Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-03-2011, 22:25   #1

Boat: Endeavour 37
Simrad AP24/28 worth the 5K plus install??

Anyone out there who has put the Simrad AP24 or AP28 autopilot with a HLD2000 linear drive to the test. I'm normally a big Garmin fan and they are just now coming out with a sailboat ap, but I don't want to be their lab rat. But before I drop the 5K plus install on the Simrad, I thought I would ask for other sailor's opinion of this claimed, best of the best, ap. Not only the unit but customer service as well. Please include the displacement of your boat in your response.

In accordance with the rules Simrad's contact info is: simrad-yachting.com (no direct email address was available at this site).
pjop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2011, 04:46   #2

Boat: Beneteau First 42
Re: Simrad AP24/28 worth the 5K plus install??

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjop View Post
Anyone out there who has put the Simrad AP24 or AP28 autopilot with a HLD2000 linear drive to the test. I'm normally a big Garmin fan and they are just now coming out with a sailboat ap, but I don't want to be their lab rat. But before I drop the 5K plus install on the Simrad, I thought I would ask for other sailor's opinion of this claimed, best of the best, ap. Not only the unit but customer service as well. Please include the displacement of your boat in your response.

In accordance with the rules Simrad's contact info is: simrad-yachting.com (no direct email address was available at this site).

That cost number for the equipment seems unusually high. See Simrad Autopilot AP24, AP2403 with Rudder Feedback at The GPS Store as a more reasonable example. While I don't know how your rudder system is set up and so cannot venture a guess as to your installation costs I cannot imagine that they would exceed $1000 except under unusual circumstances.

We have an earlier version of this system on a 42+ foot, 21000 lb yacht and it has worked extremely well.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2011, 06:03   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post
That cost number for the equipment seems unusually high. See Simrad Autopilot AP24, AP2403 with Rudder Feedback at The GPS Store as a more reasonable example. While I don't know how your rudder system is set up and so cannot venture a guess as to your installation costs I cannot imagine that they would exceed $1000 except under unusual circumstances.

We have an earlier version of this system on a 42+ foot, 21000 lb yacht and it has worked extremely well.

FWIW...
I just realized the above link does not include the Linear Drive so it may not be particularly helpful. A combine package from py yacht would be about $3900 USD.

Sorry about the error...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Old 25-03-2011, 08:31   #4

Boat: Endeavour 37

Thanks HyLyte, you may have just save me a grand. Defender had the package without drive for approximately 3k and another 2k for the dirve. Good to hear that this ap unit has done well for you. I think I'm going to make the jump as soon as I get the install estimate.
pjop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2011, 07:21   #5

Boat: Endeavour 37 Plan A

Doing the same info search. i sent you a pm. now just searching for the best deal out there. you and i have the same boat. looks as though well need a way to mount the ram to the rudder post. edson makes a mount bu i hear it is mighty pricey. what did you thing about the B&G unit?
Old 29-03-2011, 08:14   #6

Boat: Maverick 400 Catamaran

I have the following, AP28, AC42 course computer, HLD2000 MK2L drive, RF300 rudder feedback unit and RC42 rate compass.

The system is mounted on a Maverick 400 catamaran. I absolutely love it, it steers the boat brilliantly, whether on wind or compass course. Running at 150deg with a big assymetrical up in big winds with a 4.5m swell on the quarter it never missed a beat and steered perfectly.
paulrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2011, 08:37   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulrack View Post
I have the following, AP28, AC42 course computer, HLD2000 MK2L drive, RF300 rudder feedback unit and RC42 rate compass.

The system is mounted on a Maverick 400 catamaran. I absolutely love it, it steers the boat brilliantly, whether on wind or compass course. Running at 150deg with a big assymetrical up in big winds with a 4.5m swell on the quarter it never missed a beat and steered perfectly.
What is the difference in the 24 and the 28 if i may ask?
did you do the install?
Old 29-03-2011, 09:40   #8

