Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-03-2011, 15:53   #106
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 3,949
Re: Resistance to DSC VHF

My guess is that he had to remove non-DSC radios from commercial vessels that now require DSC radios only.

By the way, I'm not familiar with commercial radio regulations on this. Apparently they are not required to use DSC for normal safety communications, or maybe it is the opposite, they are still required to make normal safety communications in the open on channel 16 and 13 because they seem to be continually yacking on there still for things like Pan Pan calls.
__________________

__________________
Kettlewell Cruising
Kettlewell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 16:05   #107
Moderator
 
nigel1's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Manchester, UK
Boat: Beneteau 473
Posts: 5,194
Re: Resistance to DSC VHF

One of the idea's of DSC was to cut down on the yacking by commercial vessels.
When we're towing we send a safety alert by DSC to all stations indicating a working channel on which to listen for the safety message.
Its all about education, and still has a long way to go
__________________

__________________
Nigel
Beneteau 473
Manchester, UK
nigel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 16:12   #108
Registered User
 
Greg S's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 328
Re: Resistance to DSC VHF

I fully agree that a keypad would be nice and, in fact, vital to general acceptance, but I found entering in the Coast Guard MMSI numbers (from back in post #26) not to be any harder than naming the waypoints in my old Garmin chartplotter, which I do with far, far more frequency than the MMSI numbers. The newer ones, chartplotters that is, have key pads or touchscreen entry systems and one would fully expect that the next generation VHFs will go that route too.

I suspect that technology will continue to outpace the longevity of most all communication devices, not just VHF radios, and not just radios. Just ask the 12.2, 24.4 36.6, etc phone modems that I saved until they were dust encrusted junk before tossing them out.
__________________
Greg S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 16:17   #109
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 3,949
Re: Resistance to DSC VHF

The funny thing is that when GPS units first came out they had nice keypads, and so did a lot of VHF radios many years ago. Then they all went to these ridiculous menu systems apparently in the interest of saving a few bucks in manufacturing costs. I fondly remember the first GPS I ever had that had a huge keypad and operating procedures that were the essence of simplicity.
__________________
Kettlewell Cruising
Kettlewell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 16:29   #110
Registered User
 
psneeld's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Avalon, NJ
Boat: Albin 40 double cabin Trawler
Posts: 1,833
Re: Resistance to DSC VHF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post
The funny thing is that when GPS units first came out they had nice keypads, and so did a lot of VHF radios many years ago. Then they all went to these ridiculous menu systems apparently in the interest of saving a few bucks in manufacturing costs. I fondly remember the first GPS I ever had that had a huge keypad and operating procedures that were the essence of simplicity.
I have the sneaky suspicion the keypads or lack thereof are more a function of making radios smaller and more waterproof..keypads are relatively cheap in todays age.
__________________
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 16:35   #111
Senior Cruiser
 
delmarrey's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Now in Blaine, WA
Boat: Modified Choate 40
Posts: 10,702
Images: 122
Re: Resistance to DSC VHF

Hopefully some day they'll come out with a wireless (bluetooth) keypad that can be used on every thing from phones to kitchen utilities.
__________________
Faithful are the Wounds of a Friend, but the Kisses of the Enemy are Deceitful! ........
A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves!

Unprepared boaters, end up as floatsum!.......
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 16:37   #112
Registered User
 
SV Enough's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: St. Petersburg FL
Boat: Morgan, center cockpit sloop, 44 - Enough
Posts: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by nigel1
One of the idea's of DSC was to cut down on the yacking by commercial vessels.
When we're towing we send a safety alert by DSC to all stations indicating a working channel on which to listen for the safety message.
Its all about education, and still has a long way to go
I also get SRM (Safety Related Message) text messages, Which come up on my chartplotter.

Your friend,
Mark
__________________
SV Enough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 16:42   #113
Moderator
 
Boracay's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Pelican Bay, Great Sandy National Park
Boat: Steel Roberts Offshore 44
Posts: 5,175
Images: 18
Banning the MMSI...

Using the MMSI is clumsy, time consuming and error prone. It would look to have too few digits to make it future proof.

I don't see why we have to have an MMSI at all. There might be one in my EPIRB, but I know nothing about it. All I have to do is get online, enter the registration numbers and it's done. If I make a mistake or circumstances change I can go back online and change things.

And while we're talking about making things easier why not make it compulsory for all DSC radios to have inbuilt GPS? The current wiring on my chartplotter and VHF needs to have two sets of wires with different colour coding permanently joined together, leaving an expensive bit of bling permanently on show. It couldn't cost more than a few dollars to do, and even if it was a little inaccurate perfectionists could still be free to get it down to 10' or so.

Even if making VHF DSC friendly doubled the cost of a VHF radio I'd be almost happy to pay it for the peace of mind gained.

Australia has not, as far as I know, paid anything more than lip service to DSC. Instead we have look to have "turned" VHF mostly over to volunteer rescue service. They do a magnificent job too.

