Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-12-2011, 15:26   #16
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'
Re: Dinghy security - best methods?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailcruiser View Post
There are many options. An outboard motor harness makes life much easier too either pre made or DIY:
Amazon.com: Motor Caddy Outboard Hoist Harness: Sports & Outdoors
Do-It-Yourself Outboard Motor Harness

To the OP: mark the dinghy with info (not necessarily boat name) or paint it an obnoxious color. Same with the motor. Keep it out of the water at night using the boom or davits. Big chain and locks help but a determined thief will take it somehow with enough time and tools. SC

Thank you! I just went to Amazon and went ahead and ordered the harness. It looked very well designed for its purpose.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2011, 20:01   #17

No one wants to steal a hard dinghy with no outboard. All your dinghies make much nicer targets.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2011, 02:49   #18
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
No one wants to steal a hard dinghy with no outboard. All your dinghies make much nicer targets.
This has been unlocked for a number of years, including the oars

The secret? Be somewhere civilised (and have a crappy looking dink, with plenty of mud inside ).

BTW I built that ladder - I only use it to go up when the tide is in, so I have half a chance of a soft landing .
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2011, 03:16   #19

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
This has been unlocked for a number of years, including the oars

The secret? Be somewhere civilised (and have a crappy looking dink, with plenty of mud inside ).

BTW I built that ladder - I only use it to go up when the tide is in, so I have half a chance of a soft landing .
Where's the dingyy for that one, I thought your boat might have been a bit bigger than that one,
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2011, 03:20   #20
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr B View Post
Where's the dingyy for that one, I thought your boat might have been a bit bigger than that one,
It was bought using the collected wisdom of CF - See my thread "Which boat is best for going around Cape Horn?".
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2011, 03:30   #21

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
It was bought using the collected wisdom of CF - See my thread "Which boat is best for going around Cape Horn?".
Make sure you tie the oars into the row locks tightly,
You need a good anchor also, for those over night stops,
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2011, 03:43   #22
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Dinghy security - best methods?

Attatched with a long chain... to a Pit Bull at the other end..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2011, 04:49   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
Here's my problem: my outboard is a 6 hp 4-stroke. It's not MONUMENTALLY heavy, but more than I can handle by myself, and I typically sail with women friends who don't have tons of experience either. so last time I went out, I towed the dinghy with the outboard on it. Not the best, I know, but I knew we could not get the dinghy off the stern mount and onto the dinghy by ourseslves.
We had the same problem. Our davits have been beefed up; manufactured from 2-1/2" SS tubing, and have the ability to carry our 10' Avon with the 15HP 2 stroke mounted (about 400lbs). A couple of Harken winches lift/lower the dink's stern and bow independently. We use a hardened cable/lock to secure the outboard and dink to the davits. We can drop it in the water within 1 minute and hoist it up in 3, and ready to go, immediately. One bonus is that I can work on the engine et al while it's on the davits.
We're not really concerned about security while attached to the boat, but more while at shore. While our engine has a "keyed" ignition, we use a cable lock to secure it to a dock when on shore. There probably is a better method?

Seahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2011, 12:04   #24
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post

i have watched as beautiful rowing hard dinks have been relocated for theft--- and aided in the cessation of those particular thefts..... yes, DO lock your hard dinghies as well as the inflatable ones.
mebbe in the usa there is less thieving of hard dinks, but in the real world, there is much indiscriminate thieving in progress.....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2011, 14:19   #25

Boat: Schucker mini-trawler
Send a message via AIM to janice142 Send a message via MSN to janice142 Send a message via Yahoo to janice142 Send a message via Skype™ to janice142

I had been lifting my hard dink to the swim platform but reconsidered when I realized the dinghy transom prevented me from deploying the swim ladder from the water. Now the dink isn't as secure for theft but I am able to re-board the boat without assistance -- and that's more critical in my view.

Just tossing that out for your consideration as you decide how best to protect your dinghy.....
janice142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2011, 16:30   #26

Boat: Haida 26', 18' Sea Kayak, 15' kayak, 6.5' skiff, shorts

I just use an ugly hard dink. No problems here, there, or anywhere, anytime.
tager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 09:38   #27

On another forum I read, the popular thouht was to paint the dinghy and outboard several different of the most clashing colors you can find. Bottom line is; make it as ugly as you can. No one wants an ugly dinghy. Of course I'll admit I think I personally prefer good chain and locks.
Daddy's Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 10:19   #28

Boat: Cartwright 36 Cutter
Send a message via Skype™ to SVTwilight

If you are serious about security I would suggest the following:

1) ALWAYS keep the tender on deck at night and chained to something stout. Mine is an AL rib, 9.5' and at only 40 kilos is easily lifted in a harness by a 2.5m pole clipped to me mast with a topping lift and 4 to 1 block and tackle. (As a bonus I don't have to put bottom paint on my rib. At night flake the chain (see below) on the deck. It is almost impossible to lift or move chain around on a deck without it making substantial noise down below that will alert you to any shennanigans.
2) Ashore, always keep it locked to something secure.
3) Remember, no method is 100%, but the longer it takes to defeat what you have in place, the more likely you can keep your dinghy around.
4) Cable, Krypotonite locks and galv. chain are all just minor deterrents. With 2 beers and a hacksaw and a bic pen I can defeat them all before you get back from your ice run. Yes, I drink the beers fast.
5) Stainless steel chain is the only cable worth using. At least 5/16, so it takes longer to cut through and can accommodate as thick a hardened lock shackle as you can find. This is a painful expense, but I found a place in the US that has amazingly low prices on SS chain ($6/ft for 5/16) and in my short time using it appears to be good quality: 1st-ChainSupply.com. Get a length 3-4 feet longer than your dinghy.
6) You'll need two locks, one at the transom or outboard end and one to secure it to whatever fixture you want. I have an Aluminum rib with a perforated stringer in the stern so locking the engine and boat and running the chain through the fuel tank handle is easy. Take the kill cord and fuel tank line with you when you go to shore....
7) As others have indicated here you want to make yours less of a target than others, or to be nicer about it; just make yours less of a target.

Fair Winds,

Todd
SVTwilight is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dinghy, security