Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-02-2013, 05:54   #181

Boat: Dufour 35
Re: Lagoon 450 (Next Life) damaged in the Exuma, The Bahamas

There is no lack of discussions about Navionics cartography, here is one:Can you trust Navionics cartography?

Thomas
cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2013, 06:02   #182
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida

Giuseppe Carnevali I’ve been using Navionics Platinum charts for all of the Med since 2006 (I’ve sailed almost every country there)& without any updates since I bought them new in 2006- all seem right on the mark-so I did not feel I need to update and I’m very happy with them

At the time in 2006 I also bought all of the Caribbean, West Africa & Bahamas. Now after reading about the updates in this area I think it’s a good idea and I would like to UPDATE- I now want to update my charts and because I bought them in 2006 Navonics says I must buy new charts, which I spent thousands on to begin with and have never even used! .

This would also force me to buy a new chart recorder because my Raymarine e-120 now takes a different size chart so I cannot just change charts I also have to change out a perfectly good Chart recorder and the whole system as well- so its going to cost me about $10,000 + to get the update – Of course it’s easy to see why you changed the size of the chart, and stopped updateing the old style-Greed_ it forces people to buy more charts, good for your company but bad for folks like me- thanks in advance-for thinking of your good customers –I will remember this when it’s time to change and update my whole system, and of corse I will remember to recomend Navionics to no one
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2013, 06:30   #183

Boat: Lagoon 440

Ram i'm a little confused, are you saying the new charts don't fit E120's?

Cheers Frank
Old 24-02-2013, 06:57   #184

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

Well it looks like Navionics has corrected the root cause which was from the captain’s account that it was the magenta line labeled (when you click on it) as "centerline of a recommended route."

Here are the Navionics charts with the one on the left showing the magenta line and the bad route and the corrected chart on the right showing the line magenta line removed and also more coral heads between Guana Cay and Fowl Cay where the grounding took place.

Click on the pictures to see the detail

Hopefully this will stop cruisers from making this mistake again.
WebApp | Navionics
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Navionics chart as of Feb_16_2013.jpg
Views:	561
Size:	232.5 KB
ID:	55637   Click image for larger version

Name:	Navionics chart as of Feb_24_2013.jpg
Views:	602
Size:	237.0 KB
ID:	55638  

Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2013, 07:19   #185
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram View Post
Giuseppe Carnevali I’ve been using Navionics Platinum charts for all of the Med since 2006 (I’ve sailed almost every country there)& without any updates since I bought them new in 2006- all seem right on the mark-so I did not feel I need to update and I’m very happy with them

At the time in 2006 I also bought all of the Caribbean, West Africa & Bahamas. Now after reading about the updates in this area I think it’s a good idea and I would like to UPDATE- I now want to update my charts and because I bought them in 2006 Navonics says I must buy new charts, which I spent thousands on to begin with and have never even used! .

This would also force me to buy a new chart recorder because my Raymarine e-120 now takes a different size chart so I cannot just change charts I also have to change out a perfectly good Chart recorder and the whole system as well- so its going to cost me about $10,000 + to get the update – Of course it’s easy to see why you changed the size of the chart, and stopped updateing the old style-Greed_ it forces people to buy more charts, good for your company but bad for folks like me- thanks in advance-for thinking of your good customers –I will remember this when it’s time to change and update my whole system, and of corse I will remember to recomend Navionics to no one

Thanks for that Ram. I already refuse to buy Raymarine because they don't support their systems, three years after my last chart plotter purchase came out you couldn't get parts or service for it, have to buy a new one. UL listed electronics are legally supposed to be supported for ten years. Never again. Add Navionics to that list. I hate greedy companies like that. Won't use a company that treats their clientele like that, even if their product is the best on the market, and in this case it's not.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2013, 07:57   #186

Boat: Dufour 35

Regular updates?
"1000 updates per day every day"
Web-talk is cheap!
I just checked two spots on Navionics Web app.

Quote:
It was a dashed line (as opposed to solid) which means uncertain, look out.
While the "see and avoid" visual navigation rules apply always, including solid lines, the dashed line indicates the need for extra caution.
So .. shall we consider the dashed line below as a recommended route where "extra caution" is needed???

Name:	Petit.PNG
Views:	292
Size:	38.2 KB
ID:	55639

The imaginary Sandy Island is still there!!

