Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-02-2022, 09:24   #16

Re: Jabsco V-Flo 5.0 probems

I bought one of these about a year ago and have had all the same problems. The pump works great WHEN it works. When the system pressure drops below 40psi, the pump will turn on very low and run until it overheats and then turns off. I have to constantly reset the breaker to turn it back on.
The pump is very sensitive to voltage. I installed a voltage regulator to keep the pump supply voltage at 13.8V and it worked correctly most of the time. I got away with using the pump for about 6 months until the voltage regulator died. I've been buying voltage regulators from Amazon and it's a huge PITA, because they are extremely unreliable. I don't know if the problem is crappy voltage regulators and/or if the regulators simply can't handle the surge load of the pump startup. BTW, I know some of the regulators were bad out of the box because I tested them before putting them under load. I upgraded my wiring to 6 AWG (about 30 foot roundtrip wire run) to help with the voltage drop. The pump sounds slightly beefier with the new wiring, but it still has the same cycling problems.

I can source a voltage regulator designed to handle high motor loads, but they cost almost as much as a water pressure pump - this seems like a bad path to take only to compensate for a bad pump design.

Voltage seems to make a big difference though. During the summer months when the battery voltages average higher, the pump works fine. During the winter months when the battery voltage averages lower, the pump cycles constantly (requires breaker resets) all day.

I think I'll be calling Jabsco and ask what they have to offer. The pump has a 3 year warranty.
Kally13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2022, 10:02   #17

Some May disagree but I avoid purchasing any jabsco or rule products. As You can be guaranteed they will fail prematurely as they are cheaply made
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2022, 13:49   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by motion30 View Post
Some May disagree but I avoid purchasing any jabsco or rule products. As You can be guaranteed they will fail prematurely as they are cheaply made
What brands do you recommend?
Old 20-02-2022, 13:59   #19
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

havent Jansco discontinued all their variable speed pumps anyway , theres none in the current catalogue AFAIK
Old 20-02-2022, 14:04   #20

they discontinued this one, VFlo 5 pump for certain. I don't know about the others.
Old 20-02-2022, 14:07   #21
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kally13 View Post
they discontinued this one, VFlo 5 pump for certain. I don't know about the others.
I thnk they are all gone , I have several units the last one a 24v one always lost control of the pump speed, when the battery was being charged at the voltage climbed to 28V . Jabsco never really debugged these pumps properly and I think the whole concept is gone which is a pity as it was a decent concept

( The issue also were problems with inadequate heatsinks for the MOSFETS motor drive circuits that made them very fragile )

The concept was good, it was let down by bad engineering
Old 20-02-2022, 14:19   #22
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

The first generation of these Jabsco V-sensor pumps worked flawlessly aboard Jedi for 10+ years. I tried rebuilding them but when replacing one part, another starts falling apart because they were just worn out.

So now, when you get sick of playing with the cheaply built but costly nonetheless pumps, try some real ones like these: https://www.go2marine.com/Marco-UP3-...re-Pump-12-24V

s/v Jedi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2022, 14:24   #23
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
The first generation of these Jabsco V-sensor pumps worked flawlessly aboard Jedi for 10+ years. I tried rebuilding them but when replacing one part, another starts falling apart because they were just worn out.

So now, when you get sick of playing with the cheaply built but costly nonetheless pumps, try some real ones like these: https://www.go2marine.com/Marco-UP3-...re-Pump-12-24V
Ive had some of those Italian Marco pumps, nice but not much different to the basic jabsco pump

Ive never had a problem with Jansco plain simple pumps , reliable, and worldwide parts in any chandlery . The variable speed pumps were never fully debugged and it showed
Old 20-02-2022, 14:46   #24
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Ive had some of those Italian Marco pumps, nice but not much different to the basic jabsco pump

Ive never had a problem with Jansco plain simple pumps , reliable, and worldwide parts in any chandlery . The variable speed pumps were never fully debugged and it showed
The Marco pumps are variable speed, right?

s/v Jedi is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
jabsco