Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Navigation
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-02-2017, 07:49   #1

Boat: Chrysler 26, swing keel
Using backup copy of GarminBlueChart g2 Vision Card?

Hello all.

I've learned a lot, reading through countless forums here on SO MANY subjects. Thanks to all who have posted in so many threads! =D

I have a question:

We're planning a San Juan trip (Spent two weeks island hopping there about 10 years ago in a little 21' boat.), later this summer and have the Garmin SD card for the area that includes the Canadian waters we're hoping to sail/motor through.

We have a Garmin 640 Map GPS using this SD card in Home Port on my desktop and have been using it for planning. (GREAT detail when zoomed in!)

I copied the original Garmin SD card onto a thumb drive as a backup and tried to use it in Home port but get nothing on our home PC... (When I've used the original SD card, I seem to recall that Home Port found the data automatically?) Is there something I'm missing? Something I need to do in Home Port so that it knows that the SD card copy is there to extract the data?

It also dawned on me that if the 640 stops working, I could then install the original SD card or backup thumb drice if the original gets fried), into one of our laptops and use it like a paper chart using dead reckoning to navigate. (I've been looking into laptop programs to use the laptop as our GPS/plotter, but I'm not very computer literate.)

I have a long history of coastal sailing (way before GPS!), and the only electronic navigation device on my boat at the time was a RD finder (used successfully once in the fog to get back home). Totally comfortable using paper charts and DR.

We have all the paper charts for the San Juan islands, but searching for charts to get from Sidney to Buchart Gardens... All I've found so far were no where near as detailed as the close up views on the Garmin SD card. It would be great to be able to use the card (and/or copy), in our laptops as a backup "chart" source.

Can anyone tell me how to successfully create a copy of our Garmin SD card and how to use it in Home Port? (When I search the desktop, it recognizes that the data is there in the thumb drive but when I go to Home Port, all I get is "basic map".)

Thanks!

Richard
Jarel Design is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2017, 08:05   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Re: Using backup copy of GarminBlueChart g2 Vision Card?

Richard, when I wanted to update my Garmin software the brand new card I tried to use wasn't recognised. Turned out that I needed to install the new card into the chart plotter which then wrote a file to the card. Then take the card home to the PC and download the update. Then back to the boat and finally install it. I think you the extra file on the thumb drive before the software lets you play. Guess its Garmins way of trying to stop users copying software.

This is what I ended up with:

[/URL]
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2017, 08:14   #3

Thanks Pete!

Quote: Turned out that I needed to install the new card into the chart plotter which then wrote a file to the card.

How is this done (I am REALLY computer illiterate! LOL!). I bought the card used (Original card with packaging from a used chandlery). With my computer skills (or lack there of), I'm afraid to do anything with the original card for fear of 'wrecking it"...

Thanks!
Richard
Old 26-02-2017, 08:20   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

All I did was stick the new card in the chart plotter, switched it on for a few minutes then took it home. The PC at home then revealed the xml file. After that I downloaded the update which then worked.

You might try a brand new card, but make sure its a good make in the plotter, then at home use the PC to copy any other files on the original card to it.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2017, 08:26   #5

I sailed our boat up from SF to Vancouver Island last summer. I'm now "off my charts," too.

I found this: Understand how to use and download Garmin Maps - Gps Maps - Download free maps

I got a copy of the Canadian charts from a friend and have them on my laptop, but haven't, yet, been able to get them onto my handheld Garmin GPSMap 76Cx. I'm "working on it, but because of the weather I haven't gien it high priority during the holiday season.

Part of the answer is what Pete wrote. Another part i knowing the code for the handheld. Another is telling the handheld what chart package to use (I have both V8.5 and 9.5).

I'm using MapSource.

I also got an "unlocker" from a friend, but haven't gotten to it, yet, either. Send me a pm and I'll send you that email.

I'm reasonably computer literate, but Garmin has not made it easy at all.

PS - We did sail from Sidney to Maple Bay through Sansum Narrows using paper charts. Getting from Sidney to Satellite Channel is pretty easy. There's not too much detail you need at Buchart. Given your extensive pre-GPS days, Canadian chart 3313 (the great booklet) is well worth it, especially if you're going to be doing more sailing in the Gulf Islands.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2017, 08:32   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarel Design View Post

How is this done (I am REALLY computer illiterate! LOL!). I bought the card used (Original card with packaging from a used chandlery). With my computer skills (or lack there of), I'm afraid to do anything with the original card for fear of 'wrecking it"...

Thanks!
Richard
First thing I did was to buy another SD card to use so as to not knacker my working card.

As I said, I simply haven't gotten there yet.

As far as "...REALLY computer illiterate! LOL!" you really have to put that aside and start to understand how and why Garmin tries to keep their stuff from being copied. It's not rocket cience, but close to it! Damn them.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2017, 09:04   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
First thing I did was to buy another SD card to use so as to not knacker my working card.

As I said, I simply haven't gotten there yet.

As far as "...REALLY computer illiterate! LOL!" you really have to put that aside and start to understand how and why Garmin tries to keep their stuff from being copied. It's not rocket cience, but close to it! Damn them.
It may be difficult but sure isn't impossible since I've seen hacked Garmin charts on SD cards offered on the internet. Haven't purchased any but read reviews that seemed to indicate they worked.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2017, 11:55   #8

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

I purchased a Garmin Blucharts SD card on eBay, not knowing it was a pirate copy.
When I put it in the chartplotter (5208) it worked fine, but the card was a standard black thing with no Garmin logo. My other cards were blue and had Garmin ID on them.

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2017, 14:12   #9

THANK YOU EVERYONE!!!

I wasn't expecting so many replies, or so quickly!!!

