Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-02-2016, 09:57   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Solo Sailor Took His Own Life

Lizzy Belle,
I would tell you this is another one of those examples of the Netherlands being in my opinion, more civilized than some other places in the world.

Maybe not much to do with sailing, except maybe as we age, we can pick a place to finish our journey, if we are lucky.

My Father told me to not worry, he had lived a long and happy, life. His passing was no tragedy, a tragedy was a parent burying a child or those young that die in war etc.
He told me that he was lucky, the lucky ones get to pick the time and place, he was thankful for that.

I have no idea why this Gentleman chose this decision, but perhaps for him it was the right decision.

We all finish the same way, the survival rate is zero, make the best of what you have, while you can.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2016, 10:02   #17
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Solo Sailor Took His Own Life

Having been contacted to skipper a boat so the person involved.. who claimed a terminal illness.. could just 'Disappear' and avoid all the fuss.. I'd call that suicide.
I said no for selfish reasons..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Human Rights only matter when it's politically expedient..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2016, 10:03   #18

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Sad! I didn't read all the posts. Was the vessel all he had? Is this the same fellow given supplies by the NZ Coast Guard to start out with? Having had all his possessions onboard heading for a wife I think in Fiji?
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2016, 10:10   #19

Which is why no one over 60 should be allowed to sail alone, let alone drive a car. Just too old for that sort of stuff.
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2016, 10:19   #20

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed1v View Post
Which is why no one over 60 should be allowed to sail alone, let alone drive a car. Just too old for that sort of stuff.
That's a bit extreme.

How do you expect our 70 plus year olds that haven't retired to the sailing /cruising life (have a keyboard/computer to argue about sailing and cruising) to get to work?
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2016, 10:21   #21
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
So what your saying is You are young enuf to do the above alone..!!

Include sex...

Old 23-02-2016, 10:30   #22

Quote:
I fell sure that was in jest.
Old 23-02-2016, 12:31   #23

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzy Belle View Post
My condolences, Snowpetrel.

In general:
Ending your life for health reasons (euthanasia) is not the same as ending your life out of desperation / not knowing what else to do anymore.

Romanticizing suicide ... I have an issue with that, while I have no issues whatsoever with euthanasia.

An acquaintance of mine drowned while sailing (accident). Lots of people had nothing more to say then "he died doing what he loved". Erhm, no, he did not. He loved sailing, not falling overboard and watching his boat sail on without him. What he loved was cruising, not drowning.

Generally speaking, people drowning themselves aren't "doing what they loved" nor do they do it because they felt all happy or brave & strong.

Having dealt with both suicide and euthanasia, there is a HUGE difference between the two and pretending they are more or less the same thing ... just don't, please.
You have voiced an 'itch' in my mind when reading some of the replies. I completely agree with you, suicide and what might be loosly called a euthanasia decision at end of life are two different things. Suicide is not a courageous thing to do either, there are far better options. Thanks for your input.
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2016, 12:33   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
Sad! I didn't read all the posts. Was the vessel all he had? Is this the same fellow given supplies by the NZ Coast Guard to start out with? Having had all his possessions onboard heading for a wife I think in Fiji?
No. Not the same.
Old 23-02-2016, 12:35   #25
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Likewise..

Old 23-02-2016, 12:36   #26

Quote:
OMG seriously

Do you really believe this?

So every one still working at 60 and drive as part of their work have to be forced to retire regardless of their abilitities?

I am suddenlt feeling very very old
Old 23-02-2016, 12:38   #27

Quote:
Im hoping it was in jest its the sort of thing id stir my fellow co workers with but when they coukd see my face and know my own context
Old 23-02-2016, 12:56   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
No. Not the same.
Tanks! It sounded similar. I guess I did see the other guy did make it back to Australia.
Old 23-02-2016, 13:20   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
OMG seriously

Do you really believe this?

So every one still working at 60 and drive as part of their work have to be forced to retire regardless of their abilitities?

I am suddenlt feeling very very old
Sorry about that, but old folks really should be placed in rest homes and out of the way of those who must get on with life. One can quibble as to the exact age, but certainly somewhere in that range one does become daft and should not be trusted with anything that moves. Exceptions do exist, but they are exceptions to the rule that humans start to rot very quickly after 60. Every military on earth recognizes that.
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2016, 13:23   #30

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
At least in the US, the health care system seems a little geared to cash in on the old and infirm, you work your entire life to amass some wealth so that you can be comfortable in your old age, you get sick and the system chews through your entire worth in a matter of months.
Some chose not to go that route if there is no hope, My Father left his wife well cared for for however long she may live and as opposed to leaving his Children an inheritance, he set up an education trust fund to send his descendants to secondary education if they so chose.
But he had been exposed to the profit making of the system personally so he knew.
This is a copy of his testimony to the US Senate on Dialysis
Dr. Bays U.S. Senate Testimony
Thanks for the link A64Pilot.

Among other things, it is a telling condemnation of the American medical system as the user experiences it.

I also read the testimony following your father's.

The psychologist outlined a lot of activities that would help people who are even just going into surgery, especially questioning one's trust of doctors, being willing to say "no" to something in a friendly way to nurse or caretaker, researching one's own condition, being pro-active in one's care--also items your father mentioned.

"Nice" ratings don't mean a doc is excellent. It means he or she is personable. It is difficult to figure out the right questions and whom to ask to assess the doc's reputation. I've been to two nice docs who made poor medical decisions for me, and the second one almost killed me! And of course, hospital post op infection rate is something good to know about before you go in there for surgery.

RC: It is the church which has taught that one must not take one's own life.
I agree that teenage suicide is a great sadness and possible loss to the community. At some level, and particularly in America, without a medical system similar to Australia's, I personally do think it is part of our responsibility of living to decide about our dying, as well...in one's own time and way, and perhaps conforming to society and perhaps not. Interestingly, two States, Oregon and Washington, that I know of, and perhaps more, have laws in place that permit the terminally ill to take their own lives on their own schedule.

In the meantime, we sail while we still can.

Tags
sail