Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-01-2014, 17:31   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Corbin 39
Sailing With a Dog as Security?

Just wondered how complex it is to sail in & out of different countries with a dog on board? does the dog need a passport, can it go ashore in every counrty? Seems to be the best form of on board security to me, especialy at nite if you have had a rum to many?
pablothesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2014, 20:11   #2

Boat: Catalina 310
re: Sailing With a Dog as Security?

Way too little info. Where are you sailing? Are you going to deal with the needed medical exams and vaccinations?
Old 20-01-2014, 20:21   #3
Marine Service Provider

Why is it to little info? The question is asking how complex it is sailing around the world with a dog on board? I live in Spain, I hope to head to the Canary Islands & then on to the Caribean, from there I dont have any rock solid plans as yet! Ive looked at various alarm options but it seems most people feel a dog is the best all round deterent! I love dogs but had thought it would be difficult to travel to different countries, are there many restrictions or requirements?? Thank you!
Old 20-01-2014, 20:25   #4
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by pablothesailor View Post
Seems to be the best form of on board security to me, especialy at nite if you have had a rum to many?
Is the dog supposed to fetch you out of the water when you fall in?

Or, if you're looking for protection from evil dreggs meaning to do you harm, I suggest locking the companionway and getting a couple of these yacht maintenance tools and learning to use them:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ka bar.png
Views:	150
Size:	78.2 KB
ID:	74383   Click image for larger version

Name:	sogtamahawk2.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	3.0 KB
ID:	74384  

Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2014, 20:34   #5
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Is the dog supposed to fetch you out of the water when you fall in?
I guess it could be good to teach the dog to do that, lol

I was thinking more if someone tried to rob you in the middle of the night, a dog would normaly hea anyone near your boat a long time before you do!
Old 20-01-2014, 20:47   #6

Boat: Outremer 50S

This really, really depends on where you are going and where you are from. The United States, for instance, is (surprisingly) amongst the easiest in this regard (excluding Hawaii, which is entirely different). If your dog has a rabies certificate you can bring it here, although there is a catch-all that leaves it to the discretion of the inspecting border agent.

CDC - Bringing an Animal into U.S.: Dogs - Animal Importation

New Zealand is at the other end of the spectrum. You dog must be microchipped, the chip must be installed before any vaccinations are given, there is still a quarantine requirement, and if your dog is not from the list of countries where rabies is well controlled then it just can't come, period.

Bringing cats or dogs to New Zealand | MPI Biosecurity New Zealand

You can look at Noonsite and other similar places for the latest from each place you plan to visit. Some won't care at all, others you may not get to visit at all if you don't want to go without your pet.
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2014, 01:25   #7

Boat: 35' Jeanneau Espace 1000 DL
For cruising in eu, you need rabies vaccine and DHPPi every year,monthly echinococcus treatment , and for some countries you need one shot more, dont remember wich. (leptospirosis, I think)

And if your dog is from the eu, get a pet passport, then all you need is the stamps from the vet.

Echinococcus is only mandatory for entering norway and the islands, but where you need it is the other countries.

Another thing you shold use in south europe is fly repellant. Sand flies amongst others carry parasites.

.manitu
Old 21-01-2014, 01:58   #8

Boat: Lagoon 450

Pablo
Without knowing which countries you will visit, you will find that many have some sort of restrictions on pets. Review Noonsite's country info and often these restrictions are advised here.

We considered this and decided against it.
Emerald Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2014, 04:02   #9
Marine Service Provider

Re: Sailing With a Dog as Security?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerald Sea View Post
Pablo
Without knowing which countries you will visit, you will find that many have some sort of restrictions on pets. Review Noonsite's country info and often these restrictions are advised here.

We considered this and decided against it.

everybody has different ideas as to how thier sailing will be......mine are VERY flexible, there is no fully SET in stone route over the next few years & I wish to be able to change plans re where we plan to go if we so choose to...........The dog had not been in my plans, even though I love dogs I dont have one at the moment, I was only lightly asking as apart from the company it seems a dog could be great security on your boat and perhaps help you sleep that little better at night? It does seems that it can be done, BUT it could seriously restrict you if like us you wish to travel to a lot of places! Thanks for all the replies!
Old 21-01-2014, 04:16   #10

Boat: Catalina 310

Quote:
Why is it to little info? The question is asking how complex it is sailing around the world with a dog on board? I live in Spain, I hope to head to the Canary Islands & then on to the Caribean, from there I dont have any rock solid plans as yet! Ive looked at various alarm options but it seems most people feel a dog is the best all round deterent! I love dogs but had thought it would be difficult to travel to different countries, are there many restrictions or requirements?? Thank you!

Sorry. Wasn't trying to be a jerk with my comment. I think you now see why is made it. Cruising grounds factor into the equation heavily.

We are preparing to cruise the east coast of the US down through the Caribbean. For the most part bringing your dog just cost money for vaccinations and vet check ups.

As others have pointed out, check out Noonsite.com.

Fair winds,

Jesse
Old 21-01-2014, 06:44   #11

Boat: Cruisers Yachts 420 Express
Send a message via ICQ to jeremiason Send a message via Yahoo to jeremiason Send a message via Skype™ to jeremiason

Quote:
It does seems that it can be done, BUT it could seriously restrict you if like us you wish to travel to a lot of places! Thanks for all the replies!
We cruised without a dog for three years through Mexico and Central America, but dog sat a lot.

What we saw was that it was fairly easy to get the dogs into and out of the countries we visited, but the cruisers with dogs did have to make sacrifices, like:

• Finding a dog sitter when you want to land travel, fly home or end up in a hospital.
  • Being forced to leave the dog on the boat or by-passing areas because they didn't allow dogs... Many National Parks don't allow dogs.
  • Finding a Vet when the dog needs medical care.
Taking a dog cruising is just a matter of convenience... If you don't mind dealing with the above, then you should be ok taking a dog.

jeremiason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2014, 07:16   #12

Boat: Slocum 43

Friends did a circumnavigation of the Caribbean with dogs. They said never again. It was a royal pain.
Pirate999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2014, 10:23   #13
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate999 View Post
Friends did a circumnavigation of the Caribbean with dogs. They said never again. It was a royal pain.
Hmmm, thanks for all the info, I had really thought a dog would be a good companion & great security especialy at nite, but it seems there would be to many restrictions! Will have to look at other security options! Shame!
Old 21-01-2014, 10:56   #14

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
We did our mini cruise with my schnauzer. It was hard on the dog and a pain to clear into some places. We did go inland in Belize to see some national parks and lucky for us we went in the low season so we were able to plead our way into said parks with the dog on a leash.
Next time will be without the dog.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2014, 14:55   #15

Boat: Kelsall Suncat 40

In our experience, our dog was almost no problem in the Caribbean and Central America but was a real hassle in the Pacific due to the local laws.

Jimbo485 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, sailing, security