Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-11-2018, 15:58   #31

Re: Best Large Sturdy Waterproof Container

I have used the 25 & 35 lb size vittle vaults for years for storage. One needs to carefully inspect the o rings in the lid and under the top seal for distortion in order to maintain a leakproof container. The built in molded handles on the sides make shifting them around convenient. They need a piece of rubber or shelf liner on top of them, and then a board or plywood section on top of that to stack them. I only go 3 high with the 25 lbers, and 2 high with the 35 lbers.

I have used the clear tall bulk cat food buckets for years, but their top half hinging lids are their weak spots. They dont stack tightly alongside one another even though the tops meet. About 2 -3" between them palletized. Ditto the white cat litter buckets with plastic bail handles. They have a one piece lid which is weather tight, though harder to get on and off, but more durable than the cat food bucket 2 piece lids.

If you want plastic barrels, I have found the flat sided olive barrels very durable, with gasketed round lids. The top opening is small and the barrels need to be labled as none are clear. I've used these for over 40 years as my container of choice for my 'abandon ship kits' as they float, are very easy to pack and refresh the contents, and are durable enough to survive being moved alot onboard. They are easily roped together to form a f!oating ring. Lexingtoncontainer.com company is one source I have purchased from with no issues.
Old 14-11-2018, 16:05   #32

Oh, and I mentioned palletized because if you need to ship items to a vessel it's easy. You fill, label and stack em on a pallet, then wrap the lot with clear pallet wrap. Keeps anything from 'falling off the truck' enroute to it's destination. Easy bill of lading for contents if it needs to cross Borders too. No bugs or spraying for bugs contaminates your goods in transit.
Old 14-11-2018, 22:29   #33

Boat: Island Packet 40

I use the plastic containers which look similar to the ones with screw on lids which come in home brew kits. With the lid screwed on properly they are air and water tight and have a handy carry handle incorporated in the lid. I use two of them as laundry baskets. They keep the smell in from dirty laundry and the rain and sea spray out when I am dingying to and from the laundromat. And if you run out of beer you can brew up a batch in them.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2018, 04:37   #34
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Links to sources?
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water