Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 25-03-2016, 05:54   #31

Re: Awlgrip Vs Gelcoat

Originally Posted by mike d. View Post
Gel coat Gel Coat Gel coat. Ours is 37 yrs old and all we do is wax in the spring. I have compounded the top sides, because the p/o never did squat, to the boat. I have to do it again, after 6 yrs. Gel coat lasts and lasts. Paint, or what ever will need work after 7-10 yrs., and then repainting. If you don't plan on keeping the boat for more than 5 yrs., then paint it, but if your in it for the long haul, gel coat it.
I don't even have to ask: Your hull is white. A dark color gelcoat would not last.

SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2016, 07:42   #32

Boat: Liberty 458

Originally Posted by crs45500 View Post
Am ordering a new 40' cruiser. Builder is offering the standard gelcoat or awl grip paint. Trying to make best decision for a down east style boat subject to Florida sun. Recommendations?
Gelcoat. More durable and easy to repair if you get any gouges or scratches.

Polishing to remove oxidation at haulout is just part of your preventative maintenance plan.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

leftbrainstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2016, 13:58   #33
Do… or do not

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

I would go for the standard Awlgrip in a flash.

After hurricane Ivan, a lot of boats were repainted in Trinidad. Some took gelcoat, others Awlgrip. They all looked beautiful. A year later we met them again, the Awlgrip boats looked like new and the gelcoat biats all said they really should polish the boat to get her to look good again, but didn't so they looked dull.

If your hobby is polshing then go for gelcoat. I rather roll a fresh coat of white Awlgrip on every 10-15 years.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2016, 16:22   #34

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Are the two kinds of gelcoat similar, or different, when it comes to durability?

"Real" gelcoat is applied inside the female mold when the boat is laid up, and the frp applied on top of it. The "new" gelcoats are applied like a paint, on top of an existing hull. I'd expect there is a difference in the chemistry and performance of the two. No?
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2016, 08:36   #35
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: previous - Whitby 42 new - Goldenwave 44

FWIW, I am not a real expert, but I believe that the chemistry of gelcoat applied to a female mold is the same basically as that sprayed on to an external surface. There is are some additives to allow the gel coat to cure a bit differently for the two different processes, but the end results are the same. And the female mold has a release sprayed on to it before the gel coat is sprayed in to allow the mold to be removed.

The advantage of spraying in to a mold is that it it comes out as smooth as the underlying mold surface is. It usually needs no further polishing as it can be as smooth as a baby's behind. Expert sprayers who thin the gelcoat just right and put it on just right can get close to a very good surface but it usually needs some significant polishing, which is an art itself. One of the key parts of gelcoat spraying is getting the thickness right.

exMaggieDrum is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: