Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-07-2014, 18:11   #1

Open Street Map Anchorages

Hi everyone,

Pretty new to this forum, so apologies if this is in the wrong place or a thread like this exists already.

I've been looking online for a place that lists Anchorages that I could use and stay in while travelling the East coast of Australia.

After searching for quite a while it doesn't look like a resource like this exists.

I know Active Captain is out there, but that focuses primarily on the East Coast of America.

So seeing as there's nothing out there I was thinking of compiling a dataset of anchorages in Australia and indeed anywhere in the world and uploading them to OpenStreetMap.

Would anyone be interested in contributing?

All I'd need would be GPS co-ordinates of the anchorages, with a name and a description.

Thanks
eish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2014, 18:30   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Re: Open Street Map Anchorages

These folks have a list of cruising guide links that my be useful.

Trip Planner - Marina news, cruising guides, boating news, Australia coastal passages, anchorages

Noonsite has some info as well.

Australia — Noonsite

Some of the Aussies will chime in soon with their favorite guides, I am sure.

Welcome to CF!
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2014, 18:47   #3

Thanks for that. Good place to start!
Old 13-07-2014, 18:58   #4

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by eish View Post
Hi everyone,

Pretty new to this forum, so apologies if this is in the wrong place or a thread like this exists already.

I've been looking online for a place that lists Anchorages that I could use and stay in while travelling the East coast of Australia.

After searching for quite a while it doesn't look like a resource like this exists.

I know Active Captain is out there, but that focuses primarily on the East Coast of America.

So seeing as there's nothing out there I was thinking of compiling a dataset of anchorages in Australia and indeed anywhere in the world and uploading them to OpenStreetMap.

Would anyone be interested in contributing?

All I'd need would be GPS co-ordinates of the anchorages, with a name and a description.

Thanks
I think a gentleman by the name of Alan Lucas may be somewhat ahead of you.
Regards.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2014, 19:04   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
I think a gentleman by the name of Alan Lucas may be somewhat ahead of you.
Regards.
Definitely! But that's in a book format that you have to purchase.

Wouldn't it be nice if there was an online resource that you could have a look at?
Old 13-07-2014, 19:49   #6

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Difference is, when I read something in one of Alan's books, I KNOW that he has actually been there and done the soundings, checked the bottom and so on. He is nothing but meticulous. I also know that he was sober when he did it... none of those sureties are available from unmonitored entries on the internet.

Over the years, I've gotten enough erroneous info from fellow yotties that I tend to view their non-professional advice on anchorages with great suspicion. Interesting, perhaps, but not necessarily factual.

Cheers,

Jim
Old 13-07-2014, 19:50   #7

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

There are other ways of getting "free" information that involve human interaction. Oddly enough, I think the latter are preferable.

By the bye, Alan Lucas has worked long and hard on his books, and he depends on them for his livelihood. Do you really think it's a good idea to steal his work?

For pity's sake, why not look on open CPN and figure out where you think there might be good anchorage, and try it out?

Ann
Old 13-07-2014, 19:56   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
There are other ways of getting "free" information that involve human interaction. Oddly enough, I think the latter are preferable.

By the bye, Alan Lucas has worked long and hard on his books, and he depends on them for his livelihood. Do you really think it's a good idea to steal his work?

For pity's sake, why not look on open CPN and figure out where you think there might be good anchorage, and try it out?

Ann
I'm not proposing stealing. I'm talking about alternatives.
Old 13-07-2014, 19:58   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Difference is, when I read something in one of Alan's books, I KNOW that he has actually been there and done the soundings, checked the bottom and so on. He is nothing but meticulous. I also know that he was sober when he did it... none of those sureties are available from unmonitored entries on the internet.

Over the years, I've gotten enough erroneous info from fellow yotties that I tend to view their non-professional advice on anchorages with great suspicion. Interesting, perhaps, but not necessarily factual.

Cheers,

Jim
That's a very good point. I guess why I started looking at alternatives is because I couldn't find anything for Victoria. All of his books seem to be for the East Coast of Australia
Old 13-07-2014, 21:30   #10

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

EISH,

I apologize, I accused you of wrongdoing where there was none.

Victoria, Huh, well, Malacoota, Lakes Entrance, Wilson's Prom, Port Philip Bay, I don't have a chart handy, really, and haven't explored Vic waters much. Most of the people we've met fly across from the Prom to Eden.

Have been told by a reliable source that Lakes Entrance is continually dredged now, so easier to access than it used to be.

Further afield, the Kent Group has many one wind direction anchorages, no all around protection..

Ann
Old 13-07-2014, 21:38   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
EISH,

I apologize, I accused you of wrongdoing where there was none.

Victoria, Huh, well, Malacoota, Lakes Entrance, Wilson's Prom, Port Philip Bay, I don't have a chart handy, really, and haven't explored Vic waters much. Most of the people we've met fly across from the Prom to Eden.

Have been told by a reliable source that Lakes Entrance is continually dredged now, so easier to access than it used to be.

Further afield, the Kent Group has many one wind direction anchorages, no all around protection..

Ann
Don't worry about it, it's easy to misunderstand things on Internet forums

Thanks for the information. Sounds like a great place to start and hopefully in a few months time I'll be able to report back if indeed there are any decent places to lay up for the night!

Tags
anchor, anchorages