Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-08-2012, 07:23   #1

Boat: Westsail 32
Questions About Guest Man Overboard Strobe

My good old boat came with quite a bit of gear when she was purchased and I am atemting to sort some of it out. One piece is a Guest xenon strobe model 301, I am thinking this is a man overboard light that is meant to be attached to my man overboard buoy, it has a strap to hanf from the lifeline near the pole. I believe it is water activated as it has no switch. I have searched the internet trying to find any info, to no avail. So the questions are as follows: 1. Anyone no anthing about this strobe? 2. Can batteries still be found? 3. How do you normally attach it to the overboard pole and should my horsehoe buoy be included within the entire setup?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P8110015.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	394.1 KB
ID:	44729  
Old 11-08-2012, 07:42   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Re: Questions About Guest Man Overboard Strobe

Quite often the batteries for a strobe like this is a single lantern battery. Be careful to get the regular (lighter) battery. The heavier lantern batteries will sink some of them. After you get a new battery test it to make sure it floats.

Most of them are a gravity switch. They turn on in the upright position and are stored in an upside down position.

You want to attach it to your Type 4 throwable device....life ring or horseshoe buoy.

I was looking online to get more information about your strobe. Marinco seems to own Guest and Marinco does not list your strobe. It may be a discontinued product. If you Google the product number of your strobe you may be able to get more information....such as what type of battery is required and what type of battery should not be placed in the strobe.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 07:48   #3

Boat: 43 ft Selene/Solo

Chris......I used to have on of those. It is activated by an internal (mercury?) switch. It will float in the upright position, and activate the strobe. It is stored upside down, hanging on the strap on the rail. I think that the battries are standard, readily available at hardware stores, (maybe D cells?)
It should be teathered to the man overboard pole, with a long enough line to allow it to float and turn itself rightside up nearby, but stay close. I don't think you need to incorporate it with the horseshoe ring, just too many things to get over the side in a hurry. Save the horseshoe for when you get closer to your MOB.
Are you really that close to getting in some sailing on that boat?
Ralph Waldo Emerson
captain465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 08:05   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain465 View Post
Chris......I used to have on of those. It is activated by an internal (mercury?) switch. It will float in the upright position, and activate the strobe. It is stored upside down, hanging on the strap on the rail. I think that the battries are standard, readily available at hardware stores, (maybe D cells?)
It should be teathered to the man overboard pole, with a long enough line to allow it to float and turn itself rightside up nearby, but stay close. I don't think you need to incorporate it with the horseshoe ring, just too many things to get over the side in a hurry. Save the horseshoe for when you get closer to your MOB.
Are you really that close to getting in some sailing on that boat?
Hey Capt. Fred, mast is going up next week and hope to be sailing soon after. The mercury switch makes total sense,, however the housing is round, the wires hang down from the upper lamp section with two small ring connectors on the end, having a little difficulty figuring what type of battery, (do you remember). Also no gasket for the two sections will have to come up with something. Hope your well and enjoying the life.
Old 11-08-2012, 08:11   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

Google the product number to get the specifics.

Without the rubber O-ring it is worthless. Either get one that fits or throw it away. (Grainger or McMaster-Carr) Lube the O-ring with a little silicon grease...never Vaseline.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 08:20   #6

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

I have a similar model, but not identical. It's "activation" method is dead simple, it is mounted "upside down" (strobe bulb facing down) in a quick release bracket, when it it is dropped in the water the weight of the lantern battery acts like ballast and flips the unit right side up, the battery slides to the bottom, and engages contacts at the bottom.

Just remove the end cap on the unit and take a look.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 08:27   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
I have a similar model, but not identical. It's "activation" method is dead simple, it is mounted "upside down" (strobe bulb facing down) in a quick release bracket, when it it is dropped in the water the weight of the lantern battery acts like ballast and flips the unit right side up, the battery slides to the bottom, and engages contacts at the bottom.

Just remove the end cap on the unit and take a look.
I did and it appears that it takes a standard square lantern battery. Should be simple enough to make a gasket from a little butyl. I am trying to figure out where to attach it to the MOB pole.
Old 11-08-2012, 09:11   #8

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by cburger View Post
I did and it appears that it takes a standard square lantern battery. Should be simple enough to make a gasket from a little butyl. I am trying to figure out where to attach it to the MOB pole.
Mine is tethered to the MOB pole with a short lanyard. It is secured by a "c" shaped metal bracket which clips to the MOB strobe and will release it with a pull on the lanyard.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
overboard