Old 24-11-2015, 19:15   #46
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava
Re: Watermaker Myths

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdbcat View Post
Folks...

I have a case of bottled water aboard. I'm saving it in case I get thirsty while fixing my watermaker.

Dave

Love it
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2015, 20:10   #47

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellie View Post
I yearn for the days when as kids we all drank from the hose.
You reminded me of something I keep on my hard drive...

How life has changed ... unfortunately (Bluewaters?)
CONGRATULATIONS TO ALL BORN IN 1930's, 1940's, 50's, 60's and 70's.

First, you survived being born to mothers who smoked and/or drank while they carried us. They took aspirin, ate blue cheese dressing, tuna from a tin, and didn't get tested for diabetes.

Then after that trauma, your baby cots were covered with bright colored lead-based paints. You had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, doors or cabinets and when you rode your bikes, you had no helmets, not to mention, the risks you took hitchhiking .. As children, you would ride in cars with no seat belts or air bags. Riding in the back of a van - loose - was always great fun.

You drank water from the garden hose and NOT from a bottle. You shared one soft drink with four friends, from one bottle and NO ONE actually died from this. You ate cakes, white bread and real butter and drank pop with sugar in it, but you weren't overweight because...... YOU WERE ALWAYS OUTSIDE PLAYING!!

You would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as you were back when the streetlights came on. No one was able to reach you all day. And you were OK. You would spend hours building your go-carts out of scraps and then ride down the hill, only to find out you forgot the brakes. After running into the bushes a few times, you learned to solve the problem .

You did not have Playstations, Nintendo's, X-boxes, no video games at all, no 99 channels on cable, no video tape movies, no surround sound, no mobile phones, no text messaging, no personal computers, no Internet or Internet chat rooms..........YOU HAD FRIENDS and you went outside and found them!

You fell out of trees, got cut, broke bones and teeth and there were no lawsuits from these accidents! You played with worms (well most boys did) and mud pies made from dirt, and the worms did not live in us forever. You made up games with sticks and tennis balls and although you were told it would happen, you did not poke out any eyes. You rode bikes or walked to a friend's house and knocked on the door or rang the bell, or just yelled for them!

Local teams had tryouts and not everyone made the team. Those who didn't had to learn to deal with disappointment. Imagine that!! The idea of a parent bailing you out if you broke the law was unheard of. They actually sided with the law!

This generation has produced some of the best risk-takers, problem solvers and inventors ever! The past 50 years have been an explosion of innovation and new ideas. You had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and you learned HOW TO DEAL WITH IT ALL! And YOU are one of them!
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2015, 20:18   #48

Boat: 2ft wide dreaming chair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirage Gecko View Post
That's funny we carried 2 x10 litre bottles around for two years just in case all else went wrong.Drank them at home last week.
after 2 years in plastic bottles, i'd had them run through a watermaker first.
Simonsays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2015, 20:44   #49

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post

CONGRATULATIONS TO ALL BORN IN 1930's, 1940's, 50's, 60's and 70's...
Thanks CS. There is so much wisdom wrapped up in that little piece. Everyone should read it, and then think about how they (WE) live our lives now. Sadly, even those of us who were born "in the 1930's, 1940's, 50's, 60's and 70's" are not immune to the fear, paranoia and piss-poor thinking that passes for independent living these days. Just look at any number of bubble-wrap discussions we have here on CF around electronics, insurance, budgets and bluewater boats.
Old 24-11-2015, 21:51   #50

Boat: Seawind 1200 TEC 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simonsays View Post
after 2 years in plastic bottles, i'd had them run through a watermaker first.
Hope I survive.
Mirage Gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2015, 22:19   #51

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Quote:
I yearn for the days when as kids we all drank from the hose.
Hell Tellie, when I grew up we drank the water from the local creek - never got sick.

I've always drunk tap water where I lived. Here in the Nordic countries the tap water is safe and tastes great. Gotta admit there are places in France where I don't - due to taste, not contaminents.

I also drink the water from the well at our house in Portugal - tastes great and after a day or so my body has gotten used to the local bacteria (there is bacteria in everything).

JUst finished hooking up my watermaker and can't wait to try it and the water.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2015, 22:29   #52

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post

CONGRATULATIONS TO ALL BORN IN 1930's, 1940's, 50's, 60's and 70's.

First, you survived being born to mothers who smoked and/or drank while they carried us. They took aspirin, ate blue cheese dressing, tuna from a tin, and didn't get tested for diabetes.

Then after that trauma, your baby cots were covered with bright colored lead-based paints. You had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, doors or cabinets and when you rode your bikes, you had no helmets, not to mention, the risks you took hitchhiking .. As children, you would ride in cars with no seat belts or air bags. Riding in the back of a van - loose - was always great fun.

You drank water from the garden hose and NOT from a bottle. You shared one soft drink with four friends, from one bottle and NO ONE actually died from this. You ate cakes, white bread and real butter and drank pop with sugar in it, but you weren't overweight because...... YOU WERE ALWAYS OUTSIDE PLAYING!!

You would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as you were back when the streetlights came on. No one was able to reach you all day. And you were OK. You would spend hours building your go-carts out of scraps and then ride down the hill, only to find out you forgot the brakes. After running into the bushes a few times, you learned to solve the problem .

You did not have Playstations, Nintendo's, X-boxes, no video games at all, no 99 channels on cable, no video tape movies, no surround sound, no mobile phones, no text messaging, no personal computers, no Internet or Internet chat rooms..........YOU HAD FRIENDS and you went outside and found them!

