Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-06-2011, 16:13   #46

Boat: Tartan 30
Re: Single handing overboard

Boatman, Your idea is a good one. Not sure what scorn you are referring too... I mentioned the 45 foot range on the current existing model just for comparison.

And just for the record, I'm not waiting in port collecting gadgets before going cruising. I don't own a designer pair of foulies (except for the HH light weather ones I found at the thriftstore for about $10 ) and I am in total agreement with the ideal of preventing the problem in the firstplace.

The idea of the towed line is not to haul yourself back to the boat, it's to trip the tiller or autopilot so the boat stops sailing... it's the low-tech version of the remote control idea. Which is still a good idea in either version.
Old 04-06-2011, 16:27   #47
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Single handing overboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by callmecrazy View Post
Boatman, Your idea is a good one. Not sure what scorn you are referring too... I mentioned the 45 foot range on the current existing model just for comparison.

And just for the record, I'm not waiting in port collecting gadgets before going cruising. I don't own a designer pair of foulies (except for the HH light weather ones I found at the thriftstore for about $10 ) and I am in total agreement with the ideal of preventing the problem in the firstplace.

The idea of the towed line is not to haul yourself back to the boat, it's to trip the tiller or autopilot so the boat stops sailing... it's the low-tech version of the remote control idea. Which is still a good idea in either version.
Damn... must be getting tetchy...
BRB... gonna get the first drink of the day...
Sorry bout that mate....

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Human Rights only matter when it's politically expedient..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 16:56   #48

Boat: O'Day 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Elliott View Post
You seem to have a pretty well defined philosophy regarding rescue at sea.

Would you ever accept assistance? I might accept help offered but I would not ask for it Mid-Pacific; nor would I have any way to ask.

What if you couldn't pay for it? How could you or I or virtually anyone pay for it? What's it cost to scramble a fighter? Reprogram a satellite? Divert an aircraft carrier?

Is there some level of experience, skill, and preparedness that you must meet, and then it becomes OK to ask for help? No

Is it ever appropriate to ask for help? No doubt a scenario exists when innocents are in danger.

Does it make a difference if you are at sea for business or for pleasure? That could certainly be a real factor. I have less trouble with a supertanker/fishingboat in trouble than with the yottie with his ASA certification.

This isn't a dig at you -- I'm honestly interested in anyone's thinking on the subject. I get it. Ya wanna sail around the world? Take the risks. Wanna go thru the Suez Canal? Go ahead but don't cry when trouble comes along. In my mind, as a tried and true blue I-ain't-going-to-sail around-the-world guy, sailing around the world means the capes and the Southern Ocean. No shortcuts. I truly mean no offense here as I know two circumnavigators. And they may be better sailors than the older generation that did it the hard way but I doubt it.

I believe everyone here will agree that the Abby Sunderland adventure was an example of doing it wrong (Abby is the girl who was rescued in the southern ocean while attempting a record during the worst part of the year and being quite unprepared for it.)

She could have gotten lucky and made it. With all the assistance Abby got, my 14 yr old could do it. Her daddy couldn't buy her the boat, however.

I think I'm quoting Helen Keller here and Gord will tell me if I'm not: "Life is a daring adventure or it's nothing."
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 17:19   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgzzzz View Post
"Life is a daring adventure or it's nothing."
That would make a nice epitaph
Old 04-06-2011, 17:21   #50
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
Start at the very beginning...

When considering persons overboard we mostly think of being in the middle of a wave tossed, stormy ocean. In most of the anecdotal evidence I've seen falling overboard happens most under calm conditions, even at anchor.

For even a small yacht getting back onboard is almost impossible. Those sugar scoop sterns would be better, but I'll bet its still not easy.

I've put a small loop of rope to (hopefully) pull down my stern boarding ladder and extension. If the weather ever warms up I might even try it out.

Again relying on anecdotal evidence, almost any system that ties the sailor to the boat seems to have a happy ending when used. A good system is never going to make the news.

The NSW Maritime regulations now make a lifejacket compulsory if sailing alone. We should consider tethers compulsory if sailing offshore.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 17:21   #51

Quote:
Generalizing teenagers as irresponsible just because they carry new technology only proves my point further. That point being, It's not the technology (or the lack of it) that causes peoples to need rescue. It's the person (or some misfortunate accident).

