Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-12-2012, 13:05   #16

Re: Coast Guard War With Smgglers in So. Cal

Quote:
Originally Posted by salticrak View Post
I have been watching an excellent show on the the telly called Miss Hit, now there is one tranny that could leave yer a bit confused D.O.J if not cold stone dead. great show.
It's called Hit and Miss I apologize for my part in getting this thread SO FAR off an important topic.
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 14:08   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

Legalizing it would drop the price so much that it would not make it worthwhile for the cartels to bother. Is there any money in smuggling something that is legal? Crimes associated with stealing to get drug money would also fall dramatically. The cost of drug related law enforcement, which only reduces the flow of drugs slightly, would come to an end. Numerous costs to society related to drugs would either drop dramatically or go away. I'm afraid government would not get much tax money with a pot plant being worth roughly the same as a head of lettuce, if that, if people can grow it in their back yards for almost nothing.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 14:26   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
Legalizing it would drop the price so much that it would not make it worthwhile for the cartels to bother. Is there any money in smuggling something that is legal? Crimes associated with stealing to get drug money would also fall dramatically. The cost of drug related law enforcement, which only reduces the flow of drugs slightly, would come to an end. Numerous costs to society related to drugs would either drop dramatically or go away. I'm afraid government would not get much tax money with a pot plant being worth roughly the same as a head of lettuce, if that, if people can grow it in their back yards for almost nothing.
Yeah, but in WA it's still illegal to buy seeds, illegal to grow on and on. MOST people don't grow their own lettuce. A single plant can yield 2 pounds of Marijuana and the law allows possession of one OUNCE.

There's also a pretty good argument that a TON of jobs go away on the enforcement side

I agree that the goal should be just another crop but we ain't there yet by a long shot.
Old 10-12-2012, 14:38   #19

Boat: 1989 50 ft Roberts

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
Here in WA state we just did exactly that.
So whats to stop a fine young mexican lad from loading his boat up with a few bales of his best weed and sailing it to WA to pay his taxes and sell his goods. Its legal now aint it?
Matt sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 15:21   #20

Boat: no longer on my Cabo Rico 38 Sanderling
Send a message via MSN to John A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt sachs View Post
So whats to stop a fine young mexican lad from loading his boat up with a few bales of his best weed and sailing it to WA to pay his taxes and sell his goods. Its legal now aint it?
You ever tried to move a boat from Mexico to the PNW???? Most sane people sail to Hawaii as their first waypoint.
John A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 15:26   #21

Boat: 1989 50 ft Roberts
Re: Coast Guard War With Smugglers in So. Cal

Nope, never have. Ok, motoring it to the PNW.
Matt sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 16:13   #22

Boat: no longer on my Cabo Rico 38 Sanderling
Send a message via MSN to John A

Quote:
Nope, never have. Ok, motoring it to the PNW.
Still a dumb idea. going uphill on the Left side is difficult at best.

Besides, go back and read the attachment in the post that started this thread. The GC delights in chasing people with pot.

To be legal in Washington, where I live, you're going to need to wait until State run pot stores are opened and growers contract with the State to supply the stores. Growers will be licensed with the state, fees and taxes at every step of the way. States still decide what's legal and what's not. The only thing now legal is posession of an ounce of pot.

Be aware that records can be kept of how much pot you buy over a period of time. It's still a controlled substance, and the State is going to be in control more than ever.

This is just one more example of we the people creating an idea and getting a petition and voting on something without thinking the process through.
John A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 16:49   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
You're ideally suited for unicorn wrangling down at the Rainbow ranch.

When it comes to criminal money-making there is no limit. Legalization will not result in this paradigm shift people hope and dream of. It will likely be same old thang but with different players on the "legal" side with the criminal side still intact. Basically a rule change. Don't believe the players won't adapt to expose every little loophole and opportunity.
Richard5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 01:17   #24
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by xymotic View Post
There's also a pretty good argument that a TON of jobs go away on the enforcement side
Yup . More money made on the legal side of the recreational drugs industry than in the illegal side - which is one of the things that prevents a rational (pragmatic!) approach to them. Same with any other "War on".

A chicken and egg thing, gonna have to wait until "Big Pot" starts paying for lobbyists and donations.

