Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-03-2018, 09:47   #16

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Re: Ocean Rodeo Drysuits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Something for the crew? at £25 each that's the price of Icelandic Fish and Chips.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Viking-Ne....c100005.m1851
The famous Gumby Suit! Good for survival but probably not so good for working on deck.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2018, 10:36   #17
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
OK. So if we can't read your article, could you at least give us the Cliff Notes? Which of the drysuits did you like, and why?
As for Cliff's Notes, subscribe.

The article was not a review of brands, it was a review of dry suits vs. immersion suits. The bottom line is that they are very close in many ways, but must be fitted to the person and are excellent deck wear in certain conditions. I would (did) buy one for all of the non-survival reasons.

I've worn a number of suits, all specialized for some purpose. All were good. For my purposes (kayaking, deckwear in the winter as a coastal sailor, and other contingencies) I am happy with my choice. But I'm willing to accept that a heavier duty suit would better suit someone that was planning to spend a LOT of time in the north in all weather (Volvo, Oil platforms). I suspect that is very, very few of us, and the rest, including most winter sailors, will be better served by the lighter, more agile suits (which are still very sturdy and very warm!). Specific to the Ocean Roeo suits, I like the stand-by mode (neck seal open, under integral jacket). I use it a lot sailing.

One of the significant reasons I sometimes wear one in the winter is MOB risk, particularly when singlehanding. It is the only way you will survive.
Old 25-03-2018, 11:14   #18

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
As for Cliff's Notes, subscribe.

The article was not a review of brands, it was a review of dry suits vs. immersion suits. The bottom line is that they are very close in many ways, but must be fitted to the person and are excellent deck wear in certain conditions. I would (did) buy one for all of the non-survival reasons.

I've worn a number of suits, all specialized for some purpose. All were good. For my purposes (kayaking, deckwear in the winter as a coastal sailor, and other contingencies) I am happy with my choice. But I'm willing to accept that a heavier duty suit would better suit someone that was planning to spend a LOT of time in the north in all weather (Volvo, Oil platforms). I suspect that is very, very few of us, and the rest, including most winter sailors, will be better served by the lighter, more agile suits (which are still very sturdy and very warm!). Specific to the Ocean Roeo suits, I like the stand-by mode (neck seal open, under integral jacket). I use it a lot sailing.

One of the significant reasons I sometimes wear one in the winter is MOB risk, particularly when singlehanding. It is the only way you will survive.
As a boat bum with no feasible address for delivery of paper periodicals, thank you for the Clif Notes Which are very useful.

You say "I use it a lot sailing" -- which sounds like you chose and own the Ocean Rodeo suit. I take that as a strong vote of confidence.

I very, very much like the idea that reasonable deckwear can also save your life in case of going overboard. I am most definitely a cold water sailor -- I haven't been below 50N in a few years and have always gotten above 60N every year for the last 4. I always considered that I was simply dead if I went over, and most definitely if I went over while single-handing. I love the idea that wearing one of these might give me a fighting chance. Together with a PLB and an AIS MOB beacon.

So I will concretely need this for my Arctic cruise this summer, but I see that I will get a lot of use out of it even around here, sailing in the winter as I like to do, and often single handed.

Thanks for the info.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Walt Whitman
Old 25-03-2018, 11:42   #19

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
I like the stand-by mode (neck seal open, under integral jacket). I use it a lot sailing.
This is the sentence that makes this drysuit stand out. One of the big downsides is what happens if you wear a drysuit for long periods of time and you sweat? In cold weather the water vapour removes much of the insulation gained by clothes under the drysuit.

The ability to have a suit that can breath through the open neck seal as you move about means water vapour isn't building up to the extend a fully sealed suit would.
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2018, 11:45   #20

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
This is the sentence that makes this drysuit stand out. One of the big downsides is what happens if you wear a drysuit for long periods of time and you sweat? In cold weather the water vapour removes much of the insulation gained by clothes under the drysuit.

The ability to have a suit that can breath through the open neck seal as you move about means water vapour isn't building up to the extend a fully sealed suit would.
I think using really good breathable material also makes a huge difference. One of the Ocean Rodeo propaganda videos shows a suit held over a humidifier - with the mist coming straight through. Impressive.
Walt Whitman
Old 25-03-2018, 11:48   #21

Boat: Rafiki 37

I’ve been following and learning. Most of my cruising time is spent in colder areas (not as far north as Dockhead though!). I’ve also spent a lot of time canoeing and sea kayaking in these waters. Falling in is simply not an option… but of course, it can happen.

