Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Navigation
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-01-2015, 09:45   #1

Garmin Data Card HPC018R -New Caledonia Fiji

Hi

Garmin stopped making the Data Cards for their hand held units (GPSMAPS 478). I am trying to find one (HPC018R, part # 010-C0865-10). Does anyone have one they would like to sell or lend out for a couple months?

Thanks,
Bill
Bill5928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2015, 17:05   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
Re: Garmin Data Card HPC018R -New Caledonia Fiji

Talked with a Garmin Rep about the problem getting the proprietary cartridge for the older model GPS receivers. He said they can make them up if you can provide them with a cartridge. Blank ones used to be quite common on Ebay but they are getting scarce now. Don't know if they can overprint a previous loaded cartridge but if they could, might be a source of getting a cartridge made up. They no longer have any of the cartridge so you have to supply.

Asked him about the problem of expense of chart cards for those actively cruising. They said they could make up custom cards to cover very wide or multiple specific areas at a lot better price than buying the individual preloaded cards. Didn't pin them down on cost but for anyone planning a circumnavigation of the Pacific or Northern Europe and the Med to get needed chart cards at a more affordable price.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2015, 20:58   #3

Hi Peter:

Thanks for the info. That seems to be a good idea and it would be nice to get a number of chart areas on the card at a lower price.

Could you let me know who you spoke to at Garmin (I assume you contacted the main office), since I asked if they could provide a download of CD of the data to put on a card. I do have a 128mb data card, but it has the Caribbean on it and I am not sure if there is enough space left. However, I have found sources for the Garmin 512mb data card blanks.

Before I purchase the 512mb data card, I would like to verify that they will do that and how much that would be.

Thanks,
Bill
Old 23-01-2015, 10:26   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

I talked with a group of Garmin Employees at the Oakland boat show a couple of years ago. Don't remember any names and never followed up on getting a cartridge as I'd bought enough to cover the areas I could possibly visit. There was a lull in the traffic so had the ear of all their people so it didn't seem like just one misinformed employee. They were sympathetic to the needs of a wide ranging cruiser.

Sorry I can't be more help. Know it can be frustrating breaking through the corporate website barrier.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2015, 11:20   #5
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40

Bill, I assume you are talking about garmin BlueChart or Bluechart g2? Although no longer in production, about a year ago I was able to purchase used off Ebay virtually all the additional charts I wanted for my GPSmap 2010C and 3010 C, including US east coast to Bermuda and the Chesepeake (even though I may not end up going to the latter, I fugured I may as well get one). It may take awhile for the one you need to be listed, but don't give up hope! Keep in mind that they will not be current, but in conjunction with paper charts and a laptop below with up to date charts, it works for me.

Brad
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2015, 18:43   #6

Hi Peter:

I will check at the Oakland sail show in April with the Garmin reps, but will call them before that.

Thanks for your input.

Bill
Old 25-01-2015, 18:47   #7

Hi Brad:

Yes, it is a Bluechart g2 data card (not the micro SD). I have checked eBay already with no luck. I will be headed to Fiji early May so not that much time to find one.

Thanks for your input.
Bill

Tags
cal, Fiji, garmin, New Caledonia