Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Navigation
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-12-2016, 04:11   #16

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Re: What warranty to have manufacturer or West?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramblinrod View Post
In almost all cases, the real warranty is provided by the manufacturer, and the retailer extends the manufacturer's warranty. In the case of extended warranties (beyond what the manufacturer offers) these are usually just insurance policies. Insurance companies make money, by paying out less in claims than they take in.

Before considering any extended warranty, look into the actual warranty of the manufacturer. For example, for Raymarine products, most come with a 2 year warranty (mail in), or 3 years if you register on-line. If you have the equipment installed by a Raymarine certified installer, you can get the installation certified for "on-board" warranty, that will be honoured anywhere there is a Raymarine certified installer (check details for some restrictions).

If you are getting the equipment professionally installed, see if the installer offers an "on-board" warranty. This can save a bundle of hassle, if your boat remains in or frequently returns within their service territory.
And as with any insurance policy, read the fine print. Insurance policies are carefully designed to minimize claims.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 12:16   #17

Tx to everyone who responded. All of your sage advise is of great benefit to me.
BTW: I am a cruiser not a sailer. My boat is a Mainship 31 Sedan Bridge with two 300 hp Marine gasoline engines. I only draft 2.5 feet so depth is out an issue.
T.
teveau169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 15:06   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by teveau169 View Post
Tx to everyone who responded. All of your sage advise is of great benefit to me.
BTW: I am a cruiser not a sailer. My boat is a Mainship 31 Sedan Bridge with two 300 hp Marine gasoline engines. I only draft 2.5 feet so depth is out an issue.
T.
Power or sail...warranty issues in remote ports are still the same.
Old 08-12-2016, 10:38   #19

Even when the vendor pays shipping both ways internationally, you're not home free. I had to replace boards in an Outback inverter. They sent the boards and a prepaid return shipping label. It took several weeks to get Fedex to pick up the box without a stack of additional paperwork. No matter how good the vendor, it's going to be slower and more expensive that you'd like.
svinshallah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 11:22   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by svinshallah View Post
Even when the vendor pays shipping both ways internationally, you're not home free. I had to replace boards in an Outback inverter. They sent the boards and a prepaid return shipping label. It took several weeks to get Fedex to pick up the box without a stack of additional paperwork. No matter how good the vendor, it's going to be slower and more expensive that you'd like.
Yep, had a vendor FEDEX freebie replacement parts to me in Belize once. Hit Belize City in a matter of days. Took me 2 weeks to actually get the parts in hand.