Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-02-2008, 07:34   #1

Boat: 1991 hunter 35.5 legend
Antifouling in Florida

Hi guys, I have a 35 fiberglass sailboat that is about to come out of the water for a cleanning and new bottom paint. This is the first time I will be taking her out of the water and I am not sure what the PO used. I know it is an abliviant paint. Anyone with experience in florida waters have any suggestions for a good abliviant antifouling paint I should use?

Thanks again
ZolaSail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2008, 07:44   #2

Boat: Southern Cross 39 - sv Kristali
I have had excellent results w/ Pettit Ultima ablative paint. Have used it in the Carib, Bahamas and E Fl (home port); going on 6 yrs w/ 2 coats and 3 on high wear areas (waterline, aft edge of keel, rudder, etc). I am hauling in April, paint starting to show some wear spots.

Steve T
Sailorguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2008, 07:51   #3

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Have used most of the ablatives, Interlux CSC, Pettit, now using Supershipbottom. so far I like it the best. The worst one was West marines house brand.
Old 28-02-2008, 08:00   #4
cruiser

Another vote for Pettit here.
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2008, 09:20   #5

Boat: 1991 hunter 35.5 legend
Thanks for the input guys.
ZolaSail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2008, 22:12   #6
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
From a professional hull cleaner's perspective, Petit Trinidad is about as good as it gets when it comes to all-around ant fouling performance and durability. And as a modified epoxy, is superior in almost all respects to an ablative paint, IMHO.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2008, 03:59   #7

I tried Pettit Trinidad SR when I first bought my boat. Lasted only one and a half years. Don't know if it was a bad application or what but I was very disappointed in it. Went back to ablatives.
Old 29-02-2008, 05:40   #8

Boat: hunter 28, 1991, windswept
I have been using Awlgrip Allstar ablative botom paint. I haul every three years and apply 2 coats. One cycle was 5.5 years and the bottom looked great after being sprayed off. The paint is expensive, but I save money as I do haul as often as others. The bottom line, do not use cheap bottom paint. Side note, West Marine bottom paint is repackaged Interlux. s/v Windswept
windsweptms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2008, 06:30   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by windsweptms View Post
Side note, West Marine bottom paint is repackaged Interlux. s/v Windswept
I don't doubt that it's Interlux but it has less cuprous oxide than Interlux products. Maybe they thin it a bit.
Old 29-02-2008, 06:51   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
WEST MARINE ANTIFOULING BOTTOM PAINTS
West BOTTOMSHIELD is manufactured by International-Interlux (42.56% Cuprous Oxide by weight)
Goto:
http://pr-rp.pmra-arla.gc.ca/PR_SOL/...e1?p_ukid=7826

West CPP! PLUS ABLATIVE ANTIFOULING is Pettit ACP-50 (47.5% Cuprous Oxide)
Goto:
http://pr-rp.pmra-arla.gc.ca/PR_SOL/...e1?p_ukid=3610

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2008, 10:39   #11
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

A common misconception is that less cuprous oxide means less anti fouling performance. This is not necessarily the case. But it is a good idea (IMHO) to stick to the major maunfacturers.
Old 29-02-2008, 10:46   #12
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
I tried Pettit Trinidad SR when I first bought my boat. Lasted only one and a half years. Don't know if it was a bad application or what but I was very disappointed in it. Went back to ablatives.
I had a conversation with one of customers yesterday. We discussed the fact that when his J/32 was delivered, it had a Micron co-polymer product on the bottom. I clean his hull on a monthly basis and the Micron did not last a particularly long time. On my recommendation, he switched to Trinidad. That was 3 years ago, the paint is still in fairly good condition and I'm still cleaning it monthly. Any paint can be poorly applied, but my experience in 14 years in the hull cleaning business is that Trinidad provides more anti fouling for a longer time than any other product I've come across. That makes my job easier.
Old 01-03-2008, 15:11   #13

Boat: Trismus 37
Any reccomendations for alluminium hulls, I have used International trilux for the last 2 haulouts 3 coats plus extra on leading surfaces. A year is about as good as it gets.Par of the problem is it needs speed that I don't have to keep it working.
I was talking to some Dutch yachties the other day and they still had good antifouling properties after 4 years with a TBT additive that they could get in the Carribean. Nothing like that available here in NZ though unless you are a freighter or a navy boat.
Steve Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 16:12   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
I had a conversation with one of customers yesterday. We discussed the fact that when his J/32 was delivered, it had a Micron co-polymer product on the bottom. I clean his hull on a monthly basis and the Micron did not last a particularly long time. On my recommendation, he switched to Trinidad. That was 3 years ago, the paint is still in fairly good condition and I'm still cleaning it monthly. Any paint can be poorly applied, but my experience in 14 years in the hull cleaning business is that Trinidad provides more anti fouling for a longer time than any other product I've come across. That makes my job easier.

The reason Trinidad lasts longer when you have divers clean your bottom is that it is a modified epoxy paint and is much harder than an ablative which a diver will scrub off.
Old 01-03-2008, 17:31   #15
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
The reason Trinidad lasts longer when you have divers clean your bottom is that it is a modified epoxy paint and is much harder than an ablative which a diver will scrub off.
I will assume that you do not understand that I am a hull cleaner and know the difference between the two types of anti fouling. The point is, in areas where boats require in-water hull cleaning, Trinidad is superior to other paints, regardless of type, for a variety of reasons. Durability being one of them.

Tags
anti-fouling, florida