 275' of 5/16 G4 Titan from Amazon was $565 delivered to Florida in Oct of 2016. Amazon occasional does crazy pricing on the Titan chain... I had seen this before, so added all the length options to my cart and checked every couple of days for price change. It went from $1100, dropping in $150 increments, until I bought it at $565. Once someone buys it, it shots back-up to the $1100 and starts the process over again.

It's been great so far.

Matt
Old 14-08-2019, 06:35   #8

Quote:
Last year I bought a drum of 5/16 BBB G-30 Titan from Amazon delivered for free with Prime for $1,204.48 + tax beating the pants off the West Marine price. It replaced similar Acco that I had had re-galvanized several times (3x ?). With less than 150 days at anchor, it is far too soon to comment on the galvanizing, but so far, so good. Oh, and I got 5% of the price back on my Amazon rewards card.
One note: I've repeatedly had the issue of not receiving product that we paid for on Amazon.

From sunglasses not being polarized when they said they are to receiving the wrong model (order) of electronics.

I use Amazon a lot, but I wouldn't buy anything that wasn't from a verified source that I was trusting with my boat - like chain or rode or line etc..
nelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2019, 06:44   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

All Titan chain is embossed with it's grade.
As are their shackles.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2019, 06:54   #10

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

ACCO (American Chain and Cable Co.) sells two types of chain. Their Boatman’s Pride brand is imported. I suspect it is the source of the problems with ACCO chain. If you buy ACCO chain, be sure you’re getting their American made chain.

Titan Chain is made in China by Canada Metal. Their quality control seems to be very good.
Old 14-08-2019, 07:21   #11

Location: The boat - New Bern, NC, USA; Us - Kingsport, TN, USA
Boat: 1988 Pacific Seacraft 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by odonnellryan View Post
I use Amazon a lot, but I wouldn't buy anything that wasn't from a verified source that I was trusting with my boat - like chain or rode or line etc..
The chain was sold by Amazon.com Services, Inc. themselves. The stamped links say "CMP" and "BBB". This is the label from the drum.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Drum Label.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	231.1 KB
ID:	197863  
wsmurdoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2019, 13:31   #12

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

Quote:
The chain was sold by Amazon.com Services, Inc. themselves. The stamped links say "CMP" and "BBB". This is the label from the drum.

Sames as our order too. The chain actually came direct from CMP warehouse.

Matt
Old 23-08-2019, 13:42   #13

Boat: 1980 Pacific International Marine 41.5

Well I decided to go with Titan. I purchased 150ft of it and 250ft of 8-plait from new england ropes.

Well see how it goes. For now the length of chain should suffice in the PNW, but if plans go accordingly, well replace it with all chain, but it will be a good demo for determining if we like Titan chain
chowdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2019, 14:12   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chowdan View Post
Well I decided to go with Titan. I purchased 150ft of it and 250ft of 8-plait from new england ropes.

Well see how it goes. For now the length of chain should suffice in the PNW, but if plans go accordingly, well replace it with all chain, but it will be a good demo for determining if we like Titan chain

Hope it does good for you. If you think about it let us know down the road if it holds up or turns into a pile of rust.
Old 23-08-2019, 18:45   #15

Boat: 55' Romsdal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bill View Post
Likely you bought their import product. Domestic ACCO chain holds up well, and is what is primarily sold by Washington Chain to the Coast Guard in the PNW. Washington Chain stopped selling import chain a few years ago, since it doesn't hold up, even if those trying to save a nickel wanted to buy it.

Easy to get duped when you're not paying attention, so don't feel bad.
Delfin is offline   Reply With Quote