Obviously legalisation ain't gonna solve everything - but the approach should be about harm reduction to a society not for the individual (free will is a bitch - if folks are dumb enough to get addicted, including "your" kids , then that's simply Mr Darwin in action)..........so, just seems plain common sense to at least remove pot as an entry level product from hard drug dealers. Works with Tobacco and Booze. and Chocolate .

On harder drugs I favour simply medicalising the problem, opiates on prescription . A damn sight cheaper than chasing after, then processing (ad nauseum ) and then locking up folks - let the problem folks come to pappa and remove the (best) repeat customers from the illegal drugs market. Party drugs? Who cares? , for those who go OTT (ability to cope personally / financially) their is then always free Heroin - accept no substitutes .

But I suspect I have gone a little off topic.........
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 04:44   #25

Boat: O'Day 28

[QUOTE=John A;1104388]Still a dumb idea. going uphill on the Left side is difficult at best.

Besides, go back and read the attachment in the post that started this thread. The GC delights in chasing people with pot.

To be legal in Washington, where I live, you're going to need to wait until State run pot stores are opened and growers contract with the State to supply the stores. Growers will be licensed with the state, fees and taxes at every step of the way. States still decide what's legal and what's not. The only thing now legal is posession of an ounce of pot.

Be aware that records can be kept of how much pot you buy over a period of time. It's still a controlled substance, and the State is going to be in control more than ever.

This is just one more example of we the people creating an idea and getting a petition and voting on something without thinking the process through.[/QUOTE]

Not for long. I think the Feds will strike back. Tough to give up authority (and funding). Consider Arizona's squabbles. New talk of sucession. Continuing water issues. Shale oil. Dream Acts. "Entitlements" ...

The war FOR state's rights is in the skirmish stage. Since it's our own people, I hope nukes, lasers, chems, and bugs are out. That leaves boots on the ground. Coming soon to a community near you.

Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:14   #26

Quote:
As long as he moves it one ounce at a time! And selling it is still illegal.
Old 11-12-2012, 07:42   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard5 View Post
You're ideally suited for unicorn wrangling down at the Rainbow ranch.

When it comes to criminal money-making there is no limit. Legalization will not result in this paradigm shift people hope and dream of. It will likely be same old thang but with different players on the "legal" side with the criminal side still intact. Basically a rule change. Don't believe the players won't adapt to expose every little loophole and opportunity.
Dramatically increase the supply with the same demand and the price drops significantly. That is ECON 101 in a nutshell.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 10:04   #28

25 suspected illegal immigrants detained after panga is intercepted off Rancho Palos Verdes - The Daily Breeze

Because it's all about pot.
Richard5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 10:29   #29

Boat: O'Day 28

[QUOTE=Richard5;1104821]25 suspected illegal immigrants detained after panga is intercepted off Rancho Palos Verdes - The Daily Breeze QUOTE]

I saw that citation from the Daily Breeze, my hometown paper. But look at the other news column on the left. Wow. I was a tad homesick until I read that. I headed out of Cal after college and never looked back. Too many people too close together for me back in the 60s.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 11:01   #30

Boat: wharram tiki 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
Yup . More money made on the legal side of the recreational drugs industry than in the illegal side - which is one of the things that prevents a rational (pragmatic!) approach to them. Same with any other "War on".

A chicken and egg thing, gonna have to wait until "Big Pot" starts paying for lobbyists and donations.

Obviously legalisation ain't gonna solve everything - but the approach should be about harm reduction to a society not for the individual (free will is a bitch - if folks are dumb enough to get addicted, including "your" kids , then that's simply Mr Darwin in action)..........so, just seems plain common sense to at least remove pot as an entry level product from hard drug dealers. Works with Tobacco and Booze. and Chocolate .

On harder drugs I favour simply medicalising the problem, opiates on prescription . A damn sight cheaper than chasing after, then processing (ad nauseum ) and then locking up folks - let the problem folks come to pappa and remove the (best) repeat customers from the illegal drugs market. Party drugs? Who cares? , for those who go OTT (ability to cope personally / financially) their is then always free Heroin - accept no substitutes .

But I suspect I have gone a little off topic.........
I suspect we are kindred spirits here. In Australia at the moment you are getting kids ordering drugs on line from places on the dark net, you simply cannot stop people frying their brains with legislation. I wonder what the % of people in American prisons are there for drug offences. Surely medical intervention would be cheaper.And another thing is the sailing community probably would not get the third degree while going thru customs and immi.
salticrak is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cal