Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-05-2012, 05:54   #1

Boat: 47' Steel Roberts Cutter
Removing Mud from Anchor Chain

Hey - been a long time lurker, but first time poster. This is an amazing resource of data and experience - thanks folks!

I am in the process of completing the purchase of a 47' steel cutter; getting ready for a trip in the coming years with my family. One of the things that has always been a small, but interesting challenge to us is the effective cleaning of anchor chain when you haul back after anchoring in mud/silt.

Sounds trivial I know - but seriously, Some of the harbors we anchor in have, shall we say 'primitive' sewage systems, and centuries of effluent have turned the bottom muck into, well, not very nice stuff. If you don't get ALL of it off, then your anchor chain locker starts to stink pretty well - and that permeates the whole boat.

What is the wisdom of the group regarding this challenge? I know a good deck wash nozzle and a brush can do a lot - but then you have to haul so dang slowly that you end up drifting dangerously with 20-40 ft of chain dangling in the water as you laboriously clean the stuff coming in link by link.

Does anyone know of a better solution?

thanks-
NSboatman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor