Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-11-2013, 06:18   #136
Registered User
 
hooligan6a's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Jacksonville F
Boat: Allied Seawind 32
Posts: 281
Re: iPad and Navionics Question

Let me say again if your iPad has GPS, you do not have to be online, WiFi or cell. to be able to use navigation programs.

Ipad 1 has a GPS.
__________________

__________________
hooligan6a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 20:54   #137
Registered User
 
Longtall's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: currently in Tasmania
Boat: Jarkan 34
Posts: 37
Re: iPad and Navionics Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo485 View Post
You buy the 34xg charts for the iPad iNAVx software the same way you buy the charts for the Caribbean and South America. Go to their online store and select whatever area of the world you want. It is more like a 2 year "rental" than a purchase. We just used them to cross the Pacific and the 34xg has Japan and does not include Aust nor Galapagos. Bad luck, mate, but it also has Fr. Polynesia, the Cooks, Tonga, Fiji, etc. I am not going to find the map codes for those excluded areas for you because I am sure you can do it by yourself!
Please be aware that the Japan etc charts for the Pacific will have Fiji cut in half if you are using an iPad. I've already put up a new thread on this that includes an email back from Fugawi X-Traverse addressing this issue.
Fiji cut in half.....34XG charts, be wary!
A serious flaw in the Navionics charting system... so be aware if you are considering using them with a non-windows machine!
__________________

__________________
Longtall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 21:39   #138
Registered User
 
Longtall's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: currently in Tasmania
Boat: Jarkan 34
Posts: 37
Re: iPad and Navionics Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by pk999 View Post
Just to reinforce what has been already said. I have a new Ipad3 with sim card, but have never bothered to insert the PAYG sim card. This model has independent GPS and will work for navigation without any cell phone or wifi coverage.

I Installed a wifi mux on the boat and it is then possible (with an app) to see all Raymarine boat data on the ipad (apart from Radar) or display chart and AIS.

But beware... the Ipad, when placed in a waterproof housing is even more sensitive to heat, and will shut down if exposed to periods in hot sun (even under the bimini).

As I bought it with the intention of replacing my ageing Raymarine plotters, without having to spend a fortune and changing electronic chart formats. To this effect it has worked, as one navionics chart for the whole med, plus the Ipad and housing, was less than the new cheapest Raymarine plotter alone (which is no longer compatible with my older Raymarine radar and electronic instruments and charts).

However, if you want to use the ipad in the cockpit in hot locations the screen is not very good in sunlight, and will cut out if it gets too hot. One also has to consider how you secure it at the steering position. They are fragile and will not take kindly to being dropped. The battery life with GPS running is less than 10 hours, so in situ charging needs to be considered... and I have not found a solid waterproof housing which allows room for the charging plug.
Having used it for a season in the med my conclusion is - For a back up system - great. For primary navigation system, dubious.
Have to concur with you there.... I too have an iPad using a WiFi Mux that transmits all my raymarine instruments, AIS + separate GPS to it. I can also control my Auto Pilot from it too (using way points). Just like you I mounted the iPad at the helm and found it didn't like the heat. Shut down if left in direct sunlight as the water resistant case made it too hot.
Have since moved it permanently into the hard dodger where its cooler, more protected and easier to read. I spend most of my time on watch there anyway. Best of all I can have the iPad hooked up to power continuously without worrying about the 'exposed' connection.
It is my main nav system though I back it up with a Mac app (MacENC), a hand held Garmin 78sc, a (now) ancient Garmin GPS Map 230 and of course small scale paper charts. Also download gribs directly into iNavX through the Iridium Satelite Phone interface (also WiFi). Apart from the map purchase/hire snafu and Fiji being cut in half I am overall happy with the system and redundancy.
__________________
Longtall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 19:32   #139
Registered User
 
DainyRays's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Annapolis, Maryland
Boat: C&C 38 Landfall (1983 vintage)
Posts: 35
Re: iPad and Navionics Question

I have the iPad4 and Bad Elf and use iNavx--it all works great. However, the NOAA charts don't have enough detail for the Bahamas. Where can I get more detailed electronic charts of the Bahamas for use with iNavx. Also, how do I load them & select them?
__________________
Bob
s/v Rainy Days
Annapolis, Maryland
DainyRays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 20:03   #140
Senior Cruiser
 
River Cruiser's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: UMR mm 283 /winter in Kansas
Boat: Bayliner 3870 41' oal.
Posts: 817
Re: iPad and Navionics Question

Yes, you do not need a data plan or you can buy one month to month but it's more $$ that way.
__________________
River Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 22:29   #141
Registered User
 
Mirage Gecko's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Sunshine Coast Hinterland
Boat: Seawind 1200 TEC 3
Posts: 430
Re: iPad and Navionics Question

I currently have an IPad using internal GPS and as have no fault with it.
Had not heard of Inavix until this thread and would not mind trying it however from what I can understand from Inavix info it only uses charts relevant to the US.Obviously no use if like me in based in Australia.
Is this correct? Or do you buy Inavix then need to buy specific charts for areas required.
Chris
__________________
Mirage Gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2014, 12:53   #142
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 6
Re: iPad and Navionics Question

