Cruisers Forum

View Poll Results: How do you connect your Rope Anchor Rode to Chain ?
"Thimbled" Eye-Splice 24 42.86%
"Direct" Chain Eye-Splice 24 42.86%
"Plaited" Eye-Splice 6 10.71%
Other ... 2 3.57%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-01-2006, 05:55   #16

Location: Currently based near Jacksonville FL; WHOOSH's homeport is St. Pete, FL USA
Boat: WHOOSH, Pearson 424 Ketch
Thanks to Gord for posting the exerpt; it's worth reviewing with some 'real world' failure analysis. Having said that, note it is oriented to mooring failures wherein components are immersed for long periods of time. Conclusions related to clevis pins probably don't apply at all to typical yacht rodes where the clevis pin securing the shackle are out of the water 99% of the time, can be visually inspected routinely, etc.

For American forum members, comments about plaited line might seem a bit theoretical as it's always been a hassle (and expensive!) to obtain that line from inside N America. However, Yale is now manufacturing plated line and the even better news is that Cheryl Gerfin at Defender - my favorite contact at my favorite discount chandler - has confirmed Defender will soon be stocking it. Comments from Talboat & others have convinced me its worth a try and, since I'll be shipping a pack of N American bits & pieces onward to Gib before returning to Portugal, I plan to include some of the Yale product. (As with virtually everything else, it will be cheaper to buy here than in Europe).

Jack
Old 30-01-2007, 02:59   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Jack is, of course, correct in pointing out the fact that the constant immersion inherent in a mooring, does not accurately represent the conditions that typical anchoring components confront.

An accurate accelerated anchoring test would require alternating immersion & drying cycles.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2007, 04:27   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
has confirmed Defender will soon be stocking it.
Sounds like good news. I have a secondary rode that has three stand now but far too short. It's so stiff and hard to handle switching to plait has a lot of advantages. I'll be anxious to see the price too.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2007, 06:14   #19

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Euro Cruiser
However, Yale is now manufacturing plated line and the even better news is that Cheryl Gerfin at Defender - my favorite contact at my favorite discount chandler - has confirmed Defender will soon be stocking it.
That's odd, I bought some there in September, and was in the store a few weeks ago and am positive I saw it on the racks. In addition to Yale's version, they also stock Buccaneer's version. The Buccaneer lists identical properties and is less expensive.

Mark
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2007, 06:58   #20

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 45.2 - RUSH
Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey
It looks like good stuff, but I don't think I've ever seen it here in the U S of A..........._/)

I believe it is sold in the US by Yale Cordage under the name "Brait". Instructions for a brait to chain splice are here: http://www.yalecordage.com/html/pdf/...ain_splice.pdf
Ehumpal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2007, 09:00   #21
smm

Boat: Farrier F41 Catamaran - Endless Summer
On Endless Summer, I've use a traditional rope-chain splice. It goes right through the windlass. Since you see it every time you anchor, it is easy to keep tabs on the wear and resplice (6 tucks and taper) whenever it starts looking ratty.

-Scott
smm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2007, 10:34   #22

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Yeah, that seems to be the best way to go. Years ago I used to use braided rope until I found out it couldn't be re-spliced. Now I use 3 strand and re-do it whenever it needs it. With 200 ft of chain I have yet to let it all out.
Old 30-01-2007, 12:56   #23

Boat: st francis 44 mk II catamaran
I use a small 5 ft section of chain connected via a plaited splice to 3 strand nylon for use as dock lines. The chain goes around the piling and shackles back on itself (the threaded shackle pin is zip tied in place to prevent it from working itself loose) and then the rope splice goes from there. I believe the plaited splice is stronger than the direct splice due to it's shallow angled weaving through the chain vs a 180 degree turn back onto the rode for the direct splice, but don't have any data to back that up! I do know that in John Darwins splicing handbook he recommends the plaited splice for anchor chains as well.

But for the anchor rode I've used the direct splice because I've been worried about chafe from the windless.
schoonerdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2007, 16:22   #24

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
Gord, We have used the plaited slice on our secondary anchor for about 18 months in the Western Caribbean and the secondary was used a lot, especially on changing and foul conditions. Works great, runs through the rope/chain gypsy with no problem and no sign of chafe at this point. Plan to do the same on our primary whenever we change out the rode. It currently is on a thimble and we don't like it.

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2007, 16:26   #25

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Here is a rope to chain splice as well

The Chain Splice

Dave

ps: Gord most of those link's[pardon the pun] won't work on my end for some reason.
Old 31-01-2007, 02:57   #26
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Ah, GROG, the best Knot Site on the web:
Animated Knots by Grog

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 11:29   #27

Boat: Irwin 37 CC ketch 'Ta-Keel-Ah'
I've installed a 3 strand to chain plaited splice which seems to run through the electric windlass without trouble however being a new system to me, it may chafe after several anchorings and I will keep my eye on it. I also installed a swivel but I may take it off after veiwing the failures posted on the site. I was told by several 'experts' - there's that word again - that this splice with a swivewl is the only way to go for strength and longevity - glad I'm getting some objective input. Thanks
Old 05-02-2007, 12:20   #28
Marine Service Provider

Whoo! How differant are those to our moorings, very very differant. Down here none of that would last long at all, maybe a year. Way to small for us.
GMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2007, 07:37   #29

Boat: Sceptre 41
If you search the SSCA board Evan (Beth Leonard's partner) says he replaces his 8 strand to chain splice on an annual basis but has not seen any damage on the splice.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2007, 22:12   #30
Marine Service Provider

Chopped up a 100 odd Rope to chain direct splices and never found an issue with the rope. The chain has been a different story on a few occasions.
GMac is offline   Reply With Quote