Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-01-2018, 13:00   #16

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler
Re: LED Flashlight

Quote:
Originally Posted by puffcard View Post
I can't believe more boaters aren't using 18650 Li-ion battery flashlights. No comparison to any AA light, small and very bright. If the zombies come, you need the best flashlight. Think we have about dozen, ready to go.
Yet another battery type and charger aboard?
Rather not if I can help it.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 13:34   #17

Boat: Tartan 37

Really need more than one. I like a head light, for working in engineroom, not bad on a dingy. A general purpose flashlight with wide beam, is a must. For coming in a harbor at night, one with a powerful spotlight is nice to have. I like one for underwater up to 100ft Nothing like cutting line out of your prop at night, also food for diving. A smaller waterproof one to fit in your pocket for nightwatch, is nice to have. Also think about a red or green flashlight to not kill your night vision. Some lights can certainly do multiple jobs, most of mine under $20.
puffcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 13:43   #18
mrm

Boat: crew on Bavaria 38 Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post

Yet another battery type and charger aboard?
Rather not if I can help it.
This is a valid argument and is beeing discussed between flashlight enthusiasts probably as frequently as anchors are between sailors

One has to decide by themselves. For me the benefits of 18650 cells outweigh the small additional hassle.
Anyway, if one already has some USB chargers on board, adding a charger like this

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1865...824517251.html

or this

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/VONT...827041409.html

and experimenting a bit doesn't cost much.
mrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 13:47   #19

Boat: Morgan Out Island 415

Wait, there's flashlight enthusiasts?
Old 06-01-2018, 14:09   #20
mrm

Boat: crew on Bavaria 38 Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwedeking2 View Post
Wait, there's flashlight enthusiasts?
Yes
I think CandlePowerForums is the most known place for people with interest in flashlights etc., at least among English speaking.
mrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 14:18   #21

Boat: Tartan 37

After you start modifying lights, you cannot even pick up a Maglight. But if anybody wanted the same flashlight, they would only make one. Think there's close to a 1/4 million on Amazon alone and a lot of them are sat. This is another active forum of flashlight junkies with a ton of recommendations.

LED Flashlights | BudgetLightForum.com
puffcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 20:35   #22

Boat: Tartan 3800

Quote:
Originally Posted by puffcard View Post
I can't believe more boaters aren't using 18650 Li-ion battery flashlights. No comparison to any AA light, small and very bright. If the zombies come, you need the best flashlight. Think we have about dozen, ready to go.
I have a number of 18650 dive lights from http://www.divegearexpress.com. They are inexpensive for their quality, and have performed well. They are useful both at depth and topside.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 20:46   #23

It looks like you've already got plenty of good suggestions but I'll throw my 2 cents in.

For years I've had the same problem with flashlights, they last a few months, then start to flicker and stop working. I bought four of these from amazon and they've worked out VERY well. Waterproof, floating, brightly colored, and the battery seems to last a good long while. It's even stood up to my girls!

I like them so much, I recommended them on our blog.
sailingunity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 21:20   #24
rbk

Boat: T37

I had a buddy on board who’s a flashlight enthusiast. We were anchored in a small bay and I had pulled out the 1.5mil candle light spotlight to see if there was anything on shore. He laughed at my spotlight and brought out a little 3” x 3/4” dia flashlight he had in his pocket. I laughed and asked what he was going to do with that little thing...he drown out my spotlight and lit the entire bay up. I couldn’t believe it. It was a 1000 lumen Fenix, about $100 cnd $75 usd. He says he’s still on the original battery and has had it for about a year and a half can use rechargeable or the 18650. Pretty sure most of not all models are all waterproof, aluminium housing, LED and so on. Still haven’t picked one up yet but I intend too.
rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 21:46   #25

Have been using these at work and play for a few years now, solid and reliable, haven't had a torch or battery failure yet.....

Heider Official Online Store Products

Be Brave, Take Risks, Nothing Can Substitute Experience
IslandHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 22:07   #26

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbk View Post
....... He says he’s still on the original battery and has had it for about a year and a half can use rechargeable or the 18650. Pretty sure most of not all models are all waterproof, aluminium housing, LED and so on. Still haven’t picked one up yet but I intend too.
Yes, my Aleto N1 torch with the Cree LED came with an adapter so you could use 3 x AAA's in place of the rechargeable 18650.

As I also have a radio ( Tecsun 880 ) that uses the 18650 I bought a couple of spare batts and a Nitecor D2 Intelicharger https://www.gearbest.com/chargers-ba...SABEgIT8_D_BwE which lets me change out the batt on the instant rather than having to muck around plugging the torch or radio in and doing it that way.

The charger also does AA's and AAA's and a heap of other types, good value.
Old 07-01-2018, 04:46   #27

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Charlie--For what its worth, we have MagLite flashlights in each compartment aboard our boat, all purchased at the same time 15 years ago. Some while back, I purchase LED replacement bulbs from SuperBrightLEDS. They were not inexpensive but the improvement was quite remarkable. Regardless of actual usage, we replace all of the batteries in our battery powered appliances aboard the boat during the first week in January each year to ensure they'll work when needed. Batteries still showing a charge within "spec's" are taken home for use there. Others, to the recycle drop at our local waste management station. One approach I have found useful is treating the O-ring seals on our flashlights with a coating of silicon lubricant, and the battery contacts and threads with a coating on NoOx, when I change the batteries to prevent deterioration.
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 05:42   #28

Boat: Kaufman 47

I'll second the recommendation for Streamlight. Good quality and they are a good price. We use the small pen lights at work offshore and on our boat. My police friend uses a bigger one and it's gnarly. Amazon sells them for good price. Don't buy the Streamlight from West Marine because it's way over priced.

For head lamps, Black Diamond or Petzl can't be beat. They are for mountain climbers and cave spalunkers(sp?) so they are quality and built for water and impact resistance.

For a spotlight, I'll be getting the Marinebeam LRT spotlight beam, it's basically like a laser. It has minimal light spillage so you don't blind yourself from light hitting stuff on your boat.

No affiliation with any of the above.

Ronnie
SailRedemption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 10:22   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbk View Post
.. I laughed and asked what he was going to do with that little thing...he drown out my spotlight and lit the entire bay up. I
Kind of glad I read this. For whatever reason, I assumed that a 12v spotlight (corded) would be hard to beat. I'll have to start researching more on these handheld battery flashlightlights, although I do like the idea of a heftier, pistol-grip light. Feel like I'd be less likely to misplace it.
patrickvan3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 12:33   #30

Boat: 2008 Nordic Tug 37

As a former firefighter, I trust Maglites. I have a 3D LED Maglite mounted above my helm door and a 2D mounted next to the cockpit door. These are the two that I want to work every time. I carry an underwater 2C Pelican light in my dinghy.
Waterford is offline   Reply With Quote