Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Navigation
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-12-2015, 05:05   #1

Georgetown Exumas-BELOW Andros-Cay Sal Bank -Cuba- Key West Charts

Good Morning ALL!!
Next time we go to the Exumas we would like to come back to Key West the Southern Route, Below Andros , Hit the Cay Sal Bank and then maybe Cuba to Key West . Does anyone know of a good Chart Set [ Paper and electronic] for these areas .
Especially Below Andros.. We draw 4 ' and are looking to get off the beaten track .
THANKS FOR ANY HELP
TOM
SV Cecilia Marie. Manta Cat MK 4
Alterboy 65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 05:37   #2

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Re: Georgetown Exumas-BELOW Andros-Cay Sal Bank -Cuba- Key West Charts

Hi Tom,

The current Explorer Charts have suggested routes that take you from the reefs and small islands just South of Andros across the more challenging parts of the bank into the deeper parts. From there, you could just aim straight for the Cay Sal Bank. After that, the US NOAA charts are accurate to the US. I don't know about Cuba - it is contained in our Garmin, CMap and Navionics charts, but I don't know how accurate they are there.

Garmin's iPad app contains the Explorer Charts, and the current CMap products also contain them if your chart plotter takes CMap.

You don't expect any hassle going directly from Cuba to Key West?

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 05:51   #3

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

We've been that way using C-MAP (based on Explorer Charts) and Garmin Blue Chart (iPad), but that area isn't charted in detail. You'll notice the chart shows "rocky heads" but doesn't have a depth on 'em.

We left the Exumas around Staniel, I would think from Georgetown you would need to head south before turning west. I know people who headed for Andros from the Flamingo Cay area. We crossed over from Staniel north of Green Cay along the Decca Radio Tower line. We then exited Tongue of the Ocean at North Rock, it's easy to pick the way thru there staying away from the white water. We anchored behind Grassy Cay and left there with good sunlight around late morning. Heading SW from Grassy Cay the "rocky heads" are very visible, we steered cleared but the ones we came close to looked way deeper than required to go over them. Once you are even with the SW side of Andros, the rocky heads disappear and it's clean sailing towards Anguilla Cay. We didn't stop at Anguilla but know people who have, we continued across the Cay Sal Banks to Cay Sal and spent the night in the lee of the island. Cay Sal can be a very rolly anchorage on the west side in unsettled weather. Cay Sal is fun to explore, there was a salt factory there at one point and it looks like some kind of military outpost. From there to Marathon is ~72nm.
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 18:44   #4

don't know about the charts. will be looking for those myself....BUT. If you are a US citizen, you cannot legally clear in to Cuba from Bahamas and then return to the united states. All entrance/exit for Cuba must be done with US as connecting port.
lauraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 07:47   #5

Boat: Ketch 52'
Send a message via Skype™ to CaptDHill

We have used Vector charts with Furuno, Navionics, and Garmin, in Cuba. They were all accurate for Cuba. However, I will never order Vector charts again. These were horrible off in many parts of Central America.D
CaptDHill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 12:07   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptDHill View Post
We have used Vector charts with Furuno, Navionics, and Garmin, in Cuba. They were all accurate for Cuba. However, I will never order Vector charts again. These were horrible off in many parts of Central America.D
Vector is a format, not a cartography data set. Why do you think raster charts will be any more accurate?

Chart accuracy is dependent on the survey data set and not the data format the chart product uses. Central America has some poorly charted areas, where no accurate data are available regardless of vector/raster format. Then, there are some areas where one vendor's product is more accurate than another. One needs to seek advice from others in specific areas before buying charts.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
Old 07-12-2015, 13:23   #7

Boat: Tayana V42 - Passages

If you have SSB and you are on the east coast, there are a couple of boats that made that trip last year that can be reached on the Cruiseheimers net, 8152 @ 0830. Bill on Puddle Jumper is one of them, I can't remember the other. They left from the Raggeds.
Old 07-12-2015, 16:33   #8

Boat: Catalina MKII 34'

