Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-12-2011, 07:34   #1

Boat: Gib sea 43
Dinghy security - best methods?

Having cruised in remote, mostly uninhabited places, im not up to speed with dinghy security while at anchor and going ashore, thinking of the med and Caribbean to name a couple.

So what methods do most cruisers use to secure the dingy while at anchor and while going ashore?

My (new to me yacht) has no davits and i think i wont fit them , preferring to store on deck or leave the dinghy chained at the transom (with the engine removed and securely locked with one of those very thick motorcycle chains).

Any suggestions?
stevensuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2011, 07:56   #2

Re: Dinghy security - best methods?

Have a bigger better lock/chain than the boat next to you

We used to run a cable looped through the outboard and under the thwarts and through a U bolt in the bow and padlocked to the cleat/pontoon, never had a problem in 7 years despite several boats around us going "missing".
Artif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2011, 08:11   #3
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevensuf View Post
Having cruised in remote, mostly uninhabited places, im not up to speed with dinghy security while at anchor and going ashore, thinking of the med and Caribbean to name a couple.

So what methods do most cruisers use to secure the dingy while at anchor and while going ashore?

My (new to me yacht) has no davits and i think i wont fit them , preferring to store on deck or leave the dinghy chained at the transom (with the engine removed and securely locked with one of those very thick motorcycle chains).

Any suggestions?

I have friends who just had their dinghy (and outboard) stolen while anchored in Sarasota Bay. They have davits but didn't bother to use them. The dinghy was quietly untied from their stern while they were asleep. I bet if the dinghy had been on the davits it wouldn't have been taken. You could also add chain and lock to a davit. I bet you could even rig an alarm pretty cheaply.

Here's my problem: my outboard is a 6 hp 4-stroke. It's not MONUMENTALLY heavy, but more than I can handle by myself, and I typically sail with women friends who don't have tons of experience either. so last time I went out, I towed the dinghy with the outboard on it. Not the best, I know, but I knew we could not get the dinghy off the stern mount and onto the dinghy by ourseslves.

I'm wondering if there isn't some kind of system I could set up with blocks to lower the motor down to the dinghy, and raise it up again? Can't have it too expensive because I have other more pressing financial obligations regarding the main boat, the one with the cool mast and all the flapping fabric ...

It would be REALLY cool if we could then use something to ... I don't know, raise the dinghy vertically against the stern? There really isn't a place I would be satisfied with on the bow.

I would still prefer to tow it, I think, because otherwise it would block the ladder, which we might need in an emergency if someone went overboard. But right now I have no way to secure either the motor or the dinghy. As I think about it, ideally it would be on the starboard side of the stern, and we could use it to put the motor largely out of sight.

Hmmmm....
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2011, 08:16   #4

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman

We had a thin 4 metre length of plastic coated wire made up with a small looped swage on one end and a bigger loop swaged at the other, and a padlock. When the dinghy was left alongside the boat or a dock, we'd feed the small swaged end through a cleat or fitting, then through the big swage, and take the small swage back via the fuel tank handle so we could padlock it as well as the engine screw toggles, all together.
As it happens we once had the dinghy gone over in the Carib, and all they managed to steal was the fuel pipe!
I'd also suggest you make up a three or four point rope bridle for the dinghy so you can lift it whilst it hangs level with with the engine attached - using a headsail halyard. All the superyachts do it as matter of course at night.
Its not hard rig up the bridle with a little trial and error to get the rope lengths and position of the lifting loop just right. We left our bridle tied on the floor and transom of the dinghy full time.
Have to admit we lifted our 3 metre RIB plus 6 hp easily as we had electric winches, but it doesn't have to be lifted so as to go right on the foredeck. Just right up to deck foredeck level which most could handle manually with a winch and handle. Off the water definately deters the keenest thieves and also keep the bottom clean!
Enjoy
JOHN
Old 28-12-2011, 08:30   #5

Boat: S2 11.0A 36'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames

I'm wondering if there isn't some kind of system I could set up with blocks to lower the motor down to the dinghy, and raise it up again? Can't have it too expensive because I have other more pressing financial obligations regarding the main boat, the one with the cool mast and all the flapping fabric ...

It would be REALLY cool if we could then use something to ... I don't know, raise the dinghy vertically against the stern? There really isn't a place I would be satisfied with on the bow.

Hmmmm....
I have a removable crane that can mount in two places on the boat.
http://www.davit.com/remcranes.html

If that isn't feasible what about using the boom vang or custom set up? I've seen a few threads here on this subject. i would think the investment if any using the boom would be negligible.

