Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-05-2016, 22:40   #1

Sextant, what to buy?

It seems the sextant remains a basic component in a sailors kit, so which model should I purchase? Are plastic worth the while? What is the preferred make and build material?
Cheers.
Old 08-05-2016, 23:01   #2

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40
Re: Sextant, what to buy?

Something like a Davis Mk 3 is fine for emergency use and learning. I wouldnt go anything more expensive in the plastic. $100 should get you a new mk3

If you enjoy using it then a secondhand metal one for around $600 is a lovely thing to own and use.
Old 08-05-2016, 23:10   #3

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Zeiss Freiberger would be my pick.... about $500 Australian is the usual ask.

Freiberger Sextant | eBay
Old 08-05-2016, 23:11   #4

Also look into the ebbco plastic sextants. They are no longer made, but pretty cheap secondhand.

There is a fair bit of debate over the need to carry a sextant. There are alternative emergency navigation techniques that can work. Another concept that is very good is the bris sextant.

Learning to use a sextant is a great thing to do. It connects you to the universe, and to the past. In my mind thats reason enough to own and use a sextant.
Old 09-05-2016, 01:07   #5

Boat: 53' Amel Super Maramu

There's a few pretty easy tests to do on a used sextant to confirm its condition. Worth knowing.

I got my Plath in an antique store in Jakarta for $150 about 15 years ago in great shape. A couple others on the shelf were basically ornamental only.

A few of our friends have the plastic Davis sextants as backups and have found them adequate for that purpose.
Hobie_ind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 02:05   #6

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

I picked up a barely used (if at all) Tamiya, 20yrs ago, for $300. Complete with every possible attachment & accessory, a calibration/deviation card, & the original batteries. And I LUV it.
I couldn't see doing any passagemaking without one. At least of the offshore type.

They're also a good tool to have for more than just position fixing via heavenly bodies. As, for example, you can use them to accurately range your distance to objects of known heights. Which is handy for plotting & piloting.

One accessory for them, that's invaluable, is an Artificial Horizon. Which is basically a level that mounts to them, that you can see at the same time that you're shooting fixes when on land.
So it lets you to practice with it at home. A much easier way to learn, than from the bouncing deck of a vessel. Plus, it's a fun way to entertain friends. And to get kids & teens to understand the value of math, via real world demonstrations. Which, IMO, is priceless.

Bottom line, they're both fun, & surely worth having around. And if you've a friend who's a serious navigator, take him/her with you when shopping for a used one. And you'll likely find a great deal on a nice bit of pre-loved kit.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 03:17   #7

Boat: Garcia Passoa 50, ex Dix 38 pilothouse

I bought a very nice mint, Tayima here on CF for 250 dollars

LD
lamadriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 03:36   #8

Boat: Globe, cutter/ketch,38

I have a Davis Mk 25 and an Astra IIIB. They are both great for different reasons. I do use the Astra more as the plastic needs adjustment every time it is used, common for plastics.
Old 09-05-2016, 03:51   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
Zeiss Freiberger would be my pick.... about $500 Australian is the usual ask.

Freiberger Sextant | eBay
Yep, love my Freiberger! Its a real work of art.

I also have a Davis mk 15 which, although it was my grandfathers sextant that he gave to me for my 21st birthday, its sadly never given consistant results. There is about 12' of play in the micrometer on the plastic worm teeth that make it very difficult to use. You have to set the index error for both ways, then try to remember which way the micrometer was turned last.

I found I got much better results with an old vernier ebbco.
Old 09-05-2016, 04:19   #10
Eternal Member

Among metal sextants the Freiburger, Tamaya, Aires, Astra, Hughes and a few others are considered excellent.

However, for many years the German sextants made by C. Plath and by sister factory Cassens & Plath have been the ones to beat. They truly are works of art.

Over the years I've owned most of them. Still have two Plaths in excellent condition, including one I purchased new in Hong Kong years ago. Sadly, I'll be placing one of these two for sale soon. Hate to let it go, but time marches on....

Bill
btrayfors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 07:35   #11

Boat: Casacde 36

I got a plastic Davis, ata swap meet for $10 and use it on ocean crossing daily, both for practice and to insure against electronic failure. Gets me within 4 or 5 miles of GPS.
01kiwijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 07:43   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeLevel View Post
It seems the sextant remains a basic component in a sailors kit.
No, not really.

If you enjoy it, fine . . . . But "basic kit" these days - no.

The metal ones are a joy of precision heirloom construction, the plastic ones are functional..... and an apple ipad with iNavx a testament to high functionaly high tech which you might actually use.
estarzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 08:26   #13

Boat: Catalina 30 TR

Quote:
Originally Posted by estarzinger View Post
No, not really.

The metal ones are a joy of precision heirloom construction, the plastic ones are functional..... and an apple ipad with iNavx a testament to high functionaly high tech which you might actually use.
Looks like they are having a 50% off spring sale. I'm still a few years from needing it, but tempting.
CShawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 08:29   #14

Awesome, thank you for these helpful replies! Now for a bit of shopping.

btrayfors, I'm in no hurry so perhaps you can let me know how much $ when you are ready to sell, if that works for you.
PJ
Old 09-05-2016, 08:34   #15

Boat: Sail any boats from 28 to 60 ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeLevel View Post
It seems the sextant remains a basic component in a sailors kit,
Really? I have been doing it wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by estarzinger View Post
No, not really.
Exactly, I have a plastic sextant, I know how to use it. I use it for fun, demonstration and bragging rights. Other than that, I carry extra GPS and batteries.

What happens if the whole GPS Satellite system goes down in a flash? Well I will die along with thousands of other who are foolish didn't know how to use a sextant or forget to carry one on the plane.
rockDAWG is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sextant