Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-01-2019, 03:44   #1
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: West wales
Posts: 85
Getting a Boat loan

Hi, wondering what is the best Boat loan finance company in the UK. And what are the chances of getting a loan if Im self employed and have excellent credit?


My plan is to get a loan for about 3,500 and put 1,000 in cash towards the boat, im looking to spend about 4,500 on a boat.



Like I said, im self employed, my out goings are minimal, my credit excellent
__________________

gulfbreez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 03:49   #2
Registered User
 
Wayne hoath's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Gosport
Boat: Fisher 37
Posts: 22
Re: Getting a Boat loan

You wont get a boat loan (aka marine mortgage) on that sort of amount. You would need to be spending north of 20k at least I would think. For 3.5k Id just go to your regular bank and tell them its for a car or home improvements.
__________________

Wayne hoath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 03:53   #3
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: West wales
Posts: 85
Re: Getting a Boat loan

yes, I dont plan on getting financing with a boat dealer. I was more on the route of pegasus and similar companies like that.
gulfbreez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 03:59   #4
Freelance Delivery Skipper..
 
boatman61's Avatar

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: PORTUGAL
Posts: 23,476
Images: 2
pirate Re: Getting a Boat loan

If its just for 3.5K and your credit is good just ask for a bank loan.
Or.. if everyone knocks you back get your CC limit raised to what is needed and settle it as fast as you can.
3.5K loan = old boat little value.. kinda like trying to get a finance company to lend 500 for a banger.
I have had a bank lend me 10K in the past to buy a boat for cash.. mind that was just for the last 1/5th of the boats value.. I was temping at the time and living in rented accomodation so the boats value was my collateral..
If you have a good relationship with your bank manager it should be pretty straight forward.
__________________


Born To Be Wild.. Click on the picture.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 08:21   #5
Registered User
 
hamburking's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Kingston Ont Canada
Boat: Looking for my next boat!
Posts: 2,736
Re: Getting a Boat loan

Not familiar with UK banking, but here in Canada I would recommend a personal line of credit, aka an unsecured line of credit.

Its just like a loan, but often a better rate, and you can pay off or borrow as you like. Think of it as a bank account with a negative balance. Overall it's a very useful financial tool, especially when you own a boat. If you have anything to secure the line of credit (LOC), like a house, land, stocks, etc, you will get a better interest rate.

Some banks will accept a boat to secure a loan or LOC, but not a low value boat or anything over 20 years old.

And finally, I'm sorry to say...but if you don't have the cash to buy an inexpensive boat, you shouldn't be borrowing to buy it. I mean no offense, but the initial purchase is the often the cheapest part of boat ownership. My personal experience owning beautiful older sailboats is that the cost of ownership exceeds the value of the boat...in one year! For example, I can buy a great condition C&C25 for around $3000 cdn. Summer dockage at my marina would be almost $2000 for one season, and haulout/launch/winter storage would be another $1000. Crazy? Yes. But it is what it is. Thats why trailer sailors are so popular here...and everywhere.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 09:18   #6
Moderator

Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 2,475
Re: Getting a Boat loan

If all you get in your hand, when you reach into your pocket for money, is moth balls, you shouldn't be contemplating boat ownership. Owning a boat will preclude your getting ahead financially. The cheaper the boat to buy, the greater the impediment to your financial welfare!

To keep a small cruising boat on the west coast of Canada costs about C$10K (6K) a year. I see no reason that it should be less on the west coast of Wales.

If you join a reputable sailing club you will get better sailing, in better boats, commanded by people from whom you can learn, all for far less money than you would have to spend owning your own boat.

For openers get in touch with the Newport Boat Club and see what they have to offer.

Newport Boat Club | Newport Pembrokeshire

Best of luck

TrentePieds
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 12:15   #7
Registered User
 
hamburking's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Kingston Ont Canada
Boat: Looking for my next boat!
Posts: 2,736
Re: Getting a Boat loan

Owning a boat is a constant financial drain. You may have heard a sailboat defined as a hole in the water you throw money into.

From a financial point of view, owning a sailboat is just awful. The only thing worse than owning a sailboat, however, is NOT owning a sailboat.

A sailor without a boat is like a cowboy without a horse.

There are many inexpensive and even cheap sailboats in my area. My daughter wanted to buy one. She decided to buy the biggest sailboat I could pull behind my car (Honda Fit) and keep it in the driveway to avoid marina fees. She bought a good condition, ready to sail Siren 17 (on a trailer) for very little. And she let me pay for the trailer hitch on the car. She had 10 successful sailing trips last summer on her boat. Now she wants me to get a bigger car!
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 05:02   #8
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: West wales
Posts: 85
Re: Getting a Boat loan

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburking View Post
Owning a boat is a constant financial drain. You may have heard a sailboat defined as a hole in the water you throw money into.

From a financial point of view, owning a sailboat is just awful. The only thing worse than owning a sailboat, however, is NOT owning a sailboat.