As I read this repeatedly, i see I must have expressed myself poorly.

a) I think Abby is a remarkable young woman.

b) I think if she's going to try and sail around the world that's her business; not our business if her luck plays out.

c) My Jenna would have handled this differently. She'd have made it or not but she wouldn't have mashed that big red button. .

d) I wouldn't have let her go so it's moot.
Old 04-06-2011, 17:35   #52

Quote:
That would make a nice epitaph
How about that quote as a plan for living?

"Life is either a great adventure or nothing." H Keller
Old 04-06-2011, 17:44   #53

Quote:
That is so cool that you looked at it that way. How about that quote as a plan for living?
tgzzzz believe it or not I'm actually right in-line with your way of thinking. I just like to stir the pot sometimes, and I often make counter points for the sake of fairness.

I've had an insanely adventurous life to date (but not in that wholesome, sailing-rtw adventure type of way... more like a "holy **** i'm going to die" type of daring adventure ) but I've also had many, many, years of complete dullness and mediocrity...wouldn't trade it for anything. Even a dull life is worth living (or saving).

here's a quote that always reminds me of these forum discussions

“What old people say you cannot do, you try, and find that you can. Old deeds for old people, and new deeds for new.” - Henry David Thoreau
Old 04-06-2011, 18:12   #54

Quote:
tgzzzz believe it or not I'm actually right in-line with your way of thinking. I just like to stir the pot sometimes, and I often make counter points for the sake of fairness. un huh

I've had an insanely adventurous life to date (but not in that wholesome, sailing-rtw adventure type of way... more like a "holy **** i'm going to die" type of daring adventure ) un huh

but I've also had many, many, years of complete dullness and mediocrity...wouldn't trade it for anything. un huh

Even a dull life is worth living (or saving). Is it?

here's a quote that always reminds me of these forum discussions

“What old people say you cannot do, you try, and find that you can. Old deeds for old people, and new deeds for new.” - Henry David Thoreau
un huh

CMC, Sorry man but that's not what I'm talking about. At ALL. Really. My age has nothing to do with my proposal that if you want to sail somewhere risky, don't call for help when you get in a jamb.

You disagree as do many others. No prob. I got it. Let's let this go before it goes further downhill.
Old 04-06-2011, 18:58   #55

sigh...

so where were we? Ah yes, Falling overboard! Happens all the time...

Old 04-06-2011, 20:13   #56

Boat: Samsara, a Ross 930

Quote:
Boatman ... not sure what scorn you are referring too...
Likewise. Boatman, your views and humour are pretty darned good. E.g. "But... if your motoring at the time... akward... unless Yanmar/Volvo etc came up with a remote.. 100% waterproof... to cut out the engine... your screwed...".

I commented on most solutions that fail to keep me on board (at worst, alongside). M
any "tech" solutions presented to date come with assumptions that IMO can also leave me dead, such as always carrying a tech device, proximety to vessel left making minimal (lee)way, ability to climb over freeboard in seaway, etc, etc.

I love this forum when it undermines my prejudices, and makes me laugh e.g. at myself.
roger.waite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 20:48   #57

Boat: 78 Pearson323 Four Winds

I love listening to my vinyl album collection. That's where I'm from in terms of music. I also have 40,000 mp3's on my music drive.

I'm new to sailing big boats and have a background in advanced technology. So I embrace the latest techniques and hardware and understand their benefits and handicaps.

I think it's all about a frame of reference to our experiences.

And there is more than one way to skin a cat.
four winds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 21:01   #58
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Has anyone here suggested that carrying an autopilot remote control (or whatever other "tech" device that's been mentioned) means that you shouldn't first use all appropriate measures to keep yourself onboard?

I just don't get it. What are you guys complaining about? How does the fact that I have a satphone at my navstation make me any less safe than you?

Please be specific.
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Paul Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 21:04   #59
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John A View Post
Was he towing a line?
Don't know.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 21:05   #60
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
if you want to sail somewhere risky, don't call for help when you get in a jamb.
Please define "risky". And, I am really quite interested in any response you might have to my earlier questions:
Quote:
You seem to have a pretty well defined philosophy regarding rescue at sea. Would you ever accept assistance? What if you couldn't pay for it? Is there some level of experience, skill, and preparedness that you must meet, and then it becomes OK to ask for help? Is it ever appropriate to ask for help? Does it make a difference if you are at sea for business or for pleasure?
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Paul Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
overboard, singlehanding