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauraj View Post
don't know about the charts. will be looking for those myself....BUT. If you are a US citizen, you cannot legally clear in to Cuba from Bahamas and then return to the united states. All entrance/exit for Cuba must be done with US as connecting port.
You are right that you cannot legally clear in but all kinds of US flagged boats enter from the Bahamas and are welcomed by the Cubans. Most just keep on going or return to the Bahamas.
I left Marathon last February as a Canadian flagged vessel, against the advice of a number of "seasoned" sailors who told me that I would be turned back by the Coast Guard. Never had a problem with clearing in, had a great adventure, and met lots of boats from all over the world.
I cleared out from Gaviota late afternoon and anchored at Cayo Blanco. At 1st light I weighed anchor and was at Cay Sal Bank by late afternoon. Went around the top of Andros and cleared into the Bahamas at Chub Cay 24 hours later.
svchances is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 17:06   #9

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

Quote:
Originally Posted by svchances View Post
You are right that you cannot legally clear in but all kinds of US flagged boats enter from the Bahamas and are welcomed by the Cubans. Most just keep on going or return to the Bahamas.
I left Marathon last February as a Canadian flagged vessel, against the advice of a number of "seasoned" sailors who told me that I would be turned back by the Coast Guard. Never had a problem with clearing in, had a great adventure, and met lots of boats from all over the world.
I cleared out from Gaviota late afternoon and anchored at Cayo Blanco. At 1st light I weighed anchor and was at Cay Sal Bank by late afternoon. Went around the top of Andros and cleared into the Bahamas at Chub Cay 24 hours later.
How does help the OP?
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 17:59   #10

Location: Panama / Bahamas / Newport RI / Marathon Fl (now mostly)
Boat: Bristol CC 41.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauraj View Post
Ahem... I have known a few sailors who just happened to have engine problems off the coast of Cuba and announced it on Channel 16 before entering a Cuban port...... must be something in the air there off Cuba that causes these engines to malfunction..
sailingfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 18:34   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcapo View Post
If you have SSB and you are on the east coast, there are a couple of boats that made that trip last year that can be reached on the Cruiseheimers net, 8152 @ 0830. Bill on Puddle Jumper is one of them, I can't remember the other. They left from the Raggeds.
Leaving from the Raggeds is straight forward - there are no banks or reefs in the way and it is a straight shot to Cuba and/or US. It is also ~230nm away from where the OP wants to travel.

Leaving from Georgetown, like the OP wants to do, isn't so straight forward or obvious. There is a lot of dangerous and shallow area to negotiate on the South side of Andros and across the bank to open water.

Mark

Old 08-12-2015, 06:02   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
Leaving from the Raggeds is straight forward - there are no banks or reefs in the way and it is a straight shot to Cuba and/or US. It is also ~230nm away from where the OP wants to travel.
Well, the OP said Cal Sal Bank passing south of Andros. The Raggeds to the Cal Sal bank passes south of Andros through the area the OP was asking about.
Old 08-12-2015, 06:49   #13

Well, yeeesssss. But so does Crooked to Cay Sal pass south of Andros, as does Mayaguana to Cay Sal and Inagua to Cay Sal. Almost infinite number of routes South of Andros that can be taken. But again, all of them are hundreds of miles further South of Andros from Georgetown than the OP was asking about.

Mark

Old 08-12-2015, 07:13   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
Well, yeeesssss. But so does Crooked to Cay Sal pass south of Andros, as does Mayaguana to Cay Sal and Inagua to Cay Sal. Almost infinite number of routes South of Andros that can be taken. But again, all of them are hundreds of miles further South of Andros from Georgetown than the OP was asking about.

Mark
I never suggested that the OP go to the Raggeds to get to Cal Sal. The area in question, south of Andros, is transited if you go leave from Georgetown, the Tongue, or the Raggeds. I merely suggested that I know of boats that passed that way and they might offer some insight to that area.

I'm done.
Old 09-12-2015, 03:17   #15

Thank you all for your responses . One cruiser mentioned that " Out there your on our own if something happens .....Another said " Not true, the Navy , Coast Gaurd and all the drug runners will know where you are all the time if you need help " Sort of comforting
.....I will let you know if we hit anything : )
Fair WInds
TOM
Alterboy 65 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charts, Cuba, exumas, georgetown, key west