Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Health, Safety & Related Gear
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-10-2020, 19:51   #1

Boat: Corsair F-27 trimaran
Foul weather clothing for short but overweight woman

Hi,

We have trouble finding (off-shore) foul weather clothing (both bottom and top) for my wife who is kind of short (1.57m or 5’2) but overweight (about 70kg).

Fitting guides suggest a different size when considering her height than her weight.

So I am looking for advice here:

Brands that have wider fit?
Web sites or stores? (we are in the SF Bay Area)
Post sale adjustment?

Any suggestion/idea?

Thanks
jdmuys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 20:08   #2

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124
Re: Foul weather clothing for short but overweight woman

I'm overweight myself and have the same problem. This is an underserved market for sailors.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 20:22   #3

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmuys View Post
Hi,

We have trouble finding (off-shore) foul weather clothing (both bottom and top) for my wife who is kind of short (1.57m or 5’2) but overweight (about 70kg).

Fitting guides suggest a different size when considering her height than her weight.

Post sale adjustment?

Any suggestion/idea?

Thanks
Sewing machine.
Old 04-10-2020, 16:18   #4

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Gill has a product line designed for women. If they are not suitable, you have to buy large, or XL things made for men, to get freedom of movement, and cut off or turn under sleeves and cuffs. Cutting off and hemming or turning under and hemming do not much affect their waterproofness.

If it matters to you, you can also take darts in, to give them more "shape." Use the finest needle that can cope with the layers of fabric.

Ann
Old 05-10-2020, 10:00   #5

Boat: Swan 43

Musto certainly used to offer a medium broad sizing that helped many. I know Helly currently have a ‘medium short’ sizing.
TomNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 11:36   #6

I am 5'2" and large in bust and hips. I purchased a Gill Mens foul weather jacket in a large and it is perfect. Nice and long but doesn't bind my legs. Gives me a little extra room for a sweater. Though the Gill is heavy and thick itself, which I prefer (sailing in colder climes). Great hood. Heavy duty zipper. Beautiful Red! Also, it has been my experience that for outer wear, mens' clothing is always made better, higher quality than gear for women.

Quote:
Hi,

Post sale adjustment?

Any suggestion/idea?

Thanks
Old 05-10-2020, 13:14   #7

Boat: Montgomery 23

Quote:
Hi,

Post sale adjustment?

Any suggestion/idea?

Thanks
Grunden. The commercial gear. Forget the 'breathable' stuff.
rmlarson1098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 19:57   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
Gill has a product line designed for women. If they are not suitable, you have to buy large, or XL things made for men, to get freedom of movement, and cut off or turn under sleeves and cuffs. Cutting off and hemming or turning under and hemming do not much affect their waterproofness.

If it matters to you, you can also take darts in, to give them more "shape." Use the finest needle that can cope with the layers of fabric.

Ann
You can also get seam sealing tapes that are applied over the seam after stitching. If you look at a Gore-Tex garment, they are typically seam sealed. (it is a requirement for using the Gore-Tex brand name). You also see this seam sealing in tents.

You could buy a man's size gear for cheaper than buying the material (ask me how I know) and tailor it to fit your needs for a modest cost. The trick would be the seam construction and treatment so the modifications don't leak.

I'd suggest contacting REI and having a conversation with someone in their corporate offices. They could hook you up. As another post said this is an underserved market. They might have an interest in filling that niche. The REI company is like a co-op basically owned and operated by members and run by an everchanging board of outdoor enthusiasts. The everchanging part is a good thing. It keeps the product and stores fresh and in-touch

If REI isn't directly interested, they would be able to direct you to some small companies or mom and pop operations who would be willing to make something custom for you.

In the 90's I wanted a down sleeping bag that I didn't have to get out of in the middle of the night or immediately in the morning. I drew up what I wanted and sent it off to several small US based manufacturers. Feathered Friends made it up for a reasonable cost. I got exactly what I wanted. Super quality. The real bonus is that it is perfect for night watches on the boat since it is a cross between a parka and a sleeping bag. I love that bag!
StoneCrab is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
clothing, weather