Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-02-2016, 15:56   #1

Boat: possible Union 36 Rehab
Non-Skid: SoftSand, Awlgrip with Griptex, & Griptex in Gelcoat

Non-Skid: Hoping for follow-up on SoftSand, Awlgrip with Griptex, and Griptex in Gelcoat, appreciate any help! I've collected info from prior threads/posts (some fairly old, so I linked to them), plus BoatWorksToday, and a boatyard. Questions & references follow:

1)SoftSand use - Paint savings versus long lasting - Does anyone have long term experience with SoftSand on their deck for non-skid?
BoatWorksToday is giving the product a good rating for workability, result, and that it does not absorb as much paint as the Awlgrip Griptex product, hence it is less costly for paint. As the lesser absorption of paint is seen as a cost benefit, I am wondering if this is also a negative to longevity, as a post on an older thread talks about, "because paint soaks into Griptex particles it makes a better bond and a more lasting result".
SoftSand solution:SoftSand Rubber & Asper Grit - Innovative Non-Skid Particles for Paint

BoatWorksToday: "Easier to work with, doesn't absorb as much paint, so not as costly."
"The more I'm working with it, the more I'm really liking this stuff. Even though it's rubber and has a forgiving feel, it's not spongy. I'd consider it a medium / hard density rubber; by the time it's topcoated with a couple applications of paint it becomes solid without the hard sharp edges typically associated with a silica based grit. I guess best way to describe it would be to say that it has an aggressive appearance without an overly aggressive feel ;-)"
Awlgrip Griptex solution:
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ons-74022.html
"Griptex non-skid additive by the makers of Awlgrip will finish out clearer than anything else I know of. It comes in fine, medium, and coarse. I like medium and fine mixed. It is superior to any other non-skid additive I know of, the coating actually soaks into the particles instead of just encapsulating it. This makes it bond much better and hence last longer."
2)What should be the cleaning regimen for below Awlgrip Griptex solution?
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ty-123685.html
"You want Awlgrip and Griptex sprayed over 545. I like Coarse and Fine mixed 50/50. It sprays super nice, zero roller lap. You shoot one coat neat, wait an hour, shoot a coat with Griptex mixed in, wait an hour, and shoot a final topcoat with flattening agent mixed in. Then wait another hour or two and pull tape. I always use accelerator for nonskid, it makes the paint harder. This gives the most professional, longest lasting finish. The 545 job is also critical. Only Griptex in Gelcoat lasts longer, but that's tricky."
3)What is the recipe for the Griptex in Gelcoat method?
From above in 2) " Only Griptex in Gelcoat lasts longer, but that's tricky."
BigSmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2016, 10:38   #2
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Re: Non-Skid: SoftSand, Awlgrip with Griptex, & Griptex in Gelcoat

I'm interested as well. I bought some course Griptex but have some applications in varnish for the companionway stairs as well and found the softsand and think it looks good on Youtube.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2016, 19:44   #3

Boat: Skookum 47

I used a 40 grit silica with griptex added in. The griptex filled in the gaps and softened out the silica hard edges. I used a combo of course and fine. I wanted something a bit more aggressive, as I have some offshore work in my near future.
SF Bay Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2016, 10:06   #4

Boat: Peterson, Sloop, 34'

I'm investigating this now too!

Last week I glassed about 47 deck holes, sanded all of the old one part. Including sanding off most of the badly done non-skid (obvious roller marks, extra thick and ugly).

After a coat of Primer, then two coats of Brightsides with a lot of sanding she's as glossy as she's ever been!

She's also quite slick when walked on just the right way!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	New deck paint.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	415.2 KB
ID:	124547  
Vancefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2016, 22:40   #5

As am looking into this as well and very interested if anyone has long term experience with Soft Sand.

Also which grade did you use.

50' sailboat, new application after the teak decks are removed
Hoghead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2016, 00:28   #6

More Googling and searching this site tells me that Tuff Coat Marine uses rubber granules.

I am also wondering about LP paint with grit VS gel coat with grit?
Old 17-06-2016, 20:04   #7

My boat is in the Philippines so the 1600.00 USD sea freight that Tuff Coat quoted me for their product with rubber granulates makes it a non starter.
Total of 2400.00 + port fees + tax + best of all raped by Customs, will increase this cost considerably

A few bags of SoftSand + locally sourced LPU paint seems the only viable, and affordable alternative.
No one with SoftSand longer term, foot on experience?
Old 17-06-2016, 20:50   #8

Boat: Bristol 41.1

I have Soft Sand/Brightside polyurethane non-skid on the cockpit floor. I applied this as a test area about six months ago. Hoping to test durability in high traffic areas.

I used the coarse grit, which I think in the future I will restrict to the foredeck. For most other areas, I am going to try the medium. Soft Sand comes in colors. I am using an off-white grit.

It is more comfortable to the feet than some of the other grits I have used. Being coarse though, it creates little valleys where dirt can accumulate, same as other products.

Currently I am monitoring primarily the paint for its durability, which at this point looks pretty good.

The soft sand additive seems to be at the higher price points, though buying in bulk results in some savings.

Satisfied so far.
redsky49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2016, 23:50   #9

Used Griptex in Awlcraft on our decks and it has been on for 3 years and shows little if any wear, works fine underfoot.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2019, 10:08   #10

An update on my experience with Soft Sand non-skid additive:

I originally applied Soft Sand to my cockpit sole, a high traffic area, to get an idea of its durability and effectiveness. I applied a coat of Brightsides Poyurethane, followed with a broadcast application of the non-skid additive. I then applied two topcoats of Brightside, mixed approximately 50/50 with a flattening agent.

I was very pleased with the result - good traction, easy on bare feet and knees, easy to keep clean.

After about four years I started to see some wear directly in front of the companion way, though the remainder of the cockpit looked great. [Bear in mind that we are full time cruisers, and are located in the southern latitudes so the stress on finishes is pretty intense] The wear was not so much the non-skid particles, but in the paint finish. So, after about 4-1/2 after the original application I gave a re-coat to the entire cockpit, slightly altering the color tint (based on my search for the elusive perfect color).

The result is shown in the pic below. If looking very closely I can detect a slight reduction in the aggressiveness of the non-skid, primarily due to the added top coat of paint. It still functions as intended.

One correction to my earlier post above: I actually used the medium grit white additive, not the coarse I originally stated. What you are seeing is medium grit.

All in all, I am still quite satisfied with Soft Sand, though I find it a bit pricey.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20190531_095219.jpg
Views:	291
Size:	311.9 KB
ID:	193010  
Old 31-05-2019, 10:15   #11

In contrast, here is a new section of deck non-skid, applied exactly as above, but performed only last week. Please note that these are difficult areas to photograph. The aggressiveness of the finish is very comparable, in my opinion.

If needed I could use a camera to take a better pic. These pics are from my phone.

I hope this is helpful.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20190531_095255.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	411.1 KB
ID:	193012  

Tags
gelcoat