Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-06-2012, 09:18   #31

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825
Re: Auto or manual inflating PFD?

Learning to sail my 14 foot Paper Tiger, I have been smacked in the head by the boom a few times,
Make no doubt about it, It Bloody hurts, and getting knocked out by it is a very real possibilty,
Getting hit by the boom on my Gemini, I dont even want to think about it,
It has a lot more power in it than my little beach cat,

I keep my whole body clear of the Gemini boom, My life line runs from one end of the boom to the mast,
It has picked me up bodily and threw me across the deck, It is on a a very short tether, so I didnt get injured,

But it has the potential to actually crack my skull open very easily, If it hit me,

It would be the same as getting hit in the head with a sledge hammer.
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2012, 12:23   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr B View Post
My life line runs from one end of the boom to the mast,
It has picked me up bodily and threw me across the deck...
Are you saying that your harness is hooked to a line that runs along the boom, and therefore swings back and forth across the boat when the boom moves?

No offense, but if that's your arrangement, that just sounds CRAZY to me! I want to be attached to the deck, not to the boom.
denverd0n is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2012, 15:58   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
Are you saying that your harness is hooked to a line that runs along the boom, and therefore swings back and forth across the boat when the boom moves?

No offense, but if that's your arrangement, that just sounds CRAZY to me! I want to be attached to the deck, not to the boom.
Trial and error, New unfamiliar boat, The deck doesnt have any thing I can run a line from or across, Safely,

The boom is now fixed, it doesnt go any where,

Its all a learning experience,
Its better than going over the side, Big waves, middle of the night, Single handed, The sails have to be trimmed, I can only do that from the front of the boat, I am still learning at the time to actually get the main up and down,
No offence taken,
Old 20-06-2012, 08:49   #34

The boom is fixed and you can only trim sails from the front of the boat. I am very confused. But hey! If it's working for you then I guess that's all that matters.
Old 20-06-2012, 10:15   #35

I'm dying to see a pic of that boat!
Jbaffoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2012, 18:51   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
The boom is fixed and you can only trim sails from the front of the boat. I am very confused. But hey! If it's working for you then I guess that's all that matters.
Main sail is put up and down from the bottom of the mast,
thats at the front of the boat,
Its a manual winder,

Genoa is operated from the cockpit, So I dont have to go on deck for that one,

I set the boom to where I want it, its being held one way by the pulley blocks and wind,
Then I tie another rope to a mooring cleat, It holds the boom in one place, it cant swing sideways,

When your travelling across an ocean in one direction, there is no tacking involved,

Its set and forget,

I may go two or three days in the same direction, So the boom stays in one place,

The main just goes up and down, depending on the wind strength,

From what I gather on here,
If I was in a protected area like the Chesapeake and ICW, Or close to land any where.

Tying the boom stationary in one place would not be possible,
Old 20-06-2012, 19:07   #37

Set and forget? Interesting.

No variations in wind strength or direction that require changes in mainsail trim?

No course adjustments for set & drift?

Wow.
Old 21-06-2012, 04:16   #38

Boat: Swan 56

The manual inflates are getting bad press in this thread, so I thought I'd pitch in with a big plus that they have - particularly in warm climates where you are rarely in clumbersome wet weather gear.

If you go into the water with a manual inflate, you have the choice not to inflate it. You will be in far better position to aid your own rescue because you will be able to swim to a horseshoe, to a thrown rope, to the back or to the side of the boat. Being in the water with an inflated lifejacket pretty much immobilizes you and makes it much more difficult for those left on board to get you back.
bewitched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2012, 05:52   #39

I don't see manual inflatables getting "bad press." Some people have expressed their reasons for preferring manual, and others have expressed their reasons for preferring automatic. I, personally, come down on the side of automatic, but if you prefer manual then that is clearly your prerogative and I wouldn't criticize the decision.

A preference for automatic inflatables does seem to be in the majority, but no one has said anything like "choosing a manual inflatable is a really bad idea." And I would point out that this is NOT a case where majority rules. It is a very personal choice, that only you can (or should) make for yourself.

Again, you pays your money and makes your choice.
Old 21-06-2012, 07:10   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by bewitched
The manual inflates are getting bad press in this thread, so I thought I'd pitch in with a big plus that they have - particularly in warm climates where you are rarely in clumbersome wet weather gear.

If you go into the water with a manual inflate, you have the choice not to inflate it. You will be in far better position to aid your own rescue because you will be able to swim to a horseshoe, to a thrown rope, to the back or to the side of the boat. Being in the water with an inflated lifejacket pretty much immobilizes you and makes it much more difficult for those left on board to get you back.
Auto inflatable are easy to deflate when not needed, and one is NOT immobilized! It's very easy to swim on your back in an inflated vest.
Old 21-06-2012, 10:39   #41
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Let me translate:

Main sail is put up and down from the bottom of the mast, thats at the front of the boat, Its a manual winder,

The main is hoisted via reel halyard (or standard winch) at the mast.

Genoa is operated from the cockpit, So I dont have to go on deck for that one,

There is a jib/genoa halyard winch on the cabin top at the cockpit so don't have to go forward to hoist it.

I set the boom to where I want it, its being held one way by the pulley blocks and wind, Then I tie another rope to a mooring cleat, It holds the boom in one place, it cant swing sideways,

I trim the main then use a spare line as a preventer using a cleat in the cockpit. That triangulates the boom sheeting and fixes it in position.

When your travelling across an ocean in one direction, there is no tacking involved,
Its set and forget, I may go two or three days in the same direction, So the boom stays in one place,

Sailing offshore, you may go days without needing to jibe, tack or even adjust sails so a preventer is not a bother.

The main just goes up and down, depending on the wind strength,

Just reef or shake out the reef on the main as the wind dictates.

From what I gather on here, If I was in a protected area like the Chesapeake and ICW, Or close to land any where. Tying the boom stationary in one place would not be possible,

Coastal sailing has more variable winds and course changes so a preventer would require constant adjsutment and may not be practical or to much bother.

Don't mean to demean Mr. B. but he being from where they are always upside down (Oz), couldn't resist playing with his prose.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2012, 16:11   #42

Boat: Swan 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbaffoh View Post
It's very easy to swim on your back in an inflated vest.
Really - is that your experience?? Every time I do my SOLAS course, I come away with completely the opposite impression.

What I was trying to get across in my post was that just because you are wearing a pfd when you go in the water, it doesn't mean that you have to inflate it. Most people can swim very well if not encumbered with wet weather gear and they will remain much more mobile in the water.
bewitched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2012, 16:26   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by bewitched

Really - is that your experience?? Every time I do my SOLAS course, I come away with completely the opposite impression.

What I was trying to get across in my post was that just because you are wearing a pfd when you go in the water, it doesn't mean that you have to inflate it. Most people can swim very well if not encumbered with wet weather gear and they will remain much more mobile in the water.
Yes, that is my experience. That's been my experience with dozens of hours in the water with various PFD's, dozens of hours in survival suits with inflatable collars, and hundreds of hours in scuba buoyancy compensators.

I think the point MOST people make, is that you want that pfd to inflate WHEN YOU NEED IT, AND YOU CAN'T DO IT YOURSELF! If you don't need it, then deflate it! It takes what?--10-15 seconds?

Tags
pfd