Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Navigation
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-08-2013, 06:51   #1

Boat: Lagoon 450
Sailing from Martinique to Annapolis

What would be the best route from Martinique to Annapolis. I have seen the routes from the Chesapeake to Caribbean, that intersect Bermuda as a stop over, but not interested in doing that. I am new at this, and also trying to get costs for an experienced captain.
Lastly, how long will a trip like this take? I realize wind and weather will dictate. I will be leaving Martinique mid April.
Fearnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2013, 06:58   #2

Boat: Boatless
Re: Sailing from Martinique to Annapolis

What boat?

Trip is about 14 days without stops. You can go offshore to Bermuda or through the Bahamas or through the Old Bahama Channel to Florida and then follow the E. coast to Annapolis. /...

A skipper is going to want $2,500 to $4,000 if he is willing to do it with just you as crew.

"Remember, experience only means that you screw-up less often."
s/v Moondancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2013, 07:05   #3

Is there a reason why I wouldn't be able to drawl a straight line from Martinique to the mouth of the Chesapeake and follow it? With the wind blowing mainly out of the East, it would seem like I could do a straight shot.
Is there a reason for heading to Bermuda, or the Keys?

Thanks
Old 31-08-2013, 07:09   #4

Boat: Boatless

No, easily done providing the boat and weather cooperate and you don't need to stop for water, fuel or repairs

But it is always smart to plan bail-outs and emergency stops. I would not do the trip without the Bahama and Bermuda charts.

"Remember, experience only means that you screw-up less often."
s/v Moondancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2013, 07:16   #5
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

I would go yourself without a captain. You will have a wonderful learning experience.

Its 1,600nms a great passage with lots of opt-out points if you need them.
Drawing a line (either straight or Great Circle Route) from Fort de France (simply a wonderful town!) takes you up the Caribbean Islands close to St Martin if you need to stop off for chandlery or fresh milk, then continues as a straight shot to the channel opening of the Chesapeake, keeping you 50nms off Cape Hatteras.

You are right you wouldn't go anywhere near Bermuda, that would be over 300nms at its closest to your route.

April is thee 'correct' time for this passage and you will start with wind on a reach and that will slowly come behind you the further north you get.

My advice to do it yourself is based on learning. I learn best when I do stuff. If you have some experience sailing, and have no rocks in your head but workable grey matter then I think you should do it yourself without a captain.

Your profile says Lagoon 420. That boat would LOVE a trip like this

By the end of the 1,600 nms you will know your boat and yourself... and be ready for a nice, large, cold, beer

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2013, 07:31   #6

@ Mark, At first, I thought you were joking. I truly appreciate your advise, and may do the trip with my wife. Though I have not done a lot of sailing, on a boat of this size(couple weeks charter on 420) I know how to read charts and navigate using GPS. I think I saw some of your stuff on tube. Real funny! Especially when someone asked if you get bored.

@Moondancer, I assume you're saying have the charts on board in case I need to visit those places, in case of emergency?
Old 31-08-2013, 07:35   #7

@ Mark, If I go solo, obviously I would have to take the Bahama route. I assume people sail with know one at watch?
Old 31-08-2013, 08:16   #8
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fearnow View Post
@ Mark, If I go solo, obviously I would have to take the Bahama route. I assume people sail with know one at watch?
Why go a Bahama route? If solo its far safer to go the straight shot.

If you have a wife take her. Wives are good, I'm told

You could do the Martinique to St Martin and if you dont feel confident then book a Captain. But with a delivery captain you will not learn a thing... you'll just be treated like poop on your own poop deck.

Download the pilot chart and have a look Maritime Safety Information

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2013, 11:58   #9

Sixteen hundred miles. If everything goes great, that's about 10 days in the open ocean? If solo, who is on watch, when I finally crash? The Lagoon holds 172 gallons. Do people that sail this distance carry more fuel topside? Wind forecasts on the Chesapeake are only good for a few days. Not sure I trust 10 days out.
Old 31-08-2013, 13:18   #10

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane

Hiya Fear! It will be a very long voyage for you and your wife; 1600 nm. Plan 4 or 5 stops along the way to recharge your energy, and maybe dine out or stock provisions. Why are you in a hurry?; take your time. Plan on arriving at each destination, no later than noonish and depart around 8:00 AM, next morning, to your next destination. Add a little fun to your trip! Buy a Caribbean travel guide, to give yourself some insights on things to do when you arrive at different islands; Fodor's Caribbean 2013. Keep us posted on your progress! Sail away and have a ball!

Mauritz
Take plenty of pictures!
Old 31-08-2013, 19:01   #11

My wife and I still have jobs in Annapolis, Maryland. She can only take off for 2 weeks. We are moving the boat to Annapolis, so I can do some refit, with water maker and AC. We hope to move onto the boat in the fall, and sail back in the Caribbean. It seems like the fastest way to deliver the boat is straight across from St. Martin. Getting feedback that this can be an unpleasant trip, partially due to my lack of experience.
Old 31-08-2013, 23:28   #12

Boat: Hunter H37C, Hunter H23

Since you live in Annapolis I would let it be known around the docks or whichever Marina you are going to that you need a couple of crew to help move the boat in April. There are a lot a folk with a lot of sailing experience in Nappy town. Should not be hard to find some who will jump at the chance to get more open ocean time. The trip is not hard but like others have said watch the weather and have bailout options planned incase you need them. 4 good crew makes a very nice watch schedule and you really can enjoy the trip up the islands until you make a straight run from St Thomas to Norfolk. I'll be moving a Cat up to Moble AL from St Thomas about that time as well. Enjoy, and let us know how it turns out.
Mark
S/V Illusion
H37C
Annapolis MD
markprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 10:24   #13

Thanks for the input. Sounds like the safest plan.
Old 03-09-2013, 19:03   #14

Boat: C&C 38 Landfall (1983 vintage)
I live in Annapolis too. Mi have 30or so years sailing experience but never in the Caribbean. I may be interested in helping you but April is way off in the future. Keep me posted please!
DainyRays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 03:53   #15

Thanks! You're right, it is a long way off. I will be deregistering the boat from French to US, beginning, April 1st, and that can take 2-3 weeks. After that, I plan to take two weeks and sail from Martinique to St. Thomas, with my wife. Once I get there, I will need crew to get the boat to Annapolis. The weather will be another big variable. Shoot me an email and I will give you a shout when we get closer to leaving. john@chesapeakedesign.org.

Tags
annapolis, Martinique, paracelle, sail, sailing