Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-03-2021, 17:41   #1

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 40
Jabsco V-Flo 5.0 probems

We have a Jabsco V-Flo 5.0 variable speed, 5 gpm, pressure water pump. This pump doesn't use an accumulator. It's bloody expensive at $360.

It worked well for under a year. It's stopped turning on when the faucet is opened. Obviously pressure sensing (the sensor +/or controller) is amiss.

Since we need water I just installed a new pump this evening. This one won't turn off when the faucet is turned off. Obviously pressure sensing is amiss.

I've read of others having the same problems with this pump starting years ago. I want to replace the old one and will return the new one.

If you've had this pump, has it worked for you?

If not:
What pressure pump do you use?
What accumulator do you use?

Thank you.
vpbarkley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 18:56   #2

Boat: 1999 Hunter 410
Re: Jabsco V-Flo 5.0 probems

Yes, mine is fine but I did put in the 1 ltr accumulation tank with it. Much smoother and actually quieter operation. The on off cycling at lower flow volume was driving me crazy.
Windpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 19:37   #3

I'm 0 for 2 with this pump and out $720. This is ludicrous.
Old 09-03-2021, 19:56   #4

Boat: 1999 Hunter 410

Are you sure the new one you put in doesn't have an airlock,or something. Doesn't sound right.
And I believe these pumps have a 2 year warranty.
In all the years of owning pumps like this I only experience the rubber diaphrams getting old and not holding pressure.
Windpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 09:27   #5

We had a working system for almost a year. Then the pump started to lag and not regulate flow well. Finally it refused to turn on.

The new pump works fine but won't turn off. Since the symptoms are opposite I would not fault the rest of the water system.

The water system was refurbished a year ago with all new hoses, valves and elimination of all the "push on" type fittings that were used.

Those "push on" type fittings don't leak water but do leak air under slight vacuum. This allows air to enter the system upstream of the pressure pump.
Old 10-03-2021, 09:54   #6

We are on the third pump in two years, covered under warranty jabsco has up graded , the pump last year . Has been working well since.
Canopus199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 10:38   #7
Marine Service Provider

Why would you buy a so-called "modern sophisticated" expensive piece of crap the quits on you forthwith when a simple pump and accumulator system will work for decades. Just to be woke I guess.
jmschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 10:55   #8

They come standard on new boats.
Canopus199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 14:05   #9

I replaced the OE diaphragm pump and accumulator when I refurbished the entire water system last year. The pump was leaking and knocking. The accumulator was leaking and rusted.

If I had known the Jabsco V-Flo 5.0 was an expensive piece of crap I wouldn't have bought it.

How about answering the question?
Old 10-03-2021, 14:30   #10
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Jenneau Prestige 46
Send a message via Skype™ to desdestiny

I had one of these pumps which failed after 8 months.
The problem is in the pressure sensor mechanism and cannot be repaired.
I replaced the pump with a standard mechanical switched pump (Low cost pump) and an external pressure controller device - which performs the same variable speed function. The external device uses a scientific grade pressure sensor and being external the PCB and control adjustment is easy to access.

Search for "Even Flow Pressure Controller"

A standard pump is inexpensive and the Even Flow device is half the cost of the VariFlow pump.
And reliable!

desdestiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 17:22   #11
tml

Boat: Lafitte 44

Went thru 3 of these pumps. #3 failed soon enough that West Marine gave us a full refund, We bought a Johnson with an accumulaor; not cheap but works great.
All failed the same way. It began to hunt for pressure running until it was turned off by the over heat switch. Eventually it ran until it burned out.
Genuine piece of crap
Tom
tml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 18:58   #12
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

I have used an older version for 10 years, wearing them out so that even a rebuild didn’t work anymore, knowing that newer versions were cr@p.

I have tried another brand that used to be good but now also many problems so switched again, this time to Marco Pumps.

https://www.go2marine.com/Marco-UP3-...re-Pump-12-24V

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2021, 11:10   #13

I was able to return the new and failed Jabsco pump. I purchased a Johnson Aqua Jet WPS 5.2 water pressure pump (5.2 GPM). This is a simple constant speed pump with an integrated pressure switch which cost $165.

The Johnson pump has the same type of fluid fittings as the Jabsco pump (an O-ring fitting with a sliding retainer). And it fit in the same place, just requiring new mounting holes.

How does it work? With any single faucet open the pump cycles (on and off) approx. every two seconds. With any two faucets open the pump runs continuously.

I suspect the pump's 5.2 GPM flow rate exceeds the flow capability of the boat's faucets. Our faucet flow is more than adequate for our needs however.

We do not have an accumulator in the system. I suspect that with an accumulator the pump would cycle every several seconds.

Questions:
1. With the pump cycling every two seconds, will the pump tend to fail in a short time?
2. Should I purchase pump with a lower flow rating?
3. Do I need to use an accumulator with this pump?

Thank you
Old 13-03-2021, 11:20   #14
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by vpbarkley View Post
I was able to return the new and failed Jabsco pump. I purchased a Johnson Aqua Jet WPS 5.2 water pressure pump (5.2 GPM). This is a simple constant speed pump with an integrated pressure switch which cost $165.

The Johnson pump has the same type of fluid fittings as the Jabsco pump (an O-ring fitting with a sliding retainer). And it fit in the same place, just requiring new mounting holes.

How does it work? With any single faucet open the pump cycles (on and off) approx. every two seconds. With any two faucets open the pump runs continuously.

I suspect the pump's 5.2 GPM flow rate exceeds the flow capability of the boat's faucets. Our faucet flow is more than adequate for our needs however.

We do not have an accumulator in the system. I suspect that with an accumulator the pump would cycle every several seconds.

Questions:
1. With the pump cycling every two seconds, will the pump tend to fail in a short time?
2. Should I purchase pump with a lower flow rating?
3. Do I need to use an accumulator with this pump?

Thank you
1: yes
2: no
3: yes

Not that you asked, but the Marco pump I linked before is a better option imho.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2021, 16:19   #15

Check your wire size. Voltage drop can kill these pumps.
drb1025 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jabsco