Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-03-2017, 11:32   #16

Boat: Bruce Roberts Ketch 40
Re: Looking at Portable Freezer Fridges

I really like the idea of freezing water bottles and converting my dead fridge into an ice box, rather that try to fix it.
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 11:52   #17

I have been doing some research on the same subject. Right now this would be my pick:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004P9C032...MEKO9CSW&psc=1
rms95835 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 13:10   #18

Boat: Coronet Oceanfarer30

I've got a Waeco compressor type portable fridge freezer and have nothing but trouble with it!
Ironman162 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 13:12   #19

Boat: Beneteau 343

So far I very much like my Engel. I am thinking of getting another to use one for fridg and one for freezer. Expensive but they appear to be worth it and they are on sale now.
EmeraldCoastSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 14:01   #20

Boat: 1996 49' Krogen Express

While I wouldn't consider it portable, I can speak to the quality of my Engel refrig/freezer MT80. It has been on my flybridge for 6 plus years not and have had no problems at all with it. Some of the hinges are somewhat rusting, but fully functional. Had to clean contacts once. I do have the cover on it which I'm sure has helped. I think I paid around $1400.00 back when, so am quite happy with the investment. But... NOT PORTABLE.
kelbylinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 14:55   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelbylinn View Post
While I wouldn't consider it portable, I can speak to the quality of my Engel refrig/freezer MT80. It has been on my flybridge for 6 plus years not and have had no problems at all with it. Some of the hinges are somewhat rusting, but fully functional. Had to clean contacts once. I do have the cover on it which I'm sure has helped. I think I paid around $1400.00 back when, so am quite happy with the investment. But... NOT PORTABLE.
I can only assume you believe them to be not portable due to the weight, while ideally having 2 people to do the carrying is better (my partner and I move it quite easily) I can move ours around myself, in fact ours lives up in the V berth and there is no room for a second person to get it in and out of there, so I have to do that on my own, and I'm a long long way from been a Dwayne Johnson, in both size and age.....

Yes they are at the top end of the spectrum weight wise, but they are designed to be portable, they are not a FIXED unit, which I believe is what the OP doesn't want....
IslandHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 15:07   #22

I really like the looks of the Whynter DZ models. I'm thinking of replacing my 3.2 Sylvania with an 85q Whynter but no dual zone but can function as either a fridge or a freezer.

I have a huge custom 6" fiberglass insulated icebox in the cockpit but going outside in the rain it doesn't get used much so far.

The 3.2 cu ft upright fridge would be better served if it could be placed horizontally like the Whynter fridge.

I made a post about that in this same forum if anyone knows more about that aspect of modifying one of these from their home brewing days or otherwise. Doesn't seem to be that difficult of a project to undertake but unsure if the freezer will work after.
PacificGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 15:31   #23

Boat: 1981 51' Formosa

We use this for our refrigerator

https://www.amazon.com/Dometic-CF-08.../dp/B005X9KO86

And this for our freezer

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/engel...4YkaAiVO8P8HAQ

Formosa Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 18:59   #24

Boat: Seawind 1250

We have a 40 litre Engel with a canvas vented cover that gives protection and insulation. I have had this fridge/freezer for over 20 years, initially as a camping fridge. Power draw is very mild and it just keeps going and going. Easy to get fixed if necessary (replaced a compressor once). Good cold beer!
Seawindow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 19:56   #25

Boat: Lightwave 38' Catamaran - now sold

We have three Engel fridge/freezers of varying size and ages. The oldest one is about 30 years old, still works but its power consumption on 12v is high, so we purchased a new one about 5 years ago. Hardly uses any power when running as a fridge in the hot Australian summer in our Toyota 4WD. Have used it for 4 days on a 100 ah battery with a small solar input (air temperature 35C, say 95F). The other one is about 25 years old and smaller, also runs perfectly and uses hardly any power.
clownfishsydney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 05:58   #26

Boat: Formerly Pearson 28-1, now just a sailing dinghy

I found this review on the Engel vs dometic/waeco. Don't know the source (would have to ask an Aussie off-roader) but it seems to capture the differences pretty clearly and concisely:

https://www.snowys.com.au/blog/waeco...owys-outdoors/
brownoarsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 08:51   #27

I'd also like to know if anything changes between the size ranges for dometic. Is it the same size compressor, number of elements or whatever else might influence the cooling, but just packaged in a bigger box? Or do the underlying mechanicals change? Can't tell from the product listings on Amazon, though the pricing there is odd with the 26L costing $50 more than the 35L, and then the 38L being the single most expensive model until you hit 95L.
Old 11-03-2017, 09:06   #28
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownoarsman View Post
I'd also like to know if anything changes between the size ranges for dometic. Is it the same size compressor, number of elements or whatever else might influence the cooling, but just packaged in a bigger box? Or do the underlying mechanicals change? Can't tell from the product listings on Amazon,
I don't know. Its one of the problems now everything is bought off the net.

What I can tell you is yesterday I just stuffed in 15.9 (7.2kgs) pounds of unfrozen meat into my Dometic CF 25
And there's 3 blocks of butter, a 1 qt/L milk in there too.
This morning I shuffled the steaks around so freezing would be even. Tomorrow they will all be hard as a rock.

I have a small sheet of foam above the steak so the milk carton will stay unfrozen.
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 09:14   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
I don't know. Its one of the problems now everything is bought off the net.
Too true, there is actual value in a knowledgeable distribution network!

I emailed dometic customer service as well, so I'm hoping for a response from them.

Pretty good review of the dometic 25 from you! Engel certainly has the years in business, but there appear to be quite a few cruisers with 5+ years on their dometics who mostly have good things to say!
Old 11-03-2017, 09:40   #30
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

I had the feeling Engle was about double the price of Dometic. I could be wrong.

Mine was about $400 and the Engle $800 but its been about 4 years and the putty keeping my eyes in is a bit flaky.
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
freezer