OK... One at a time:

Pete:
When you stuck your card into your GPS unit, did you have to switch it from road/street to marine/navigation (Our unit is both)? Does the GPS unit "communicate" with the SD card and insert additional files? Any chance that Garmin has some sort of program that will identify it as a pirated copy and erase what I have?

I don't want to buy a brand new card because of the cost. When I found this card at the used chandlery for $50, I thought it was a steal! Speaking of which, because it came in the original packaging and included paper work, I "Thought" it was the "real thing"... I had no idea that the originals come in blue plastic!!! (That's why I avoided buying the ones seen on E bay... I figured those were indeed pirated copies...) Our SD card is black with no Garmin logos on it... Oh well It does work in Home Port, and I'm "guessing" it will work in our Garmin GPS... Any way of testing it in the Garmin without being in the San Juan area?

Stu:
Thank you for the offer to send me the "un-locker"! I'll PM you with my email address. Any chance that the unlocker might screw up my existing card? Should I try it first with the backup I created on my thumb drive? (I just don't want to loose what I do have.

Being an ex-firefighter (helicopter search and rescue in Malibu), I tend to always expect (and prepare for), the worst... I'm fine using DR, but I'd like as much information as possible (either paper charts or a backup card I can use on our laptops to zoom in for the finer details just to know whats below the surface...) I've gone over the route several times in Home port and have planned a few routes, but I sure would feel more comfortable with the minute details on the SD card on hand, at the time, especially if we decide to take alternate routes... (A LOT of rocks/kelp beds just north and out of Sidney.)

Thank you for the link to the Garmin info!!! I can't read their attachments until I join their group... Busy working right now so that will have to wait until later next week.

The Canadian paper charts I have 'tagged" to purchase are: 3313, 3441 and 3479. I can't see how detailed they are until I purchase them, but at least I'll have some sort of paper charts on board.

OK... back to work. (I create motion picture special effects and toy prototypes... I don't get weekends off... I work towards deadlines, which means I sometimes work on the weekends... LOL!)

Thanks again for all your help... All of you! =D

Best,
Richard
Old 26-02-2017, 14:26   #10

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

You can't make a backup on another SD card and use it. Garmin SD cards are copy protected. The data is locked to the SDCard "Card Identification Register"

Information about an SD card is encoded in its internal card registries. One of these is the Card Identification (CID) Register, a 16 byte code that contains information that uniquely identifies the SD card, including the card serial number (PSN), manufacturer ID number (MID) and manufacture date (MDT). The CID register is set when the card is manufactured and cannot be changed after it is set. (According to SD card specification the information is only to be written once, however if a card does not conform to the specification this information could be changed!)

That last bit is how the pirates get around it and sell bootleg cards on EBay etc.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2017, 14:48   #11

Hi Stu,

Just got a critical mechanical part working on my current client project and like all things pertaining to sailing/cruising... I'm ADDICTED! LOL!

In your last post you wrote: "however if a card does not conform to the specification this information could be changed!"

IF (and I suspect this to be the case), this is not a true Garmin product (not conforming to specs), is the "unlocker" you mentioned, something that will work on this card?

I double checked my card and it's a black micro SD card in a SanDisk adapter.

I've started thinking of alternative back up plans:

Just checked on E-Bay and found two similar cards for the area for under $60. Money back if I'm not satisfied... (They "claim" that these are "original copies"... One was a 2016 version. This would at least get me a backup card for use in our Garmin 640 or in our Laptop using home port (just for chart purposes, I don't expect GPS/plotter features.). And if they are "original (the real thing), that would get me out of using a pirated version (If that's what I now have.).

Second idea: I do have the original packaging (serial numbers etc)... "Maybe" I could contact Garmin directly, tell them I bought this used (no photos, just the packaging with serial numbers), and ask what it would cost to get an upgraded copy (This one was published in 2010.)

I'm going to go join the site you linked me to. Looks like lots of other GPS/navigation info there...

Thanks again!

Richard
Old 27-02-2017, 18:00   #12

Well, I just solved my issue of wanting a back up Garmin card!

I checked West marine online and all their images for the Garmin Cards have the small micro SD card in Black and the SanDisk adapter... No "Garmin" logos... ??? Same as the one I have now.

I found an Ebay seller, selling a Garmin Blue Chart g2 Vision covering Puget sound up north to ???Islands... as far north as we'll ever go.

Seller is selling as "new" (unopened in original packaging), I emailed him asking if it was genuine or copy? He replied original. I asked what year published? His reply: 2016.

That will give me 2ea Garmin BlueChart Vision g2 cards for the area we'll be cruising.

Might be overkill, but in this department, no way. (I'll still be ordering three paper charts for the Canadian waters well be cruising this summer (Already have charts for the San Juan Islands, the tide/current atlas (Still need to get the 2017 almanac to go with it), plus a handful of guide books with anchorage details... I think we're set!

Now, all I have to do by the beginning of July, is get a 2 page boat "to do" list completed! LOL!

Thanks for all your help!

Best,
Richard
Old 27-02-2017, 18:22   #13
hlk

I copied the Garmin card to my desktop then from there to a blank SD card. The new card works with Home Port but the chart plotter doesn't recognize it. I use the new card to transfer data from the chart plotter to my computer. No problem. Don't make it any more complicated than it is.
hlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2017, 18:28   #14

Quote: Don't make it any more complicated than it is.

HA! I often do!

Since both cards I now have are different, I'll try that just to have a back up of each that works on our laptops... We can use it for planning over dinner before each day of cruising. Then us the cards that do work in the GPS for sailing.

Thanks!

Richard
Old 27-02-2017, 19:03   #15

Boat: Alberg 30

once home port recogonizes your original Garmin Sd card it will recocgonize a copy too but it has to be on a sd card not a thumb drive and the copy will work on chart plotter too
Nobody is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
garmin