Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-11-2015, 18:40   #16

Boat: plastic production boat, suitable for deep blue water ;)
Re: Stainless steel cleaning

I agree with Jim, my first choice is Oxalic acid, but I buy that from a commercial cleaning supplier or swimming pool shop, where a 2 kg container cost $20-$25, that will make 30 to 80 litres of rust-mark-removing liquid.

* Put some water (sea water works as well!) in a container, add the salts/crystals
* Make sure that you have cut on a finger: put the finger with cut in the solution, if it does not sting, make the solution stronger, if it hurts like hell, add some water. Just kidding, maybe wearing gloves is better, using 20-50 grams in a litre
* Apply with brush or cloth, let it soak for a few minutes, then rinse and rinse, and repeat acid application if needed
* Oxalic acid does not affect paint or gelcoat, and will remove rust stains from these surfaces as well
* However it leaves some white streaks on antifoul when the solution drips down the hull, but in my experience antifouling properties are not affected, and these streaks disappear over time.

After using on SS, or even at the time the oxalic acid is applied, a rubbing with a cutting compound or gumption (as mentioned already) or many other more expensive stuff, will restore shine as well. BTW, some stuff like Vim, Ajax and other scouring compounds might be too course for some applications.

Yes, pickling compounds (all strong acids) will passivate the SS but at the same time these acids are NOT good for one’s health, and may be absorbed via the skin. So take great care.

I found this website for more info: No, I have no connection with that company and I never purchased from them.
Oxalic Acid 100% - 1001 uses.... and still counting! Brilliant for Rust & Iron Stain Removal.
Old 08-11-2015, 18:47   #17

Boat: 56' CNSO Mikado Cutter Ketch

RC

I highly recommend Never Dull.

Very little effort and amazing results. It comes in a can and is like cotton. A little goes a long way

You will thank me later!!
Mikado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 03:02   #18

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40

Watch out for hydrofluoric pickling paste. Seriously nasty stuff... delayed action, no symptoms till later then it causes very deep burns and poisoning.
Old 09-11-2015, 03:45   #19

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

If removing rust from polished stainless, you do not want to use any abrasive method. The high polishing is part of the passivation, and small scratches will increase the rusting in the future.

So no Bartender's Friend, no bronze wool, no pumice and I wouldn't even use automotive cutting compound (although the very fine polishing grades may be fine).

Oxalic acid is good and cheap. Collonite Metal Wax has cleaning abilities as well as protective. Flitz and Never Dull can provide some aggressiveness without scratching. Jeweler's rouge and the like are also OK, but be sure you have the experience with polishing stainless if you choose to use a polisher with this.

Elbow grease is much more important than abrasion with the above.

But you really do not want to use any method that will put microscopic (or larger) scratches on the polished surface.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 06:27   #20

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Barkeepers Friend is oxalic acid and works well, a very economical solution. It does not appear to be abrasive. As posted earlier I use Spotless Stainless because it passivates as well. I think Spotless is citric acid.
Old 09-11-2015, 08:31   #21

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Yes, BKF is mostly oxalic, but the stuff I'm used to also had an abrasive in it. It is possible that it does not, then it would just be a more expensive version of oxalic acid that is common and cheap in hardware stores.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 08:50   #22

Boat: 55' sloop.

Phosphoric acid. Renews oxide layer for protection as well. Removes rust almost instantly, in part by converting it to iron phosphate.
‘Structural engineering is the art of modeling materials we do not wholly understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyse as to withstand forces we cannot properly assess in such a way that the public at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance.’
Muckle Flugga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 08:52   #23

Boat: 55' sloop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikado View Post
RC

I highly recommend Never Dull.