This is also good as a MOB solution if they can't climb for some reason. SC
sailcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2011, 09:18   #6
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailcruiser View Post
I have a removable crane that can mount in two places on the boat.
Removable Cranes

If that isn't feasible what about using the boom vang or custom set up? I've seen a few threads here on this subject. i would think the investment if any using the boom would be negligible.

This is also good as a MOB solution if they can't climb for some reason. SC

Thank you -- I've already sent an inquiry to the company based on your post.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2011, 09:34   #7

Boat: S2 11.0A 36'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames

Thank you -- I've already sent an inquiry to the company based on your post.
There are many options. An outboard motor harness makes life much easier too either pre made or DIY:
http://www.amazon.com/Motor-Caddy-Ou.../dp/B001447NTC
http://www.swing-lift.com/index.php?...ur_own_harness

To the OP: mark the dinghy with info (not necessarily boat name) or paint it an obnoxious color. Same with the motor. Keep it out of the water at night using the boom or davits. Big chain and locks help but a determined thief will take it somehow with enough time and tools. SC
sailcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2011, 10:05   #8

Boat: 40' Silverton Aftcabin with twin Crusaders

I installed a davit crane my bow that operates from 120vac from my generator. My Avon RIB10 along with my 8HP outboard, fuel tank, oars, and whatever else in the dinghy rests in aluminum chocks I made in my basement and then had them welded.

It takes less than 5 minutes to either lift the dinghy with everything attached from its chocks and lower it to the water or to go the other way around. Yes, pricey but I purchased the crane used from Sailorman in Fort Lauderdale, FL, that made it affordable. A davit crane of any type provides great help to alleviating dinghy storage pain.

Foggy
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2011, 10:24   #9

Boat: Roaring Girl: Maxi 120 ketch, 12 long

If the engine is your biggest problem,then maybe a smaller engine? We have a 2.3hp and it is both easy enough for either of us (both women) to manage, and not very interesting to thieves.

We have a very high freeboard, so we tie a rope on it and lower/raise it by hand. We have a mizzen so could use that but don't bother - alternatively you could lower off the main boom.

We do have a hard chine dinghy which sails and rows as well so maybe we are less bothered, but the dinghy itself weighs (without engine) about 95lb. We haul her up on the davits for security but don't bother (sailing so far in the UK, Atlantic Spain and Portugal, Western Med including Morocco) to lock her onto the davits as well. We do lock the outboard either to the dinghy or the main vessel but only with a small deterrent chain.

Good friends without davits simply always hauled their dinghy up amidships with a halyard line as described. You can leave the engine locked on then, and strength is less of an issue. I would resist towing your boat with its engine on - it would be cheaper to buy a good electric winch in a convenient spot.

HTH
Roaring Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2011, 10:55   #10
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevensuf

Any suggestions?
I encourage you to go ahead with your plan not to secure your dink on davits. That way, the thieves will steal yours and leave mine alone. The more people leave their boats in the water overnight, the safer mine becomes.
Old 28-12-2011, 11:00   #11

Boat: Gib sea 43

i planned to remove the engine and chain with heavy duty chain also to chain dink at transom or chain the dinghy on deck, i think this would be much harder to steal than from davits
stevensuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2011, 11:01   #12

Davits are the best thing going for when it's at the boat... if your boat is big enough. They are super handy for everything but long offshore passages too. (90% of the time) They also allow you to get out of an anchorage when you get a bad blow from the wrong direction in the middle of the night without having to even worry about the dingy, etc.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2011, 11:04   #13
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

locks locks and more locks. lift dinghy while sleeping and make sure is locked to boat. someplaces there isnt problem until darknessfalls.. good luck.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2011, 11:45   #14

Boat: 58 Taswell AS

Plastic coated wire is useless as it can be easily cut with a Leatherman tool. I use "Krytonite" cables to secure dinghy and motor together and tie to a tree when I beach or dock the dinghy. The cables are available at any hardware or motorcycle shop. I also lift the dinghy out of the water with a halyard at night. That being said , I had one nice Honda outboard stolen once. The guy broke into the boat and used my tools to take the engine apart.
speciald@ocens. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2011, 15:05   #15

Boat: a sailing boat

We only secured the dink in Cabo Verde. Elsewhere it was relatively safe, at times completely safe, to leave it at the beach.

I think a length of chain and a good padlock will go a long way towards making semi-sure your dinghy stays with you, should local conditions dictate such a measure.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dinghy, security