Name:	Sandy.PNG
Views:	321
Size:	30.5 KB
ID:	55640

Thomas
cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2013, 08:09   #187

Very strange, what is at either end of the line?

Never seen anything like this on our charts, you can select Magenta as a course colour that you plot to save confusion but where is this a recommended route from where to where?

It looks more like a line plotted from solid object to solid object in this case points at end of a cay or island as a visual reference to confirm D R ? Something i'd draw as a visual sight... Weird stuff.....

Did Jack Sparrow use this chart to escape LOL?????
Old 24-02-2013, 08:15   #188
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cheoy Lee, 44 Cutter. Dolce Far Niente

There is an identical boat, brand new, that was run aground in the BVI a few months ago and had the bottom ripped out of both hulls from the bows all the way back to about 3/4 of the way to the stern. If you could see the exposed fiberglass work you would never get on one of these boats again. You can read the newspaper through the glass, and there are voids in the layup, with dry spots everywhere. The owner ran the boat up on the rocks and it was pounded to death and sank. They floated it and brought the salvaged vessel back to Nanny Cay Marina.
rourkeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2013, 08:27   #189

Boat: Sailboat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagoon4us View Post

It looks more like a line plotted from solid object to solid object in this case points at end of a cay or island as a visual reference to confirm D R ?
Right on. A bit further down the line it says "Range 6, Worlds end Reef".

Probably taken from a Don Street guide:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	don-street-range.png
Views:	210
Size:	17.9 KB
ID:	55644  
LeaseOnLife is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2013, 08:37   #190

Boat: Finnsailer 38

On older charts, particularly ones drawn earlier than the 20th century, the chartmakers often included dashed lines for various safety bearings. I'm looking at an old chart of Providencia right now which has a dashed line showing a bearing of about 143 degrees magnetic lining up Fairway Hill and Morgan's Head, and if you stay a bit west of that bearing it keeps you in deep water. I used this bearing when making Providencia harbor. Similarly, the same chart has a dashed line indicating the bearings where the light from the lighthouse on South Hill is obscured. Older charts had a lot of neat stuff like this on them, and sometimes that information has disappeared from newer charts. Heck, a lot of stuff seems to have disappeared in the vectorization of NOAA charts. In one popular harbor several different vector charts no longer show the submerged jetty at the entrance for some reason, even though I know the jetty is still there.
Old 24-02-2013, 08:42   #191

Quote:
Originally Posted by cagney View Post
The imaginary Sandy Island is still there!!
Attachment 55640
I wouldn't get too hung up on the Sandy Island, you also can find this hoax on recent CMAP, and google had it on maps and earth until a couple of months ago.

Mystery of the missing Island | THE TRUTH BEHIND THE SCENES

Edit: Wikipedia has a nice write up on how this island ended up on charts, this errror exists since 1774 and was introduced by James Cook himself

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandy_I...w_Caledonia%29
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	sandy-island-myth.png
Views:	212
Size:	24.0 KB
ID:	55645  
Old 24-02-2013, 08:42   #192

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post
In one popular harbor several different vector charts no longer show the submerged jetty at the entrance for some reason, even though I know the jetty is still there.
Location? Pics?
Old 24-02-2013, 09:01   #193

Quote:
Originally Posted by rourkeh View Post
There is an identical boat, brand new, that was run aground in the BVI a few months ago and had the bottom ripped out of both hulls from the bows all the way back to about 3/4 of the way to the stern. If you could see the exposed fiberglass work you would never get on one of these boats again. You can read the newspaper through the glass, and there are voids in the layup, with dry spots everywhere. The owner ran the boat up on the rocks and it was pounded to death and sank. They floated it and brought the salvaged vessel back to Nanny Cay Marina.
Bound to be entertaining.....
Old 24-02-2013, 09:26   #194

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Quote:
Location? Pics?
Here's the raster chart of the Cuttyhunk entrance channel and a screenshot from the Navionics website. That little bit of submerged jetty extending out from land towards the C9 buoy is completely underwater at high tide and people in shallow draft boats try to cut through there. It's not a serious problem for deeper boats, but I think it is interesting that it disappears on some vector charts--don't have any at hand at the moment, but it doesn't show up on the Navionics web map accessible from their home page, and I've noticed it missing from other vector charts. I wonder what else is missing?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Cuttyhunk Raster.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	28.7 KB
ID:	55650   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cuttyhunk Vector.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	7.5 KB
ID:	55651  

Old 24-02-2013, 09:42   #195