Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-10-2007, 14:05   #1

Location: Winters - Out Cruising / Summers in the NC mountains
Boat: Brewer 42
Propane water heater

Is anyone familiar with this water heater? They clain that 20lbs of propane will give you 940 gallons of hot water.

Gas water heaters hot water heaters propane residential commercial
rleslie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 15:58   #2

Boat: Fantasia 35
I have a Nymph RV instant propane water heater. It cost less then $100 in 1987. Still works! It is mounted in the head without an external vent. I just take a sailors shower with the portlight open and the head door open to vent the CO.
Viking Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 16:17   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viking Sailor View Post
I have a Nymph RV instant propane water heater. It cost less then $100 in 1987. Still works! It is mounted in the head without an external vent. I just take a sailors shower with the portlight open and the head door open to vent the CO.
Thanks for the info. Is the Nymph designed to be non-vented or do you just like to live on the edge? <g>

I wonder if there are any non-vented instant heaters that can be used aboard. I haven't been able to find one.
Old 06-10-2007, 16:33   #4

Venting of the Nymph is optional. If worrying about a little CO is living on the edge - then obviously the most important equipment on your boat are the dock lines. <g>
Old 06-10-2007, 21:41   #5

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viking Sailor View Post
I have googled and been unable to find anything on them.

??
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 22:32   #6

Boat: CAL 3-46
Send a message via AIM to Latitude9.5
We have the showermate, been using it for almost a year now, it is one of the best purchases we made for the boat. Hardly uses any gas, water is always hot and takes up very little space in the engine room. Definetely recommend it.
Latitude9.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 09:21   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rleslie View Post
Is anyone familiar with this water heater? They clain that 20lbs of propane will give you 940 gallons of hot water.

Gas water heaters hot water heaters propane residential commercial
This would be about 60% thermal eff (LHV), pretty resonable for a smallish unit. based on USG. on IG it would be 72%
jscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 10:44   #8

Lat9.5 - Thanks for the recomendation on the Shower-Mate.

VikingSailor - I also can't find anything on the Nymph.
Old 09-10-2007, 11:41   #9

Boat: Vic Franck Delta 50
Good on the no-pilot-light; my new boat has an old Bosch demand water heater and the insurance companies are complaining. Survey mentioned it, but only advised that I keep it lit only when in use.

Steve
Old 09-10-2007, 13:05   #10

I can't find anything on the Nymph or the UK company that made it either. It is after all over twenty years old. My underlining point is that $1450 may be more then one needs to pay for a propane water heater. You might want to run by your local RV store and see if they have anything less costly.
Old 09-10-2007, 17:40   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
Survey mentioned it, but only advised that I keep it lit only when in use.
It's what I do. The unit has a ingnition button that is easy enough to operate (Hold one button and press another). I also have a shutoff valve to operate as well. I don't turn on the celenoid if i don't intend to use the hot water.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 18:29   #12

Boat: 1983 Gulfstar 36
I wonder what happened to a well known local resident here in Annapolis. She died of CO in the shower on a 'PROPER YACHT' equiped with an "on demand unit" . It was not disclosed if it was an old unit. I personally know of one installed in the galley that the pilot light was extinguished in a moderate wind. Much like modern home appliance'sI the new technolgy is great but CO detectors should be on the boat.
Geeze I look forward to fuel cells. We cruisers live on the largest supply of energy on the planet. I hope we live to see the application.

"Yes, well.. perhaps some more wine" (Julia Child)
S/V Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 02:16   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
She died of CO in the shower on a 'PROPER YACHT' equipped with an "on demand unit" .
It has to be a faulty burner to produce that much CO. The burner does need oxygen from some place. With "on demand" the main burner is only open for the "demand". Using such a system in the dead of winter might be a problem though our boat was in Delaware 2 winters ago with a liveaboard.

Just a pilot light alone can never produce enough CO. All that aside I do agree a CO sensor is a valuable tool on every boat.

Quote:
I personally know of one installed in the galley that the pilot light was extinguished in a moderate wind.
It should never be an issue. Pilot light goes out and the main burner refuses to open. It's been a standard on home appliances for more than 50 years. For my on demand unit I open the solenoid on the main panel, open the propane valve to the unit. Slide the interlock in position. Push the pilot valve at the same time push the pezio starter to light the pilot. Hold the pilot valve a few more seconds. When I let go if the pilot sensor is hot enough it holds the pilot valve open and then I can slide the interlock in place. On demand hot water is now available. Most all gas home hot water heaters start this way exclusive of the solenoid. When finished I slide the interlock off and close the valve and shut the solenoid unless I'm going to cook on the stove. Using both at the same time is possible too. With a bad stove oven burner you could die quicker than from an on demand hot water heater.

Quote:
I look forward to fuel cells.
Currently fuel cells are an energy deficit device. Like most technologies that are expensive to operate the total energy budget to make them and use them is more than the energy they produce. Propane is a great fuel cell. It burns cleaner than any other fuel. Fuel cells are the great hope of comic books and junk science.

We cruisers do have the largest energy supply on the planet. It's called solar and it also makes "the wind" powered by the ultimate fuel cell - "the sun". Between the two there already is enough energy.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 05:23   #14

Boat: Westsail 32
Several commercial companies making fuel cells with many building installations worldwide, however until the cost of fossil fuels (oil) goes much higher the fuel cell makes no financial sense. Also for a fuel cell to operate efficiently they have to be running constantly, would not make sense for an on demand application such as a hot shower.
cburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 08:35   #15

Boat: 1983 Gulfstar 36
Paul, Good points on the heaters. Operator error is always the reason folks get in trouble with these and other devices.

I agree fuel cells (Hydrogen) are a very long way from being mainstream but it will happen someday. Perhaps. A few hundred years from now they will wonder why we did not figure it out sooner. I am happy to use my solar panels which still amaze me.
Will.

"Yes, well.. perhaps some more wine" (Julia Child)
S/V Antares is offline   Reply With Quote