Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-11-2017, 02:47   #31

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft
Re: Is it just me or this is a terrible idea?

Links to Propane Safety Standards :

UK-BSS https://www.boatsafetyscheme.org/med...de%20chap7.pdf
Old 20-11-2017, 04:16   #32
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by crankysailor View Post
Oh I see that NahanniV beat me to it.. :-)

Math..is a bitch.
no not math, people trying to start arguments. A rear ended accident is a description of how the accident happened not a specific of the damage sustained by the vehicles .
Old 20-11-2017, 04:41   #33

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

Quote:
snip
But the point about electric motors potential for „sparkiness“ kind of settles it for me...
This is the only part that bothers me. Yes there is a drain down low, but what if the leak is major and the compartment reaches an explosive concentration of air/gas? Activate the windlass and kaboom
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2017, 05:10   #34

Boat: Beneteau 461 47'

Quote:
Originally Posted by NahanniV View Post
..Was told by surveyor that ABYC requires a dedicated propane locker..
It is dedicated - just happens to have chain/rode and a windlass in there too.. ;-)
Old 20-11-2017, 05:12   #35

Boat: Beneteau 461 47'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Actually, it is not clear what the OP was asking about: the windlass or the LPG installation.

IMO, neither is very good! Most of the reasons have been raised by previous posts, but my biggest gripe is the exposure of the regulator and the solenoid valve to the water ingress common to foredeck lockers. Bad juju! And rust on the little gas cylinders would be an issue of they are owned rather than swapped... I dunno what practice is in that part of the world.

If this is a Najad as stated, I suppose that the gas installation must meet EU standards. Seems odd...

Jim
I'm with Jim on this one - any forward locker or the chain locker would seem to be a poor placement for gas cylinders and gas valves considering the amount of saltwater that typically washes through the locker..
Old 20-11-2017, 05:23   #36

Boat: Trident marine Voyager 30

Quote:

These are also boats from early 90s.. that predates the EU at least in its current form, I think.
I think that's before RCD was implemented, believe it was implemented in 1998.
Anders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2017, 07:28   #37
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailFastTri View Post
This is the only part that bothers me. Yes there is a drain down low, but what if the leak is major and the compartment reaches an explosive concentration of air/gas? Activate the windlass and kaboom
the windlass is not in the chain locker it is in its own compartment just aft of the locker. (See the first post and picture)
Old 20-11-2017, 08:31   #38

Boat: Westerly Conway 36ft

"For a small boat with limited chain storage, it is essential to be able to knock the chain tower over unless you are the kind of person that only has a few feet of chain at the anchor. I have somewhere around 150 ft with rode after that and if I couldn't knock the tower over it would never fit. I sure as heck don't want to go to the back of the boat, go inside to the front, knock the chain tower over, go back to the back get on top and walk back to the front to bring in another ten feet before repeating the exercise!"

Oh I dunno! Helps keep you fit! On my boat its only once per anchor lift, but I am considering cutting a hole in my foredeck to fit a say 10 inch circular hatch to let me reach down to knock over the chain stack. Should be possible to reinforce the deck so its strong enough. Its on my "to-do" list but keeps getting demoted by higher priorities...
Clivevon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2017, 08:37   #39

I'm not sure what you are asking about...? The propane? (is that what the blue things are?) I dont like the idea of propane there, just because of how wet those bow lockers are from bow water. They take in water, but stay wet as the doors are shut most the time. Fittings, regulator, solenoid and tanks will corrode fast.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2017, 09:12   #40

Boat: Jeanneau 49DS

On my reading of the relevant parts of the RCD (Recreational Craft Directive) this fitment is non-compliant. It is a dangerous and terrible idea.

Quite apart from the RCD, if you take the view that the safe course with gas is to always turn it off at the bottle when not in use, consider the implications of having to go forward to the bow to do that in a seaway.

I might be accused of paranoia about gas but I now have a tag which hangs out of the locker, without effecting the gas sealed top, whenever the bottle is open. Better to be reminded and safe than sorry.
Alita49DS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2017, 09:22   #41

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by deblen View Post
The BSS is only for inland boats on rivers and canals. There are no regulations for a yacht at sea , other than a couple of SOLAS for yachts under 13.7m.

I like it , nice big anchor locker were you can see what is going on and for a long voyage store extra Gaz cylinders. They only hold 2.7kgs of gas which doesn't last long so we switched to larger calor gas recently. The Gaz regulator looks a little dated but that isn't the manufacturers problem. Oh and judging by the mouldings I think its original.

Wonder if the bow anchor in addition to the kedge fits in there so that it isn't exposed on the bow.

This is ours,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Anchor 008.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	418.3 KB
ID:	159457  
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2017, 11:16   #42

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Wonder if the bow anchor in addition to the kedge fits in there so that it isn't exposed on the bow.
IMO, the bower anchor should NOT be hidden away in a locker... rather it should be on the roller, ready for instant deployment. Having to wrestle it out of the locker on a heaving foredeck (and there are times when one must anchor in less than ideal conditions) is a poor situation. And storage of spare/kedge anchors way forward isn't ideal from a weight distribution standpoint, either.

So, I dunno, Pete... you sure that this is a good idea?

Jim
Old 20-11-2017, 11:54   #43

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
So, I dunno, Pete... you sure that this is a good idea? Jim
Yes, because that Rocna is 10kg so light I can pick it up with one hand and toss it over the side, though I normally take a bit more care. Appreciate that larger yachts can't do this.

Keeping it in the anchor locker means two things to me, it's out of sight of those with light fingers and when maneuvering around tight marinas it is one less sharp spiky object to worry about.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2017, 13:29   #44

Boat: Challenger 32 1974

A bit too African Queen for me!
Bill

Quote:
I saw this recently while seeing a boat I was thinking of buying and I just ran into this picture from a similar boat..it seems it is a bit of a „design feature“ on Najad boats.. this strikes me as a reaaaally bad idea... but then again a reputable yard can’t be *that* wrong now can they?

Attachment 159405
anacapaisland42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2017, 13:32   #45

Boat: Custom steel, 41' LOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
nope the fuel tanks in vehicles are not normally in the front due to lack of space due to the engine being there. Most tanks are located towards the rear ( where most collisions impact first.)
All VW rear-engined cars, including Beetles, used to have their gas tanks right up front. I know because mine caught fire when I T-boned a guy who ran a stop sign in front of me. Exciting!
Scorpius is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rib