Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Health, Safety & Related Gear
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-09-2016, 08:50   #16
CLOD

Boat: none
Re: Has anyone ever fallen over tethered and tried to pull themselves back in?

Robert Redford can do even while in his 70s. I know as I watched the film.
Old 07-09-2016, 08:53   #17
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Has anyone ever fallen over tethered and tried to pull themselves back in?

I've Never used a Tether.. and when the time comes that I feel I need one to move safely around deck.. I'll know that's the time to retire from the sea and set up a Yurt by the beach..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
While the 'useful idiots' of the West pay to dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 09:06   #18

Boat: Ohlson 38

Never had it happen but I've thought my way through it. I drag a line, it's a B737 cockpit escape rope, about 40' long. It has enlarged handholds, the size equivalent of a knot on the last 20'. It's made for a pilot to lower himself out a cockpit window to the ground. I keep a rope ladder tied up on the stern that I could reach if being dragged. Haven't had to use it yet but I think it would give me a chance. At 6 knots, I would have 4 seconds to grab it before the end.
Tombennin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 09:13   #19

Boat: Mirage 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombennin View Post
Never had it happen but I've thought my way through it. I drag a line, it's a B737 cockpit escape rope, about 40' long. It has enlarged handholds, the size equivalent of a knot on the last 20'. It's made for a pilot to lower himself out a cockpit window to the ground. I keep a rope ladder tied up on the stern that I could reach if being dragged. Haven't had to use it yet but I think it would give me a chance. At 6 knots, I would have 4 seconds to grab it before the end.
This has also been discussed in other threads, and some have tried it in benign conditions. As I recall the conclusion was that 4 seconds isn't enough to get your head above water and get your bearings, let alone find and grab a line.
Old 07-09-2016, 09:13   #20

Boat: Mirage 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
Robert Redford can do even while in his 70s. I know as I watched the film.
Old 07-09-2016, 09:14   #21

Boat: Adams/Davis 35ft 7in. Custom. 2007

I was singlehanding 30 years ago in the Coral sea beating to weather in a 28ft Twister with hanked on #1headsail. The breeze was freshening so I ran along the port weather deck let go the jib halyard at the mast and continued to the pulpit where I was thrown over the bow as the boat was coming up from a wave trough. I remember thinking how warm the water was!! On surfacing I put my arms up and the boat came down on top of me my hands slid up to the toerail. The bow then rose up in the air as it was hobbyhorsing and not going fast as it was luffing too. I was able to clamber on deck and crawl back along the deck to review my life. I still never wear a harness.
picklesandjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 09:15   #22
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCIVILIZED View Post
DO NOT try this tethered, even with crew onboard. As it's a good way to drown. Even if they slow the boat to 2kts & you're tethered to it, along side, you'll be lucky to survive.
There are plenty of tests by sailing magazines & similar which show as much, via their testing. Ditto on one or two CF members who've experienced it.

As to the original question. Remember what it was like when you were first learning how to waterski? Nuff said
What he said.

I test lots of stuff and I would touch this on a bet.

That said, I've been saved by my tether many, many times. This winter I was testing drogues (many types for PS Mag) in near gale conditions. I often had some of the lifelines open and I got thrown that way countless times. The problem with testing drogues is that it is difficult to hold on while recovering (perhaps normally you would wait for better weather, but that was not an option). I was also single handing. The tether did its job, letting me go no farther than the edge. I use tethers made from climbing rope, so the catch is gentle.

So make sure you have a good tether system.
Old 07-09-2016, 09:15   #23

Boat: a sailing boat

A friend of ours went overboard while tethered. He nearly drowned. His crew slept down below completely unaware and the boat dragged him for miles.

His leash was just too long.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 09:31   #24

Boat: modified Spray 56' oa

Told by a man I worked with. Two couples sailing Gulf Stream ,rough but tolerable conditions ,everybody relaxed untethered in the cockpit. Big sudden wave pooped the whole boat and now there were three. Long search but no joy.
topmast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 09:36   #25

Boat: Lagoon 380
Send a message via Skype™ to Wendi

Wow. Great information. I have wondered about this many times. It seems it would be fatal in most incidences. At least a few of you have lived to tell how you got back on board. When I was crossing the Atlantic, with almost no wind, Ellie tied a rope around her waist and went swimming. Even moving at only 2 knots it was pulling her quite hard. And suddenly there were hundreds of fish surrounding her, wanting to check out this body in the water. Good time to go fishing I suppose.
Old 07-09-2016, 09:43   #26

Boat: Colombia Cc 11.8

I have been in several situations where I needed to release from my tether under pressure if I did not have this type of shackle it would have been impossible. PS my Jack lines are set from bow to stern inside my Stroud's and my tether is under 6 feet long so I don't have to unclip and I can reach everywhere on my boat. But hopefully would be kept out of the water if swept overboard.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1473266601721.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	38.1 KB
ID:	130799  
sparrowhawk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 09:57   #27

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Try it some time under a controlled situation! If you can catch the line and hold on I'll give you a dollar! Send photos!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 10:09   #28
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
A friend of ours went overboard while tethered. He nearly drowned. His crew slept down below completely unaware and the boat dragged him for miles.

His leash was just too long.

b.
I don't use standard length tethers. They are nearly always wrong.

My short leg is shorter, and my long leg is longer.
Old 07-09-2016, 10:28   #29

Quote:
This is a pipe dream.... you will never be able to grab your rope loops and pull yourself aboard. Where did you get the idea that this would work?
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 10:49   #30

This is a well known case and been discussed before. But still a good example.

Body set adrift in liferaft - Yachting World

A man overboard on a tether. His brother, still on the boat, could not get him back aboard. He died. His brother, now alone, had to set his body adrift tied to a life raft with an EPIRB in it. Think on that scene a minute.

Even having other crew aboard may not save you. It wouldn't take long to drown being drug
along at 6 knots.
dgz3 is offline   Reply With Quote