Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-03-2010, 13:16   #1
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
Medical Emergency Resources

I am starting this thread for the specific purpose of providing cruising members with a place to seek opinions and free advice on the best “local” medical support from resident sailors in any given area.

Whether it is used for preplanning or an actual “medical” emergency call for help, I suggest that the name of the area is put in the sub title of the post to help in a search.

I am also curious about which interactive medical software to help diagnose and manage family health issues are considered the best today by some of our medical members.

I have in the past purchased interactive discs from the Mayo Clinic to use in circumnavigations but now I find it online Mayo Clinic medical information and tools for healthy living - MayoClinic.com

I still think having that computer resource offline is prudent so look forward to updated advice from various users on which software programs to look at.

Lastly, there can be no liability in providing advice from friends on best local medical resources.

It is just the kind of help we hope we never need, but perhaps this Thread can become a useful place to find it, when you are a stranger in a strange land.

My apologies if this thread already exists
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2010, 19:17   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
I am starting this thread for the specific purpose of providing cruising members with a place to seek opinions and free advice on the best “local” medical support from resident sailors in any given area.

Whether it is used for preplanning or an actual “medical” emergency call for help, I suggest that the name of the area is put in the sub title of the post to help in a search.

I am also curious about which interactive medical software to help diagnose and manage family health issues are considered the best today by some of our medical members.

I have in the past purchased interactive discs from the Mayo Clinic to use in circumnavigations but now I find it online Mayo Clinic medical information and tools for healthy living - MayoClinic.com

I still think having that computer resource offline is prudent so look forward to updated advice from various users on which software programs to look at.

Lastly, there can be no liability in providing advice from friends on best local medical resources.

It is just the kind of help we hope we never need, but perhaps this Thread can become a useful place to find it, when you are a stranger in a strange land.

My apologies if this thread already exists
Pelagic - Good Thread, where are you now?
Here is a link to the Merck Manual (this version converted to layman's English) THE MERCK MANUAL MEDICAL LIBRARY: The Merck Manual of Medical Information--Home Edition
In South East Asian waters:- Hong Kong, Singapore, Malaysia and Thailand; these countries have excellent facilities with well trained professional staff. If you like I can detail specific hospitals and clinics - both inpatient and outpatient.
Laidback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2010, 05:59   #3
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
Thanks Laidback…. I am in the Philippines and St Luke’s in Manila is probably the best hospital in this country along with Makati Hospital.

I am hoping this thread will become a “go to” for specific recommendations if someone ever needs it
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 05:48   #4

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 45DS
The Ship Captain's Medical Guide

Many consider 'The Ship Captain's Medical Guide' published on line at the UK Maritime and Coastguard Agency's website in PDF format to be a gold standard.

It certainly is weighted heavily towards incidents which can happen at sea with even sections on 'Diseases of Fishermen' and the procedures for disposal of bodies at sea and treatment of survivors.

I believe it is a mandatory document for vessels over a certain length under British flag.

Duncan
S/Y TALISA
duncan_ellison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 06:31   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau 473
Coast Radio Stations

Most countries operate a system where by the CRS can put a vessel in contact with expert medical advice, either over radio, sat phone, mobile etc.
nigel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 07:21   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by duncan_ellison View Post
Many consider 'The Ship Captain's Medical Guide' published on line at the UK Maritime and Coastguard Agency's website in PDF format to be a gold standard.
First useful thing I've ever seen a govt produce....

Looks like it is worth printing out and putting in a ring binder. Paper rarely goes wrong unlike computers, PDFs etc.
mintyspilot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
medical