Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-02-2013, 10:36   #46

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious
Re: Active Captain Preaching?

newt - I'm certainly not offended at all. I hope no one else is either.

SSCA would like to think we support the folks getting ready to go as much as those already out there. A good deal of the SSU offerings are specifically for those getting ready to go. We're pushing our current cruising members to provide mentoring and experience to those preparing to go. If we can share our experience based on our mistakes that leaves you free to make new and creative mistakes of your own. *grin*

I think you'll find most active cruisers will tell you to get off the dock as early as your kitty will allow and figure out what your real priorities are. SSU provides the background to make your own decisions based on your needs and expectations, but there is nothing like some first-hand experience of your own to figure out what those really are.

Sorry your schedule doesn't work for the webinar tomorrow night. If you sign up anyway you can get a recording (also free) to see if SSCA might be for you. It's also the easiest way to get my e-mail address and I'll correspond with pretty much anybody.

The only downside is that once I figure out what you're good at I'm likely to send you volunteer opportunities to pay it forward to the cruising community. *grin*
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 14:51   #47

Boat: 2012 310 Chaparral Signature

I just spent a few minutes glancing over all the comments from the AC app. I recently purchased the map app that integrates with AC. I wished I had had the information for a trip we took over Christmas. After signing up with AC and looking up the journey it would have made our trip a little less stressful to have remarks from locals who had made the same journey before us. Although we have a Raymarine e380 it was difficult for us to pan out and get a clear visual of where we needed to gain entry from the gulf. I'm sure it's not without its flaws and I don't thnk that the original first comment was meant in a malicious manner. I can see where he was going with it.
Old 10-02-2013, 21:12   #48

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedtree View Post
By comparison, you would never find a corporate CEO using the company web site, email list, or newsletter to talk about what kind of boat they like best, what appliances they selected for their house, their favorite car, etc. I know when I was an officer in a US public company, our legal team would have squashed such a thing right away.
I disagree... you don't often watch the Talking Heads on TV do you? These people get NATIONAL exposure on live TV to talk about favorite products, fling accusations at competitors, and threaten legal exposure to everyone around them through thinly veiled threats.

IMO - its AC's site... let them do what they want. The internet is free (sort of), open (sort of), and anyone can start a new site to compete. Start up costs for even extremely successful INET companies are flat cheap these days.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
captain