Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-01-2014, 16:48   #1

hlmffsailmaker.com in China

Anyone used them?

I have a quote and want to order if I hear good things about them.

I just have one positive review on cruiserslog.com/forum. I'd like to have another one or two.

Thanks
aneblanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 20:20   #2

Boat: Walker H28 30 foot
Re: hlmffsailmaker.com in China

Quote:
Originally Posted by aneblanc View Post
Anyone used them?

I have a quote and want to order if I hear good things about them.

I just have one positive review on cruiserslog.com/forum. I'd like to have another one or two.

Thanks
Wondered if you used them or not how it went
HG02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 02:17   #3

Boat: CT-47

Not visited this loft but some issues strike me at first sight when looking at their website:

On their contacts page, the business partners such as the US Agent has his name misspelled, or is he really called "Edword"?
The sail engineer is called "Sergay" I sincerely hope this is a typo.
The company does not display their ICP number, although not compulsory for a .com domain, I would expect it as good practice from a china mainland company.
The second bank account listed is a private account, not really the right thing to do for a company.

Maybe these are all small mistakes the company is unaware of, before ordering, ask them at least for a business license and export license copy, these licenses should correspond with the bank details in regard of the company name.

If you need translation help (the licenses are issued in Chinese language) you can PM me.
gabilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 03:16   #4

I finally ordered from Hong Kong Sailmakers. I can't say much until now because I haven't received the sails. Their quote was half the one of Lee Sails, my former sail maker, but that wasn't difficult as Lee's quote was the second most expensive of 5, almost as expensive as the local North loft.
The communication with HKSM was excellent. Remind me to comment on the sails in a month or so. But the sails will be put to test on an 11,000 M North Atlantic circuit this year. I will then be able to comment on the quality and cut when I return in Summer 2015.
Old 10-03-2014, 05:31   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, HG02.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 14:11   #6

Boat: Concorde 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by aneblanc View Post
I finally ordered from Hong Kong Sailmakers. I can't say much until now because I haven't received the sails. Their quote was half the one of Lee Sails, my former sail maker, but that wasn't difficult as Lee's quote was the second most expensive of 5, almost as expensive as the local North loft.
The communication with HKSM was excellent. Remind me to comment on the sails in a month or so. But the sails will be put to test on an 11,000 M North Atlantic circuit this year. I will then be able to comment on the quality and cut when I return in Summer 2015.
Hi...how did it go with the sails, I am asking because I am considering buying sails from China Sunrise Sails which is the new name for HLMFFSAILMAKER...?

Best regards

Frank
Pinafore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 14:35   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinafore View Post
Hi...how did it go with the sails, I am asking because I am considering buying sails from China Sunrise Sails which is the new name for HLMFFSAILMAKER...?

Best regards

Frank

I am sorry to say it but it was a mistake. The computer made cut was OK but the overall quality was bad. I think the fabric had too much resin and was not soft enough for a cruising sail. My boat was a gaffer. The jib had a tendency of spinning with the stay in high winds that the previous one (Lee) did not have. This put a lot of stress on the bowsprit. Maybe it was the wrong size or material for the textile luff rope. The staysail was not better. The top jib was ok I guess but it's a light wind sail anyway. I very much regret not having ordered from my local sailmaker Michele Stevens in Lunenburg, NS. I really did not save much money in ordering in China. Where are you located? CAD is very cheap at the moment.
I have now sold the boat in Europe so I don't have the sails anymore.
Cheers
Old 10-03-2016, 14:44   #8

Boat: Concorde 38

Hi

I am sorry to hear about your bad experience and how it mist have ruined your sailing trips - now i become uncertain - to me it is also worth noticing that they changed their name, how often does a company do that? And why?
I am located in Europe so I can't be using your local sailmaker...;-)

Best regards

Frank
Pinafore is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
China, sail, sailmaker