Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-10-2012, 16:42   #16
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'
Re: Tropical Storm Sandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmacdonald View Post
Looks like the press is going to blow this storm way out of proportion like they always do.

I don't think they're exaggerating this time.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2012, 16:44   #17
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Looks like the press is going to blow this storm way out of proportion like they always do.
Well lets hope so, but plan as if they are right!
Old 26-10-2012, 16:46   #18

Boat: 40 ft Cheoy Lee S/V Sun Chaser

While I am sitting safely in Missouri with my boat safely in a slip in Texas I won't speculate on how bad it will or or won't be. I can say it looks like a nasty mess and the storm surges have already begun along the coast. We have made many hurricane runs to secure our boat and while we have never been hit we were never sorry that we made the effort. I send thoughts of safety and calming seas to any in the way of Mother Nature.
Sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2012, 16:52   #19

Boat: Pearson 422

Marina was packed today with folks preparing for the "out of proportion" Sandy. Guess they figured better to be over-prepared and laugh about it than underprepared and cry about it. Silly sailors.
Paperbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2012, 16:54   #20

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Re: Hurricane Sandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resail View Post
We are heading out from Rock Hall, MD, sailing to St. Thomas directly after the storm passes (or sooner in the unlikely event it stays out to sea up the coast). We were supposed to leave tomorrow, but now looks like Wednesday is more realistic.

Can anybody tell me what the seas will be like directly after a hurricane? I sailed from Bermuda to Tortola last year after TS Shaun, and seas were big, but this storm is bigger! Not sure what to expect?

Thanks!

Resail
First suggestion: never sail on any schedule except mother nature's -- especially when there is a hurricane involved. You, or someone, only thinks they need to be in a hurry -- in the big scheme of things you don't. Ask yourself this: Who is going to die if you don't leave soon? Who is going to die if you do? Answer: maybe you.

Still too early to accurately call exact sea state on Wednesday, but swell can be quite dramatic after a big storm. Remember storm tracks can have very large variances from forecast (See "mariner's 1-2-3 rule"). The actual track of the storm will determine wind speeds and direction which in turn will be a major determinate of sea state.

Regardless of the exact details at the time, forecast looks like it is going to be pretty sporty offshore near MD. The current GFS model output shows the eye of Sandy not far to your NE on Wednesday with winds along the coast there at 40+ knots from the WSW. And note that GFS tends to under forecast wind speeds, especially around strong systems, so odds are good that the winds may be higher. Offshore winds (like these from the WSW) may help keep the near shore sea state down a bit, but at the very least it is going to be an unpleasant ride.

Take a look at the 120 hours (...from now until Wednesday) Tropical Storm Force Wind Speed probabilities graphic on the NHC site at:

Hurricane SANDY.

It paints a pretty sobering picture for your coastal region.

I suggest you double up the dock-lines and wait until Wednesday, to see what the storm actually does, and then making the call as to when to leave based upon good solid forecast data and sea state observations (not someone's schedule concerns).
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2012, 17:02   #21

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

There sure is a lot of Ham radio activity on this one.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2012, 17:22   #22

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

Well, I'm properly freaked out...with or without the new medias help. We are anchored in the Piankatank River (Virginia), and have no idea what to expect. At least we are on the south side of this mess!

Furling sail has been stripped off, main sail, dodger and bimini will be done at first light.

Wish us luck in our first tropical storm!
Old 26-10-2012, 17:38   #23

Boat: PETERSON 44
Well prepared I have enjoyed being aboard in low category storms. I also having done that have great respect for the forces. I use multiple anchors. I kedge the lines down. Reduce wind age have bumpers/ old tires ready for others failures.
Kedge the lines because I want to lay out line. I don't want this stuff drifting all over the bed. I wrap chafe points with rags and tape. If you have. Ever seen rope burn through you'll add chafe and watch the lines. Think it through real well.
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2012, 17:51   #24

Boat: Watkins 29'

Quote:
Originally Posted by C4 King Cobra View Post
Got into Miami last night! Went thru some of it 40-50knt. Still blowin here.
Stay safe brother, you're almost there...

We are at a marina by the Great Egg inlet on the Jersey shore and preparing for the worst. Been doubling line's, stripping canvas and securing everything. Many of the models show Sandy tracking up the Delaware Bay which puts us on the wrong side of the storm. All the local towns are doing their best bull dozing the beaches to stave beach erosion, will see... This storm is the real deal.
Old 26-10-2012, 18:06   #25
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by funjohnson View Post
Well, I'm properly freaked out...with or without the new medias help. We are anchored in the Piankatank River (Virginia), and have no idea what to expect. At least we are on the south side of this mess!

Furling sail has been stripped off, main sail, dodger and bimini will be done at first light.

Wish us luck in our first tropical storm!

So far what will be the south side of this has been very dry, but there's still been plenty of wind.
Old 26-10-2012, 18:11   #26

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Ya have to remember it's always more dangerous in a marina, for your boat,then at sea in most any storm of this size! No matter if ya think it's blown up by the media!! We Know about hurrycanes here in Louisiana!! ya better believe we prepare anytime ones headed anywhere near us !! Just sayin I would rather be at sea then at a dock unprepared for a storm !!
Old 26-10-2012, 18:36   #27

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5

I really looks like it is starting to break up. Probably will never make the sharp westerly turn and keep going east to wither out.
kmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2012, 19:02   #28
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobconnie View Post
Ya have to remember it's always more dangerous in a marina, for your boat,then at sea in most any storm of this size! No matter if ya think it's blown up by the media!! We Know about hurrycanes here in Louisiana!! ya better believe we prepare anytime ones headed anywhere near us !! Just sayin I would rather be at sea then at a dock unprepared for a storm !!

I would not encourage people to take their boats out in a storm to keep it safe. Sailing skills, and in particular storm sailing skills, vary greatly.

If there's somewhere else besides a marina one can take their boat, that's good. My dad used to take his company's tugboats into the Everglades and tie them to the mangroves when hurricanes threatened.

If you have to stay in a marina, there are options. At the one I'm at now, when winds reach 35 mph, the marina is closed to all traffic. People are then free to "spiderweb" their boats -- pull them out into the fairway so they can put really long spring lines on them.

Unfortunately you're still dependent on the good judgment of others. New lines have considerably more strength than old ones, but how many people make sure they have all newer lines to secure their boats? You have your boats out there in the fairway, and if one boat breaks loose, there's going to be a lot of damage.

But I would rather lose my boat than my life. My boat is insured. That is my protection, not sailing out into a storm. I don't have the skills for it, and I hope those who make that choice are realistic about their skills.
Old 26-10-2012, 19:09   #29
cruiser

Quote:
I really looks like it is starting to break up. Probably will never make the sharp westerly turn and keep going east to wither out.

As far as I can see, you are the only person saying this. TWC believes it will grow "new legs," and that's pretty much the forecast of everyone.

"While Sandy may spend some time this weekend as a high-end tropical storm rather than a full-fledged hurricane, in no way does this lessen the danger to the Mid-Atlantic and Northeast. Nearly all computer model forecasts expect Sandy to strengthen again when it interacts with jet stream energy Sunday into Monday, as we will explain later in this story."

We all hope you're right, but it is still expected to turn into a massive storm at a lunar high tide, pushing around a lot of air and water.
Old 26-10-2012, 19:13   #30

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5

They are not about to loose their audience on this one. Too much $$$$$ at stake.
kmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hurricane