Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-02-2013, 12:49   #106
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Re: Piracy :-/

Quote:
As to what I'm unlimbering, or other aspects of my defence, are nobody's business. I wish there was a thread specifically to assist folks in learning about what current legal rules are around the world with regard to guns, as well as a sober and serious discussions about what is useful and what is not....but this is sadly impossible because of the "gunsrbad" derailers that seem to think that the only people in the world trustworthy with guns are official,
Whoo there cowboy, Im one of the "cold dead hand " boys. Im not interested in a pro/anti gun debate. Im not interested in "liberty and property" debates etc etc. thats a completely different topic.

The fact is and a cursory inspection of many countries laws will afirm, that carrying any sort of semi-potent firearm is cumbersome and fraught with problems if one is to do it legally. I have delivered one or two boats that had firearms aboard and the resulting customs hassle way way outweighed the dubious advantageous,

Im all for a sober and serious discussion.

Lets start with (a) in most places you cant easily and legally carry a firearm on a yacht. Discuss what to do next,.

After that lets discuss how people on board armed with not much more then a bread-knife deal with potentially armed intruders.

Absolulty lets have a serious discussions, just stop bringing Chuck Norris into it.

Dave
Old 15-02-2013, 12:54   #107
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
But remember the flare gun was for a specific type of threat in a known area where the guys have balked at flare guns before. Its not up against Somali pirates, though I did have flares for them, to make us look more difficult than the others in the convoy (remember the joke about not having to outrun a lion.... only be faster runner than your mate
A flare gun is a useful "deterrent" especially against an opponent say armed with only a knife, likely the sight of a "gun like" object may make them think twice as they may not know what they are looking at. So in that case yes. That assumes of course you arnt surprised, running for the flare case with the instruder coming down the companion way , just might get you shot. A good looking airsoft pistol might have the same effect too.

Note that in several countries flare guns have to be licensed

But against a determined armed aggressor, I personally wouldn't rate it .

Hand held rocket flares are almost useless unless real close up, like you can smell the coffee breath.

Dave
Old 15-02-2013, 13:08   #108
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

i just let the girls take care of things..........nothing more scary than a women with pmt and an automatic rifle
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	17867_399432525436_710060436_10438089_1785293_nnanny from hell.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	54880  
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2013, 13:11   #109
Nearly an old salt

Jesus AToll, no women with PMS should be anywhere near a gun. Have you a death wish, Its like when the "slagging " gets a bit heated at the firing range , and I mention that 8 guys all armed to teeth with loaded firearms are standing around !!
DAve
Old 15-02-2013, 13:15   #110
Nearly an old salt

this would be my preferred sort of setup, unfortunately cant seem to get it past the customs at the next port......

Old 15-02-2013, 13:36   #111
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Jesus AToll, no women with PMS should be anywhere near a gun. Have you a death wish, Its like when the "slagging " gets a bit heated at the firing range , and I mention that 8 guys all armed to teeth with loaded firearms are standing around !!
DAve
psychology dave! it is all about psychology,the pep talk i give the girls before a run up the gulf of aden is all about how the somali's prefer their women circumcised,they will probably end up in a hareem and have to wear ninja outfits for the rest of their lives.

somehow after that little talk the girls seem to take special care to look after the captain..............
Old 15-02-2013, 13:37   #112
Boating writer, book author

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Various

Avoid Chicago, LOL
Old 15-02-2013, 13:39   #113
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
they will probably end up in a hareem and have to wear ninja outfits for the rest of their lives.
I dont know,mine usually saying living with men is terrible and being all nice and cosy together ... ( and anyway you knows what under the burca)!.

Im always supercious anyway that women are like my friendly Labrador, always ready to go off with the one that tickles their ear!.

dfave
Old 15-02-2013, 13:53   #114
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
I dont know,mine usually saying living with men is terrible and being all nice and cosy together ... ( and anyway you knows what under the burca)!.

Im always supercious anyway that women are like my friendly Labrador, always ready to go off with the one that tickles their ear!.

dfave
thats when i tell them muslim men like to hold hands with each other,and they will probably never see their perfume and makeup again as they like to use it on the young lads..........
Old 15-02-2013, 14:05   #115
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
thats when i tell them muslim men like to hold hands with each other,and they will probably never see their perfume and makeup again as they like to use it on the young lads..........

O.....K , just where are you going here atoll

Dave
Old 15-02-2013, 14:13   #116
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Piracy :-/

Quote:
O.....K , just where are you going here atoll

Dave
All the way.. if he can make it...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2013, 14:21   #117
Nearly an old salt

Old 15-02-2013, 14:36   #118
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by micah719 View Post
... I wish there was a thread specifically to assist folks in learning about what current legal rules are around the world with regard to guns ...
There was.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ntry-1641.html

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2013, 18:59   #119
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
About the rubber buckshot shells as less than lethal ammo: I am not sure about this. I believe this ammo is called "less lethal", not "less than lethal" and that it will probably be lethal when the range to target is within 30'. You might want to check that.

As always with these threads, the context is missing or ignored. Where carrying a shotgun in countries like Australia or whatever might get you in trouble, most Caribbean nations consider it a tool more than a weapon and are fine with it. Just make sure to always declare it when asked.

Handguns are a no-no in most places and will get you into jail in many incl. Mexico. Rifles are frowned upon too.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2013, 19:09   #120
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by micah719 View Post
The net at least keeps the crook off your deck. That is already better than waking up with them in your berth. Might also stop your outboard and bino's being nicked.
So, you are visiting places where you consider the threat of a boarding by robbers to be real - and then you all go to sleep. with the hatch open .

Being awake when trouble comes tends to be useful.

Someone on Anchor watch would deter 90% of folks. and the rest if the watch had a machete . Or failing that simply lock the hatches or go for a MarkJ style approach.

Whilst it is possible to be unlucky pretty much everywhere - nonetheless IMO "you" have to ask yerself long and hard why exactly you want to visit somewhere that the locals are known to board boats with guns, even if only now and again. Bizarre .

Folks boarding with no gun should mean they are sh#t outta luck due to home advantage (if some thought gone in ahead and some willingness applied during).
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote