Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Navigation
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-10-2014, 05:28   #1

Boat: Shorebro,Royal 33 - Aloisius
Sailing from Puerto Rico back to Grenada

Over Christmas I will be sailing from Grenada to Puerto Rico direct. Picking up my wife then three weeks sailing back to Grenada. We are very familiar with the islands from Guadeloupe to Grenada, but not Puerto Rico to Guadeloupe.
Given three weeks, any suggestions as to sailing and destinations along the way especially north of Guadeloupe given only 3 weeks to get back to Grenada. Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
landonshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2014, 05:53   #2
Eternal Member

Re: Sailing from Puerto Rico back to Grenada

Quote:
Originally Posted by landonshaw View Post
Over Christmas I will be sailing from Grenada to Puerto Rico direct. Picking up my wife then three weeks sailing back to Grenada. We are very familiar with the islands from Guadeloupe to Grenada, but not Puerto Rico to Guadeloupe.
Given three weeks, any suggestions as to sailing and destinations along the way especially north of Guadeloupe given only 3 weeks to get back to Grenada. Thanks

Two things:

1. Be aware that this is the season for Christmas Winds. Normally, these are short-lived -- two or three days -- and not too troublesome. But, they can occasionally last much longer and they often blow very hard, sometimes 50 knots or more.

2. Sometimes the combination of a wind direction more Easterly or East Southeasterly than expected plus a strongish Easterly current and strong winds can make sailing south more of a close reach than a reach or broad reach. We once had a very rough passage from the BVI to Grenada direct around Christmas time.

Keeping these factors in mind, from Puerto Rico I'd make as much easting as possible, passing up thru the US and British Virgins before heading south. If conditions permit, crossing the Anegada Passage to St. Martin or elsewhere in the Leewards would be a good strategy.

FWIW,

Have a safe trip.

Bill
btrayfors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2014, 08:38   #3

Boat: Shorebro,Royal 33 - Aloisius
Re: Sailing from Puerto Rico back to Grenada

Thank you for the information. Yes the Christmas can be very steady and strong. We have been sailing for the past 6 years with them, only getting as far north as Guadeloupe. This yer I thought I would take the boat farther north before we headed back. Any suggestions of anchorages in the northern islands?

landonshaw is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Grenada, Puerto Rico, sail, sailing