The problem is trying to find the right balance of wearable gear that is functional the 99% of the time when it is not saving your @ss. So I thank you Thin. You’ve got me thinking about these Ocean Rodeo suits. Price is high, but might be worth it if they really are functional to live in.
Old 25-03-2018, 11:49   #22

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
I think using really good breathable material also makes a huge difference. One of the Ocean Rodeo propaganda videos shows a suit held over a humidifier - with the mist coming straight through. Impressive.
I was under the impression that Gortex et al doesn't like salt, so they have to be kept clean to work properly. It was tried for diving suits and abandoned so they went back to either neoprene or a tri-laminate type of suit.
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2018, 12:02   #23
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Yes, I own an Ocean Rodeo Ignite (colors change over the years). I bought it before I wrote the article, because there was a good boat show deal and I had been wanting one since my beach cat racing days 20 years before. I'd been using a wet suit and was getting tired of it.

The Goretex seems to be OK with seawater. I've yet to rinse it and it has only seen freshwater rivers a few times. I can kayak up to about 55F without getting cooked, a little warmer sailing with the neck open. Obviously, the number of layers change, and if the air is warmish and you are wearing minimal layers (one layer top and bottom, cold water is going to be a little cold. Nothing like foul weather gear, but instead of a survival time measured in days, it might be down to a few hours. I've been in 45F water with a single layer to dive on an anchor, and it was cold on the arms, but not chilling like jumping in 70F water bare. This is only an issue in the very early spring.

Most of the year, if I need to get in the water to check on something, I just pull it on over whatever I have on and that's about right. When you come out you are dry as a bone and ready to get back to sailing.
Old 25-03-2018, 13:49   #24

Boat: Oyster 66

Here’s a much cheaper alternative. I don’t know it it is any good though.
Mullion Smart SOLAS Suit 2A
poiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2018, 14:00   #25

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Yes, I own an Ocean Rodeo Ignite (colors change over the years). I bought it before I wrote the article, because there was a good boat show deal and I had been wanting one since my beach cat racing days 20 years before. I'd been using a wet suit and was getting tired of it.

The Goretex seems to be OK with seawater. I've yet to rinse it and it has only seen freshwater rivers a few times. I can kayak up to about 55F without getting cooked, a little warmer sailing with the neck open. Obviously, the number of layers change, and if the air is warmish and you are wearing minimal layers (one layer top and bottom, cold water is going to be a little cold. Nothing like foul weather gear, but instead of a survival time measured in days, it might be down to a few hours. I've been in 45F water with a single layer to dive on an anchor, and it was cold on the arms, but not chilling like jumping in 70F water bare. This is only an issue in the very early spring.

Most of the year, if I need to get in the water to check on something, I just pull it on over whatever I have on and that's about right. When you come out you are dry as a bone and ready to get back to sailing.
That sounds fabulous. I just pulled the triggered and ordered a Boss. The cost makes my eyes water. I think I paid less for my first car . I will look like a fireman or a SAR worker -- funny. But where I sail, is not like the Med. It's not a fashion show

Thinwater, I see from your photo that you're wearing a wetsuit hood, is that right? One of those with a face gasket ought to be the perfect complement to this suit for those days in a gale with vertical rain. One thing I hate about my present boat is that I can't see out of her in the rain without sticking my head above the spray hood. I use a diving mask, but it's still right unpleasant. Next boat will have windscreen wipers
Walt Whitman
Old 25-03-2018, 15:45   #26

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"

Definitely work on getting your neck seal just right. The dry suits I've worn (fire dept rescue team) fit too tight and slowly turned my face purple. . . . Finding everyday comfort in a drysuit is the holy grail.
Cormorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2018, 15:59   #27

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cormorant View Post
Definitely work on getting your neck seal just right. The dry suits I've worn (fire dept rescue team) fit too tight and slowly turned my face purple. . . . Finding everyday comfort in a drysuit is the holy grail.
The suit I've ordered has an adjustable neck seal. It's an important thing for me. Hate any constriction around the neck.
Walt Whitman
Old 25-03-2018, 17:17   #28

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
The suit I've ordered has an adjustable neck seal. It's an important thing for me. Hate any constriction around the neck.
I’ll be interested in your report once you’ve had some time with it DH. My main hesitancy around this kind of gear is how well I can live and sail with it on.

Tags
rode