If mobile phones were as user unfriendly as DSC no one would bother with them either.
__________________
Rust never sleeps
Boracay Blog.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 17:04   #114
Nearly an old salt
 
goboatingnow's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 13,649
Images: 3
Re: Resistance to DSC VHF

I actually think there are "two" DSC's

The good bit, is the semi -automated Distress and Urgency alerting process. The nonsense is Routine calls. DSC should have been left soley as a distress altering technique , which is all that is required under GMDSS.

However ship operators saw DSC as a way of reducing the need for a manned radio watch. Thats what prompted Routie DSC calls.

Dave
__________________
Check out my new blog on smart boat technology, networking and gadgets for the connected sailor! - http://smartboats.tumblr.com
goboatingnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 17:38   #115
Registered User
 
SV Enough's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: St. Petersburg FL
Boat: Morgan, center cockpit sloop, 44 - Enough
Posts: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boracay
Using the MMSI is clumsy, time consuming and error prone. It would look to have too few digits to make it future proof.

I don't see why we have to have an MMSI at all. There might be one in my EPIRB, but I know nothing about it. All I have to do is get online, enter the registration numbers and it's done. If I make a mistake or circumstances change I can go back online and change things.

And while we're talking about making things easier why not make it compulsory for all DSC radios to have inbuilt GPS? The current wiring on my chartplotter and VHF needs to have two sets of wires with different colour coding permanently joined together, leaving an expensive bit of bling permanently on show. It couldn't cost more than a few dollars to do, and even if it was a little inaccurate perfectionists could still be free to get it down to 10' or so.

Even if making VHF DSC friendly doubled the cost of a VHF radio I'd be almost happy to pay it for the peace of mind gained.

Australia has not, as far as I know, paid anything more than lip service to DSC. Instead we have look to have "turned" VHF mostly over to volunteer rescue service. They do a magnificent job too.

If mobile phones were as user unfriendly as DSC no one would bother with them either.
At least you can not blame this one on the yanks. :-) The US is a late comer to all this which is a United Nation SOLAS (Survival of Life at Sea) treaty nations signed up to. The US being one and the signatories and it is possible Australia is also a signatory. The US was a huge foot dragger and even had a stripped out class D spec called SC-101 because it was chapter that no other nation accepted.

That all changed after Sept 11. It was suddenly realized what a security risk maritime traffic was. The US then got on board with the treaty and stopped foot dragging.

If you don't like where this has all lead, it's what we got.

Your friend,
Mark
__________________
SV Enough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 05:57   #116
Moderator
 
nigel1's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Manchester, UK
Boat: Beneteau 473
Posts: 5,194
Re: Resistance to DSC VHF

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Enough View Post
I also get SRM (Safety Related Message) text messages, Which come up on my chartplotter.

Your friend,
Mark

SRM's are misued as well by commercial vessels, some even using it to send suggestions for collision avoidance, or using it as a SMS test service to gossip
__________________
Nigel
Beneteau 473
Manchester, UK
nigel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 09:54   #117
Senior Cruiser
 
delmarrey's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Now in Blaine, WA
Boat: Modified Choate 40
Posts: 10,702
Images: 122
Re: Resistance to DSC VHF

DCS VHF with a keypad! If you got the money Honey? The ICOM M604, $500.

http://www.icomamerica.com/en/produc...fications.aspx



.
Attached Images
 
__________________
Faithful are the Wounds of a Friend, but the Kisses of the Enemy are Deceitful! ........
A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves!

Unprepared boaters, end up as floatsum!.......
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 10:35   #118
Registered User
 
Greg S's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 328
Re: Resistance to DSC VHF

Del,

Yes, exactly! If you have money enough and space enough all is good.
__________________
Greg S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 10:45   #119
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 3,949
Re: Resistance to DSC VHF

Yep, there a few keypad radios that are very expensive, but when you think that any old cell phone you can buy for $15.95 has a nice keypad and probably 10X the computing horsepower of the highest end VHF it looks pretty ridiculous.
__________________
Kettlewell Cruising
Kettlewell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 10:51   #120
Senior Cruiser
 
delmarrey's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Now in Blaine, WA
Boat: Modified Choate 40
Posts: 10,702
Images: 122
Re: Resistance to DSC VHF

And another spendy one......... Standard Horizon QUANTUM GX5500S Commercial-Grade DSC VHF PA/Loud Hailer


.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GX5500S_thumb.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	24590  
__________________

__________________
Faithful are the Wounds of a Friend, but the Kisses of the Enemy are Deceitful! ........
A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves!

Unprepared boaters, end up as floatsum!.......
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
dsc, vhf

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
VHF Antenna Resistance Value nigel1 Marine Electronics 22 30-09-2010 00:31
VHF with Dsc and GPS holmek Marine Electronics 4 07-07-2010 13:09
Fixed VHF with GPS for DSC? bristolsailor Marine Electronics 4 01-08-2009 21:57
DSC marine VHF & MMSI? Tropic Cat Marine Electronics 6 11-12-2007 17:48
Icom DSC VHF Nauticatarcher Marine Electronics 8 18-08-2007 16:43



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 22:03.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.