I have used Navionics on my iPad and iPhone for a year and found it great, really great. However, I recently had to download some maps and they all had a lot of horizontal lines across them at very regular intervals. The maps are therefor unusable. So far Navionics have not replied. I would recommend you don't buy Navionics unless this new issue is solved quickly.
__________________
fengibprs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2014, 13:18   #143
Registered User
 
capttman's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Satellite Beach Florida
Boat: Bruce Roberts 434
Posts: 716
Send a message via Skype™ to capttman
Re: iPad and Navionics Question

I find ISailor have charts good enough to get around the Bahamas. Paper works too..
__________________
Capttman

"When the bow be in the trees we'll be running out of seas"
capttman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2014, 13:47   #144
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 6
Angry Re: iPad and Navionics Question

Thanks for the reply. What is somewhat worrying is that Navionics used to offer a superb product which no longer works. Sad because it was so good. Suppose I will have to try your recommendation.
__________________
fengibprs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2014, 15:28   #145
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Mackay,QLD, Australia
Boat: planning a approx 45ft cat
Posts: 3,651
Images: 3
Re: iPad and Navionics Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirage Gecko View Post
I currently have an IPad using internal GPS and as have no fault with it.
Had not heard of Inavix until this thread and would not mind trying it however from what I can understand from Inavix info it only uses charts relevant to the US.Obviously no use if like me in based in Australia.
Is this correct? Or do you buy Inavix then need to buy specific charts for areas required.
Chris
MG . Track down Factor on the forum. He uses Inavx in your area.
__________________
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2014, 03:37   #146
cruiser

Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 164
Re: iPad and Navionics Question

I went for Transas-Isailor over Inavx. With Transas-Isailor, when you upgrade your Ipads (in my case a standard Ipad and a Mini) you can still transfer the charts onto your new model Ipad without having to "re-buy" them.

Not so with Inavx.

It is just an unbelievably idiotic rip-off that with charts you have already paid for that you have to buy the bloody things again if you use Inavx, just because you upgrade your Ipad model! Until Inavx change that policy, I will never use their product. And I don't care that it may be their chart agent "X-Traverse's" policy rather than Inavx. I say boohoo, I don't care. Both of you sort your sh*t out with the charts or Isailor will eat you alive in the years to come.
__________________
LBW399 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2014, 03:45   #147
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 6
Re: iPad and Navionics Question

It seems that the guys sell you the great software and a great initial download then when you need to re download because you get a new phone or want another area they make sure you cannot download a proper map. So far I have had no response from navionics. Very disappointing. I wonder if yachting world and other magazines should be informed?
__________________
fengibprs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2014, 03:48   #148
cruiser

Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 164
Re: iPad and Navionics Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by fengibprs View Post
It seems that the guys sell you the great software and a great initial download then when you need to re download because you get a new phone or want another area they make sure you cannot download a proper map. So far I have had no response from navionics. Very disappointing. I wonder if yachting world and other magazines should be informed?
Mate, give Transas-Isailor a whirl. Fast customer service, and a good product. Nav App is free, but of course you gotta pay for the charts. But - unlike Inavx, you don't need to rebuy charts again if you upgrade to a new Ipad -- see my rant above.
__________________
LBW399 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2014, 15:49   #149
Registered User

Join Date: May 2011
Location: Currently in Spain
Boat: Hanse 385
Posts: 653
Re: iPad and Navionics Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi399 View Post
It is just an unbelievably idiotic rip-off that with charts you have already paid for that you have to buy the bloody things again if you use Inavx, just because you upgrade your Ipad model! Until Inavx change that policy, I will never use their product. And I don't care that it may be their chart agent "X-Traverse's" policy rather than Inavx. I say boohoo, I don't care. Both of you sort your sh*t out with the charts or Isailor will eat you alive in the years to come.
+1. Totally agree.
Can you imagine if Apple did this? You buy a song from iTunes on your laptop. Go to play it on your iPad, oops you need to buy it again. Go to iPhone, oops yep, I'll take your money again.

Then after a year you need to buy it again for each device.

What a JOKE.

I should be able to pay for a chart ONCE and use that on ANY device I own. Mac, iPad, iPhone, chart plotter.

I have no issue with paying for yearly updates. They can still make money out of me this way.

I honestly don't understand how it's even legal to sell the EXACT same product over and over again.

I hope as you say everyone sorts it out.
__________________
simonpickard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2014, 16:48   #150
Nearly an old salt
 
goboatingnow's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 13,649
Images: 3
Re: iPad and Navionics Question

Quote:
I should be able to pay for a chart ONCE and use that on ANY device I own. Mac, iPad, iPhone, chart plotter.
Only of course if the underlying copyright from the hydrographic office allows that , some do , some do not.

Dave
__________________

__________________
Check out my new blog on smart boat technology, networking and gadgets for the connected sailor! - http://smartboats.tumblr.com
goboatingnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
Ipad, navionics, ipad

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Navionics iPad User Manual Teej Navigation 20 12-01-2017 20:58
New Program for Navionics on the iPad noelex 77 Marine Electronics 18 29-01-2013 12:05
Ipad II av8fly Navigation 9 15-08-2012 19:19
Navionics Apps for iPad Suspended SVNarese Navigation 5 23-04-2012 08:00
iPad Route Navigation Cotemar Navigation 3 05-05-2011 07:25



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 21:44.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.