Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-03-2014, 06:05   #1

Open CPN on Android

Can any one tell me how to install and run Open CPN on my Samsung Galaxy Tablet please.
barbarajean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 22:14   #2

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore
Re: Open CPN on Android

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbarajean View Post
Can any one tell me how to install and run Open CPN on my Samsung Galaxy Tablet please.
Well, the short answer is you can't. You can install it on a PC running windows or linux.

But actually, yeah, you can but you might or might not find that it is a worthwhile endeavor. What you do is load linux (I think Ubuntu is the most popular flavor for this) in a chroot environment so effectively your droid is a linux machine. Then you can install OCPN. Your droid of course has to be rooted, and you probably won't have the use of your droid's onboard GPS receiver, but otherwise it will run. You just have to manually enter your position. I found the process tedious but I am not the world's greatest computer or android geek, and you might find it easier. I also was irritated at not having my OCPN installation simply pick up the position data from the built in GPS. So it is good for some folks, not so good for others. A search on the forum will find a link to instructifications for running linux on your droid.

You can also "sorta" run OCPN, by running it on a PC and using team viewer to monitor and control your desktop. You can see your PC running OCPN, and control it remotely, from your droid. A little clunky, and you are running two devices to do the work of one, but maybe burning a few extra millikilowatts is a non issue with you.

I would really love to see OCPN running natively in Android, or else one of the native droid chart navigation apps able to load CM93, but I don't think either one will ever happen.

You might look into running it on a windows tablet, or maybe a windows phone. Just a thought, don't know if it will work or not.

Tags
open cpn