Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-08-2016, 20:13   #1

Health insurance recommendations

We are about to take off from Seattle for extended cruising (3-5 years) on our Valiant 40. I'd like to have some form of health insurance that will cover us in the event of an emergency internationally, as well as when we are back in the states for visits. We are DAN members, so we have the benefit of their evacuation service.

Past that, I have no idea where to start.

What do you recommend for health insurance? How much do you pay? Have you had any good/bad experiences with insurance?

Thank you!
Becca
bec.chandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 23:31   #2

Boat: Catalina 38'/ Tiara 33'
Re: Health insurance recommendations

Becca,

I would be happy to spend a little time reviewing your international health insurance options in more detail.

Please shoot me an email, and we can schedule a time to chat.

Blake
Blake@maxwellagency.com
MaxwellIns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 17:51   #3

Thanks Blake!

Anybody else have experience with global health insurance?

Becca
Old 03-08-2016, 18:49   #4

Boat: Nordhavn 46, 46'

There have been a number of discussions on this topic. Might want to check the liveaboard forum. Lots of threads; lots of good details.
Moody46CC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2016, 19:46   #5

Boat: Hughes 40

Does DAN cover you even if you are traveling constantly? I'm looking into it as well and the DAN fine print says the annual insurance is for trips 31 days or less in length. I'll definitely be out for more then 31 days. Thanks!
Mapdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2016, 00:38   #6

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates

we tried a couple of times to get some health insurance and will continue but our age kept getting in the way - the problem is we are over 65 and the insurance would not cover us but we will continue to try -- good luck
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2016, 15:43   #7

An update on where we are -- it turns out a friend works with expat health insurance and was able to help us out! We ended up going through IMGlobal for health insurance - they have a variety of plans based on what you want and how long you are traveling. We haven't needed to use it yet, but I was happy with the process and the pricing.

Regarding DAN -- yes, they have temporary health insurance for trips up to 31 days, which is not helpful if you are traveling longterm. But their membership is good anytime anywhere (as long as you are at least 50 miles from home) and will evacuate you to the nearest capable facility.

Hope this helps!
Old 27-10-2016, 19:11   #8

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

I'd be curious to know how some of the insurance plans compare to paying your own medical costs when traveling, as you often hear the tales of folks in far off lands having proceedures done for pennies on the dollar as compared to their cost in the US or other "Mother Countries". Thoughts?

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2016, 20:19   #9

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCIVILIZED View Post
I'd be curious to know how some of the insurance plans compare to paying your own medical costs when traveling, as you often hear the tales of folks in far off lands having proceedures done for pennies on the dollar as compared to their cost in the US or other "Mother Countries". Thoughts?
We carry health insurance and pay for our own care while cruising internationally. It is true that health care is much cheaper just about anywhere than in the US. We don't have insurance to use it as essentially prepaid medical care. The insurance is to protect our assets if something major occurs health wise. I don't want to have some health issue and leave my spouse broke, even if I am long gone. I have some friends that recently have had serious med issues. One was a heart issue where the bills, in the US, were $800,000+. The other is on a cancer drug that costs hundreds of thousands a year. Those are catastrophic things that insurance is for.

As far as the expat plans like imgGlobal go, be sure to understand the definitions and very low limitations placed on pre-existing conditions. Your definition might not match there's.
Old 28-10-2016, 00:29   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCIVILIZED View Post
We do not carry insurance - as our age seems to be getting in the way
but here are some costs outside the USA - all in US dollars
1. Admiral hand surgery for curling fingers in Colombia - 1500
2. 1/2 my nose removed and skin graft - to much sun - Trinidad - 1800
3. Repair torn shoulder tendon after it was torn working on boat - Tunisia 1600
4. Admiral hand surgery - other hand - Tunisia 1500
5. Gall bladder removed - Turkey - 10,000 and locals told me I totally over paid and got take
6. Doctor visits usually run about 10-25

we do carry medicare but that is only in usa if we ever go back
Old 28-10-2016, 00:50   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
We carry health insurance and pay for our own care while cruising internationally. It is true that health care is much cheaper just about anywhere than in the US. We don't have insurance to use it as essentially prepaid medical care. The insurance is to protect our assets if something major occurs health wise. I don't want to have some health issue and leave my spouse broke, even if I am long gone. I have some friends that recently have had serious med issues. One was a heart issue where the bills, in the US, were $800,000+. The other is on a cancer drug that costs hundreds of thousands a year. Those are catastrophic things that insurance is for.

As far as the expat plans like imgGlobal go, be sure to understand the definitions and very low limitations placed on pre-existing conditions. Your definition might not match there's.
Just looked at ImgGlobal and it is much cheaper for us to pay out of pocket - The admiral use to work in HR as a vp of benefits and joked that what is this Obamacare? - it was a joke but it seems a bit high but we are old and that is a big issue
Old 28-10-2016, 02:01   #12

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckr View Post
Just looked at ImgGlobal and it is much cheaper for us to pay out of pocket - The admiral use to work in HR as a vp of benefits and joked that what is this Obamacare? - it was a joke but it seems a bit high but we are old and that is a big issue
Thanks for sharing all that you have on this, it helps a lot. I'm kinda' glad that I asked the question. And your answers sure clarified some things for me. Hopefully others too.

A couple of months ago I was in the ER in a mid-sized city (US), & the way they juggled things & patients, it literally was like watching the action in the kitchen of a fast food place. Which had my brain trying to calculate the $ flow, going into the pockets of...

Though they did patch me up pretty well Just an old injury being cranky

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2016, 04:27   #13
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cheoy Lee, 44 Cutter. Dolce Far Niente

I have BUPA which is an international company based out of England. They are AAA rated and have excellent reputation. They were recommended by friends two of whom had the coverage for a long time and had claims for cancer that ended up running into the millions. The company paid all claims without question. I use it as catastrophic coverage with $5k deductible and my premiums are $5,000 a year with air lift, transplant and $2 million worth of coverage at age 55. And I smoke. Cheap
rourkeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2016, 07:03   #14

Location: Cayuga Lake NY - or on the boat somewhere south of there
Boat: Caliber 40

Medical costs in other countries are virtually always so much less than in the US it is worth it just to buy them a la carte when needed.

However, there is the chance of a major problem that you would want to deal with at a good hospital back in the USA. For that we do two things

1. get medical evacuation insurance from SOS
2. Keep a high deductible "catstrophic" insurance policy in place in the US

You will be out whatever the high deductible is but with any luck it will never happen but if it does then paying 5k (or whatever your deductible is) won't be your biggest problem. And if you only have a major problem every three years you are still way ahead compared to buying a "normal" insurance policy in the US. You are way way ahead of most of the options I have seen for insurance that will pay for care outside of the US.
sck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2016, 08:46   #15

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckr View Post
Just to be clear imgGlobal has nothing to do with Obamacare and is not a compliant product. That's why they can get away with their pre-existing conditions restrictions.

Tags
health, health insurance, insurance, men