Very little effort and amazing results. It comes in a can and is like cotton. A little goes a long way

You will thank me later!!
LIke this stuff as well.
‘Structural engineering is the art of modeling materials we do not wholly understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyse as to withstand forces we cannot properly assess in such a way that the public at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance.’
Muckle Flugga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 09:10   #24

There are many things, some mentioned. The devil is in the detail... how rusty are your parts? Light general rust many things work well. I eventually just went to "3M Finesse It" for gel coat and SS both after getting tired of carrying a whole bucket full of "Special" different cleaners!
Be very careful using acid, the wrong acid or just too strong and it removes the rust well, but may attack the grain boundaries and re rust very quickly and worse.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 18:06   #25

Since arriving in Australia six years ago, we have often struggled to find equivalent cleaning products for our boat. Rust on stainless steel is always an ongoing issue - and by far the best of the lot we could get in Australia is the US-made citric acid-based gel called 'Spotless Stainless' - as mentioned by so many others in this thread. It is particularly excellent for removing rust wedged in areas where 'polishing' products cannot reach (blocks, tracks, etc.) because it is simply brushed on, allowed to stand for 30 minutes, and rinsed off with the hose. We were introduced to 'Spotless Stainless' by a local trimmer (canvas maker) here in Adelaide. However, it is no longer being imported from the US; with deep enough pockets you can probably still get it shipped in from the US.

Before 'Spotless Stainless' we used the phosphoric acid-based 'Industrial Strength Ranex Rustbuster' which is made in Australia and available from Bondall. Admittedly, the stuff works great (just brush it on) but it doesn't stay 'in place' easily like the gel does. It is readily available at Bunnings, Masters and Mitre 10, so, it is much easier to get your hands on some. However, if you have varnished wood - beware... it will 'etch' the surface of the glossy finish, so you must be very careful to thoroughly rinse all traces after use.

Before the above two products, we used 'Gel-Gloss' which is liquid cream product applied with a cloth - requiring a little elbow grease to remove the rust. However, the stuff works amazingly well and leaves a protective film on the stainless that helps to prevent the rust's rapid return. Gel-Gloss is actually a home product for cleaning fiberglass surfaces; I have occasionally been able to find it at Bunnings here in Australia so it is probably available other places in Oz as well.
Painted Skies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 18:22   #26

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Thanks everyone,

I have been reading and taking notes. I intend to get some Neverdul which is available in a local Autocheap store.

The spottless one is simply way too expensive to bring in from the US. It's $30 for the product and $57 for freight to Australia.

Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 19:15   #27

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure

Barkeeper's Friend More spray - oxalic and citric acids, with no abrasives. https://www.barkeepersfriend.com/cle...ts/spray-foam/
It's also dirt cheap.
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 19:22   #28

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Hey RC,

Don't use any of that mix of Jim's on yourself or you'll lose your charm.

Sent from my iPhone so apologies for weird autocorrect typos.
Old 10-11-2015, 08:34   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Painted Skies View Post
Since arriving in Australia six years ago, we have often struggled to find equivalent cleaning products for our boat. Rust on stainless steel is always an ongoing issue - and by far the best of the lot we could get in Australia is the US-made citric acid-based gel called 'Spotless Stainless' - as mentioned by so many others in this thread. It is particularly excellent for removing rust wedged in areas where 'polishing' products cannot reach (blocks, tracks, etc.) because it is simply brushed on, allowed to stand for 30 minutes, and rinsed off with the hose. We were introduced to 'Spotless Stainless' by a local trimmer (canvas maker) here in Adelaide. However, it is no longer being imported from the US; with deep enough pockets you can probably still get it shipped in from the US.

Before 'Spotless Stainless' we used the phosphoric acid-based 'Industrial Strength Ranex Rustbuster' which is made in Australia and available from Bondall. Admittedly, the stuff works great (just brush it on) but it doesn't stay 'in place' easily like the gel does. It is readily available at Bunnings, Masters and Mitre 10, so, it is much easier to get your hands on some. However, if you have varnished wood - beware... it will 'etch' the surface of the glossy finish, so you must be very careful to thoroughly rinse all traces after use.

Before the above two products, we used 'Gel-Gloss' which is liquid cream product applied with a cloth - requiring a little elbow grease to remove the rust. However, the stuff works amazingly well and leaves a protective film on the stainless that helps to prevent the rust's rapid return. Gel-Gloss is actually a home product for cleaning fiberglass surfaces; I have occasionally been able to find it at Bunnings here in Australia so it is probably available other places in Oz as well.
Yep, good stuff. Soft Scrub another similar one here in the states.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2015, 10:32   #30
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Endeavour E 43
Send a message via Skype™ to WolfgangSeaLife

How about Navy Gel?
WolfgangSeaLife is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cleaning, steel