You fell out of trees, got cut, broke bones and teeth and there were no lawsuits from these accidents! You played with worms (well most boys did) and mud pies made from dirt, and the worms did not live in us forever. You made up games with sticks and tennis balls and although you were told it would happen, you did not poke out any eyes. You rode bikes or walked to a friend's house and knocked on the door or rang the bell, or just yelled for them!

Local teams had tryouts and not everyone made the team. Those who didn't had to learn to deal with disappointment. Imagine that!! The idea of a parent bailing you out if you broke the law was unheard of. They actually sided with the law!

This generation has produced some of the best risk-takers, problem solvers and inventors ever! The past 50 years have been an explosion of innovation and new ideas. You had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and you learned HOW TO DEAL WITH IT ALL! And YOU are one of them!
Whilst true - I can''t help but think that this is a sad commentary on where we have ended up. I grew up out in the country and we went camping for weeks during school holidays. Our parents didn't really know where we were or for that matter when we would be back..
Nobody seemed terribly concerned about that,, figuring that we'd show when the time was right..

Different era - and I'm happy I grew up back then and not today

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
Old 24-11-2015, 22:35   #53

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Love it
By the way - this is as good a place as any to publically thank you Tellie for your help and advice in installing my spectra.

Sunday morning and I was stuck on a connection issue. The spectra rep here in Denmark doesn't work on sundays, so I figured, "what the heck" and sent a mail to Tellie.
An hour later, my mailbox dinged and in rolled his answer and advice.

Great customer service from someone who wasn't going to make a dime on helping me.

Thank you Tellie and when we get to Florida on our RTW, the beer's on me (or if you are a martini drinker, a martini(or two) made with The Botanist gin)

Old 25-11-2015, 07:24   #54

Boat: Looking

Great Story, Celestialsailor!!!

You brought up some fond memories. Here in the desert in the summertime it gets HOT, yet we would play from morning to dark outside (crazy right) One time I got brought home by the police with my bike in the trunk. We were jumping our bikes into a large irrigation canal having fun on a 110 degree day. My dad laughed at the policeman and told him that was where he learned to swim back in the 40s, this was the early 70s. Heck, I learned to water ski in the same canal getting towed by a Chevy Blazer of a friends dad until he was looking backwards and drove into the canal, lol

Great Times!!! It's sad that my daughters will miss out on a lot of fun growing up, ohh wait, that is one of the reasons I'm trying to sell the house and everything else to go cruising
Back when I used to go fast, I'm #11
https://youtu.be/_Y1cnZcGmFY
Udacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2015, 07:32   #55
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

In fact, it turns out that water without mineral content is bad for you. I thought that sounded like foolish internet legend, untill I saw that the World Health Organization, EPA and others had reached the same conclusion based upon sound science.

Sail Delmarva: RO Water--What Are We Missing

Fortunately, RO water from a water maker contains sufficient minerals, though RO water from freshwater almost certainly does not.
Old 25-11-2015, 07:34   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsanduril View Post
Well, the title of this thread is "Watermaker Myths"

The size of the smallest known virus is ~5nm (in this case nm=nanometer, not nautical mile). The Na+ ion has a Van der Waals diameter of about 450 pm (picometers) or about 1/10 the size of the smallest known virus. And then water molecules have a Van der Waals diameter of ~275 picometers.

The RO industry uses a "standard" definition of 0.1nm as the pore size of RO membranes, or about 50 times smaller than the smallest known virus.

I don't think there is an RO manufacturer out their that sells their system as capable of virus or bacteria removal, but that is more a function of the regulatory environment than the capabilities of the process.

Here is what the CDC has to say:

Thank you for correcting my misunderstanding!
MYTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2015, 07:36   #57

Boat: 50' Herreshoff Ketch

We drink our tank water, which comes from either the mexican marina (after being filtered) or our water maker.

When we got to MX we found all the marinas that say "We have potable water from our desal plant" or similar all say "don't drink it". I'm guessing it's so they can sell you the jugs of water? I had a UV filter I had not installed yet, so we just picked up an extra water filter housing with the fanciest 5 micron filter we could find and after finding the water was 300 PPM I ran it thru the filter and UV and then in to the tank with no issues.

People who lug water down to their boat just don't understand the science involved. We're on a budget so building our setup cost $130 for the UV filter from Amazon (before we left) and about $30 in parts from a Mexican Home Depot. In cabo water was about $5 per 5 gallon bottle delivered, or $3/5 gallon bottle if you lug it yourself. So filling the tanks once put us in the green on the filter cost.
autumnbreeze27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2015, 08:06   #58
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYTraveler View Post
Thank you for correcting my misunderstanding!
We are here to clear up the myths, sorry if my earlier post was a little rude.

It's not that mineral free water is necessarily bad for you. Since we actually get most of our required minerals from the food we eat, water containing minerals is better for you than distilled water which is mineral free. RO water is different than distilled water.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2015, 08:20   #59
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
In fact, it turns out that water without mineral content is bad for you. I thought that sounded like foolish internet legend, untill I saw that the World Health Organization, EPA and others had reached the same conclusion based upon sound science.

Fortunately, RO water from a water maker contains sufficient minerals, though RO water from freshwater almost certainly does not.
Thank you for letting me know that millions of naval personnel on ships are drinking deasal water that is not good for them every day. ( naval and coast guard the world over.) I have been drinking desal water for most of my life with no ill effects.
newhaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2015, 09:51   #60

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post

I think that is one of those myths. If you were only drinking water completely bereft of minerals and your diet was not sufficient to get the minerals needed then there was a problem. However, with today's diets we get all the minerals we need.

I'd love a UV filter but they draw about an amp. If you could get one at 1/2 that it would be a great thing to have.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
watermaker, water