How does one decide which (stroke) to purchase? 8 or the 13?
Old 29-03-2011, 09:57   #9

i'm guessing the drive unit stroke depends on mounting space available. as i recall there is room under the port side in the lazaret. I can't look because im in another state. can anyone with an endeavour remind me or take a picture of the 37.5? my model has a ice box which i modified into the propane tank storage.
So im thinking a 13 inch stroke.
Old 29-03-2011, 10:13   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorduff1978e View Post
How does one decide which (stroke) to purchase? 8 or the 13?
Firstly, decide whether you can use a separte arm or whether you will have to connect the ram to the top of your quadrant. In either case, with the rudder centered, pick and mark a point on the port or starboard side of the quadrant on a line perpendicular to the centerline of the yacht that is the same distance from the rudder post as the length of the separate arm or mounting point on the quadrant you might use. Then rotate the rudder to its stops on either side, measuring the distace of the marked point on the quadrant to a reference point at or where the drive would logically be mounted. Remember, the drive must be able to rotate itself and the shortest throw will be a line from the fulcrum of the drive, through the marked point on the quadrant and too the vertical center of the rudderpost. To maximize the efficiency of the drive, on wants the separate arm or mounting point on the quadrant itself to be as far as reasonably possible away from the rudder post to maximize its leverage although that will lessen response time some minor amount when using the tack and dodge functions. Our drive is connected to a post fixed to the quadrant itself that is about 15" from the certer of the rudder post and we have the longer stroke drive.

The foregoing is somewhat more difficult to describe than to actually do.

FWIW there is a calibration function on the Autopilot by which you set the rudder-stop positions while in your slip. You will then go to sea and active the calibration function which will put the yacht through a series of turns by which the pilot will "learn" the response of the boat and correct ranges of motion. Note that the positioning of the Fluxgate properly is an important aspect of getting the pilot to work well. Follow the instructions for that religiously.

FWIW...
Old 29-03-2011, 10:35   #11

svHylYte: wow theres alot to take in there. it will be benificial to come back to your posts when im actually doing the install. thanks for your input. say wasnt it just last week you were in St Augustine?
Old 29-03-2011, 10:45   #12
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Camper Nicholson 44 Ketch

What do you all think of the DD15 drive from Simrad? It is made by Jefa:

Jefa direct drive unit type I

The Simrad version includes the rudder feedback unit. I am shopping for an autopilot as well, and have all but settled on a Simrad system with this drive. They say it draws less power than a linear drive. Our quadrant is behind the rudder post, so installing would be relatively easy.

Chris
witzgall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2011, 11:08   #13

Boat: Pearson 424, 42' - Kismet
I have the ap24 / ac48 combo with an older non-simrad drive unit that was already there when I bought the boat. The autopilot works great, keeping the boat exactly on track even in rough weather. We stay exactly on course unless we are really getting knocked around. Even then it keeps on course way better than I can and corrects faster without oversteering.

I'm on a 42' Pearson weighing in at about 26000 lbs.

Have the pumps with the drive units gotten any quieter in the last 15 years? The one I have isn't terribly loud but quite audible as it pushes the rudder back and forth... Just wondering...
kismet424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2011, 11:14   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by witzgall View Post
What do you all think of the DD15 drive from Simrad? It is made by Jefa:

Jefa direct drive unit type I

The Simrad version includes the rudder feedback unit. I am shopping for an autopilot as well, and have all but settled on a Simrad system with this drive. They say it draws less power than a linear drive. Our quadrant is behind the rudder post, so installing would be relatively easy.

Chris
Frankly, I probably sound like I know a lot more than I actually do and I am particularly handicapped when it comes to matters electric (Gordon May will confirm that I'm confident). However, based upon my limited knowledge, I suggest you go with the hydraulic drive rather than electric, if possible. The only drive failures I have seen have been in the electric versions regardless of manufacturer. The second most common failure I've seen has been in the mounting of the drive assembly which must be terrifically strong to take the loads imposed when the yacht's in a seaway in rough weather.

FWIW...

PS:

Quote:
svHylYte: wow theres alot to take in there. it will be benificial to come back to your posts when im actually doing the install. thanks for your input. say wasnt it just last week you were in St Augustine?
Nope. Never been to St. Augustine
Old 29-03-2011, 13:53   #15
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Camper Nicholson 44 Ketch

Well Gord, is HyLyte confident?

Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post
Frankly, I probably sound like I know a lot more than I actually do and I am particularly handicapped when it comes to matters electric (Gordon May will confirm that I'm confident). However, based upon my limited knowledge, I suggest you go with the hydraulic drive rather than electric, if possible. The only drive failures I have seen have been in the electric versions regardless of manufacturer. The second most common failure I've seen has been in the mounting of the drive assembly which must be terrifically strong to take the loads imposed when the yacht's in a seaway in rough weather.

FWIW...

PS:

Nope. Never been to St. Augustine
witzgall is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
simrad