Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-10-2011, 12:07   #16
Armchair Bucketeer

Re: Securing the Companion Way Hatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alecadi View Post
the picture is not very clear but you can see the hinges .
The screw heads are apparent and the whole thing can be unscrewed quite easily.
See the hinges? I can't even work out where the doors are!

- Hidden hinges
- Bolts (recessed) not screws.
- or simply drill out / superglue the screw heads (of course that later gives you a problem!)
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2011, 16:42   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingway View Post
MarkJ had a metal insert made for his.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ock-47852.html
Yeah, I made a Stainless "jail Bar" drop board to use in hot weather. Used it at night mostly . Slept better knowing they were going to make a bunch of noise trying to get through that.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2011, 18:48   #18

Boat: Island Packet 35 Cutter Rig

We have a stainless steel insert on our sailboat, it works great! I wouldn't be able to get in if I locked myself in or out! It was custom made by the previous owner of our sailboat, we need to thank him for that! I'd post a picture for you but we currently have very little posting power where we are currently. Good luck with your search.
Velma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2011, 19:24   #19

Boat: Tartan 30

simple solution. Set the screws in epoxy.

I spent a few hours drilling out epoxied in screws on my forehatch. The were done that way by the PO for the very same reason, exposed machine screws, thieves look for that sort of thing.... It was impossible to get them out. Of course, if you ever need to replace a hinge, you'll have some extra work to do. But its an easy fix...
Old 19-10-2011, 20:12   #20

Boat: Traditional 30

Why not replace the screws with bolts that have Nyloc nuts on the Outside ?
ozskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2011, 20:27   #21

Boat: Orca 38

Cruisers & Sailing Forums - Strait Shooter's Album: Anian - Picture

You could always try this!
Old 12-10-2014, 23:52   #22

Boat: Havsfidra 20
Re: Securing the Companionway Hatch

Hello,

What about connecting the lock to an electric fence controller? Cons?

Gil.
gilgsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2014, 09:34   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilgsn View Post
Hello,

What about connecting the lock to an electric fence controller? Cons?

Gil.
the offender needs to be grounded....

Old 13-10-2014, 11:19   #24

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

Most offenders are so stupid if you hung two live current wires down in front of the hatch and attached a note saying "pull simultaneously to open"... they would.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2014, 10:08   #25

Boat: Pearson 34-II

We have a unique approach to security aboard our vessel: we no longer cruise in areas where there is a real potential for crime.
Old 15-10-2014, 19:42   #26

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by rognvald View Post
We have a unique approach to security aboard our vessel: we no longer cruise in areas where there is a real potential for crime.
Will improve your odds of course, but unfortunately, the bad guys don't read the same statistics. Cases in point in recent years: brutal isolated attacks in Belize, Guanaja Bay Islands, and Bocas del Toro Panama. No history of such in these places and none since.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2014, 13:55   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Will improve your odds of course, but unfortunately, the bad guys don't read the same statistics. Cases in point in recent years: brutal isolated attacks in Belize, Guanaja Bay Islands, and Bocas del Toro Panama. No history of such in these places and none since.
Belize,
A point well taken . . . sad, but true.
Old 21-10-2014, 21:52   #28

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

So, a related question... what kind of lock do you guys use to lock yourselves in? I'm not talking fort knox here or even zombie radical rastas equipped with machine guns and machetes... I'm just talking about the opportunist prowling in at night to take whatever they can lay their hands on and leaving without waking us up type thing.

I am thinking something along the lines of a barrel bolt but I would be afraid that it would slide closed when we are healed over, locking us out.

I was hoping to have something to do double duty with keeping the companionway slides in if the worst were to happen. I saw things like wire rope attachments but I would again think a simple set of barrel bolts would be all you would need.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2014, 10:16   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by zboss View Post
So, a related question... what kind of lock do you guys use to lock yourselves in? I'm not talking fort knox here or even zombie radical rastas equipped with machine guns and machetes... I'm just talking about the opportunist prowling in at night to take whatever they can lay their hands on and leaving without waking us up type thing.

I am thinking something along the lines of a barrel bolt but I would be afraid that it would slide closed when we are healed over, locking us out.

I was hoping to have something to do double duty with keeping the companionway slides in if the worst were to happen. I saw things like wire rope attachments but I would again think a simple set of barrel bolts would be all you would need.
I've used barrel bolts on the inside... I've found they seldom align perfectly so will not lock you out! However...Murphy is alive and well so who knows! Some of the higher end Japanese SS hardware has resistance to it rather than just sliding freely...

Old 22-10-2014, 11:32   #30

I guess I'm just having a problem with this issue since it seems so wrong to have to worry about locking yourself in your boat at any time of the day or night. I have responded to this issue in similar discussions and my ideas have not changed. Vote with your dollars for safety. We have never locked our companionway at night and sleep with our hatches open. If I have to worry about being boarded, then I am cruising in the wrong area. There are countless areas to cruise worldwide where crime is not a consideration and we need to make those places part of our itinerary. There seems to be a mentality among some cruisers that you have not earned your "cruisers badge" if you don't tick off countries on the official bucket list. Who makes this list? Why should it matter to you? The herd instinct is all powerful. Good luck and good sleeping.

Tags
companionway, hatch