Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-03-2019, 07:34   #1

Boat: 40', Farr 38
Mac ENC-Raster Charts + w/Mojave OS

HEADS UP!

I have recently bought a new MacBook Pro which utilizes the latest Mojave operating system.

Upon launching the latest version of MacENC I have found that enc charts work fine but raster charts do not display.

I have contacted the developer and received the following response.

2/21/2019
“MacENC has serious compatibility issues on computers with macOS X 10.14 - Mojave. One of the most serious of these is that MacENC does not display raster charts. The MacENC development team is aware of the issues. At this time we are expecting and update to MacENC for future 64 bit compatibility in the near future. I do not have a precise release date but it is in progress. Once released there will be no charge for the 64 bit compatible update for current MacENC customers.”

Hopefully, the developer will update their software quickly. Mojave has been out for quite some time. Additionally, I was quite surprised to learn that the current version was not 64bit compatible.

Safe sailing,
Cap’n Ben
Capt Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 04:20   #2

Boat: Island Packet, IP40
Re: Mac ENC-Raster Charts + w/Mojave OS

As of 01/11/20

Picked up a MacBook Pro (first Mac here) and OpenCPN seems to be the only chart / nav software available for a Mac w/ Mojave OS. I was researching what my options are and Mac ENC landing page states that iNavX is replacing MacENC.

The issue is that iNavX is available or iOS only (for Apple products).

I sent an email to see what their plans are for Mac's.
Kickin Bears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 04:35   #3

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Sincerely hope they support OSX again. I run an old version of MacENC and love it.

Thankfully, my nav computers are always my old MacBooks.

Is there an iOS emulator to run on Mojave?? Other than running Xcode developer tools? I mean that would also be an option.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 15:57   #4

Boat: 40', Farr 38

MacENC has been discontinued however it does work quite well in Mojave. Parallels Desktop for the Mac, allows me to run a Mojave install on my new mac. Apps work perfectly with no noticeable speed degradation. I also love the virtual OS for Windows 7 and 10 which I can switch between with no lag using Parallels. I would like to see a good Mac charting/navigation software. I tried OpenCPN a while ago and got frustrated getting charts to display, load...
Capt Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 16:57   #5

Boat: Island Packet, IP40

Received the below response:

Thanks for reaching out! MacENC will not be updated and all sales have been discontinued. iNavX works in iOS and Android. Apple indicated that they would make it possible to run iOS apps in macOS but I don't know when or how that will happen so, as far as navigation software for macOS is concerned, OpenCPN is one (if not the only) of your limited number of options.

I wish I had better news.

iNavX Support

Will look into Parallels Desktop. Hoping the iOS compatibility statement is true too ..
Kickin Bears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2020, 05:03   #6

qtVlm for Mac (free) also displays ENCs and Rasters and a number of other chart types on Mac (High Sierra, Mojave or Catalina)
maitai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2020, 00:33   #7

Boat: 1976 Islander 36 - Geja

Such a shame. I've spent hours trying to love OpenCPN. So many great features, but it's not quite there yet. Luckily my MacBook is still running on Sierra so I'm able to use MacENC for another season or two.
andrewvik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2020, 01:09   #8

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewvik View Post
Such a shame. I've spent hours trying to love OpenCPN. So many great features, but it's not quite there yet. Luckily my MacBook is still running on Sierra so I'm able to use MacENC for another season or two.
I won’t even touch open CPN. All I see is all these threads on here about how it doesn’t work. LOL. There’s no way I am chancing my navigation.

If I’m not mistaken, isn’t open cpn open source? Why is it so badly maintained? Just not enough people using it? Niche product?

I use maENC on an old Mac. Its only duty is as a navigation computer.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charts, enc