A sailor without a boat is like a cowboy without a horse.

There are many inexpensive and even cheap sailboats in my area. My daughter wanted to buy one. She decided to buy the biggest sailboat I could pull behind my car (Honda Fit) and keep it in the driveway to avoid marina fees. She bought a good condition, ready to sail Siren 17 (on a trailer) for very little. And she let me pay for the trailer hitch on the car. She had 10 successful sailing trips last summer on her boat. Now she wants me to get a bigger car!

I have bought and sold 8 boats, always made money on them because I bought cheap and marketed them well, the place where I have stored them is also very cheap 180.00 per year and I do all the work myself on the boat. I would never get a loan or buy a boat over 5,000 because most people in the UK dont have 5,000 to spend on a boat,(the UK is not a boating country) unless its an incredible deal then they will find the money somehow. And I would never get a boat on credit for 10,000+ unless it was a live-board or would be used as a business. Thats why the loan amount im talking about is not very high. But in my area 4,500 is not cheap for a boat either, because 8 months of the year we dont even get a chance to get on the water due to the extreme weather. Boating is just not a priority , thus shelling out anymore then 4,000 is seen as a big deal.
gulfbreez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 07:34   #9
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Dartmouth, Devon, England
Boat: GibSea 352
Posts: 17
Images: 1
Re: Getting a Boat loan

I have to disagree. There are over a million boats (all types) in the UK, and around 60,000 are sailing yachts.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...ed-kingdom-uk/

To me, 4500 is very cheap for a sail boat unless very used.

West Wales is not a great sailing area what with the winds and the tides. I'm in Swansea (South Wales), where the tides are pretty enormous, so I keep my boat now in South Devon. Marina costs in Milford or Neyland (West Wales) are around 2000 for a 30 metre boat. So, I'm guessing you're not paying marina costs, but people do!
DavidMRea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 07:46   #10
Freelance Delivery Skipper..
 
boatman61's Avatar

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: PORTUGAL
Posts: 23,476
Images: 2
pirate Re: Getting a Boat loan

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulfbreez View Post
I have bought and sold 8 boats, always made money on them because I bought cheap and marketed them well, the place where I have stored them is also very cheap 180.00 per year and I do all the work myself on the boat. I would never get a loan or buy a boat over 5,000 because most people in the UK dont have 5,000 to spend on a boat,(the UK is not a boating country) unless its an incredible deal then they will find the money somehow. And I would never get a boat on credit for 10,000+ unless it was a live-board or would be used as a business. Thats why the loan amount im talking about is not very high. But in my area 4,500 is not cheap for a boat either, because 8 months of the year we dont even get a chance to get on the water due to the extreme weather. Boating is just not a priority , thus shelling out anymore then 4,000 is seen as a big deal.

Wales is not boating country, ***** weather and few ports.
However the S coast of the UK very much is boating country from Ipswich in the East to Falmouth in the West..
__________________


Born To Be Wild.. Click on the picture.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 11:44   #11
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: West wales
Posts: 85
Re: Getting a Boat loan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidMRea View Post
I have to disagree. There are over a million boats (all types) in the UK, and around 60,000 are sailing yachts.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...ed-kingdom-uk/

To me, 4500 is very cheap for a sail boat unless very used.

West Wales is not a great sailing area what with the winds and the tides. I'm in Swansea (South Wales), where the tides are pretty enormous, so I keep my boat now in South Devon. Marina costs in Milford or Neyland (West Wales) are around 2000 for a 30 metre boat. So, I'm guessing you're not paying marina costs, but people do!

I would say the majority of those 60,000 yacht owners are not using their boats very much. Especially Compared to other geographic locations in the world. I lived in Florida where you could get out on the water literately everyday almost everyday of the year. And your right west Wales is horrible for sailing. Inlets getting silted up, huge tides and yes major winds. Just too dependent of the tides, and when the tides where just right to get out, which was only about 4 days a month, you better hope the weather was also good in those 4 days. Whats the chance? Thats why im going back to an 18 inch draft powerboat
gulfbreez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 12:18   #12
sitting on the dock of the bay

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: somewhere in the south
Posts: 1,672
Images: 6
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail
Re: Getting a Boat loan

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburking View Post
The only thing worse than owning a sailboat, however, is NOT owning a sailboat.

__________________

__________________
some of the best times of my life were spent on a boat. it just took a long time to realize it

gonesail is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
boat, loa

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Boat Loan Financing Into New Loan BoatForMe Our Community 0 01-10-2018 14:54
Typical Boat Loan Term ? Down Payment % ? Cassive Dollars & Cents 26 28-10-2011 08:37
Boat Loan APR? ssullivan Rules of the Road, Regulations & Red Tape 69 18-07-2008 16:16
boat loan - quick question... jpcraw Classifieds Archive 8 17-07-2007 22:08
boat loan? bigwhyte Off Topic Forum 2 04-05-2007 04:49



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:33.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.