Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-02-2014, 01:17   #16

Re: Electronic Admiralty Charts

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
> it like smart phone apps chart. Navionics cheap but does not last to long (will work for year or two then would stop working and you will have to buy a new one again)

Do you have any evidence to back that up? Nothing in my two Android Navionics apps says anything about expiring.

And yes, I have clicked on the link when you open the app and read the EULA on their website,
Navionics West Europe app I got couple years ago does not exist anymore on Google Play. I have change the phone but it does not work on KitKat Android and not supported. Navionics support the current products – this area is all right but the old version remain the same. Navionics regularly change the chart regions as well by renaming the apps on offer. So I would take it with pinch of salt of any expectation that chart apps will last for long period of time (more then two years – the current live span of average smartphone). IMHO of course – expect that phone app would not outlive the phone itself.
Alexey_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2014, 01:23   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Thanks for clarifying that, Dave. IOW, if the Crown doesn't "abandon" the copyright, it can be extended forever by making a trivial change and republishing the work in the 50th year.
Royal family is expensive but gives some income opportunity for paparazzi and press. And bring more tourist's revenue then all zoos in the country put together. Tradition prevail on pragmatism.
Old 28-02-2014, 01:35   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau 473

I'm dissappointed (but not surpriswed)that the price of UKHO charts has not come.
Until recently, UKHO charts were stocked by approved Admiralty chart suppliers.
These suppliers needed to employ a number of people to keep these charts updated while they were held in stock.
Now the situation is that the supplier has a fancy printer. You order the charts, they enter the number, and the printer spits out a chart corrected to the lastest notice to mariners. That must save them a few bob, plus the ink qualitity is nowhere near as good as it used to be.
nigel1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2014, 01:57   #19

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigel1 View Post
The only rastar admiralty (UKHO) charts that I know which are available for Open CPN are those from
2014 ChartStick- for OpenCPN and PolarNavy (inc. International Areas) : by VisitMyHarbour [Charts for OpenCPN and Polar Navy] - VisitMyHarbour articles

But these only cover the UK and bits of Europe, and are current UKHO charts.
There is a subscription charge, but considering the coverage, its good value.
+1

VisitMyHarbour is the most outstanding bargain for electronic charts and pilot guides I've ever seen. Fantastic service. Too bad it only covers the UK.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2014, 02:05   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodesman View Post
Why would you want Admiralty charts of Atlantic Canada? We have our own hydrographic service: Canadian Hydrographic Service
Good point. If it is Commonwealth UKHO would be identical on the local coverage. It is common practice for national hydrographic offices to exchange the data for local regions with other countries (or just copy it if not agreement exists ). It would be odd if UKHO would run sounding service in USA for example.
Old 28-02-2014, 02:05   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau 473

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
+1

VisitMyHarbour is the most outstanding bargain for electronic charts and pilot guides I've ever seen. Fantastic service. Too bad it only covers the UK.

They seem to be expanding the service slowly.
It might be in the interest of the UKHO if they do. UKHO does not seem overly interested in the leisure market, and at least VMH does provide some income to the UKHO through it's sales.
Be nice if it does happen.
nigel1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2014, 02:46   #22

CM93 v2 the last ‘open’ version have not been updated since 2000 (even files have date 2010).
There CM93 v3 for MaxSea software I have seen on rutracker – but this is pirated and cracked version required some hacking skills to operate I would not recommend it for anything but general curiosity (it is too unreliable for practical use) . Old CM93 was UKHO’s data distributed by C-MAP and did not had encryption so it been widely copied. There been some law suits attempt but it was done against commercial use (some unscrupulous individuals tried to sell the copied charts to the clients). The newer corrected C-MAP versions are encrypted and require activation. Cracked used to bypass security maybe malware or using system resource in the same way as malware would be blocked by antivirus. I personally would not bother with that version. However is the old version pre 2000 is suitable for practical navigation ? For the most developed world – no. There plenty more corrected sources – some free or reasonably priced. For third world countries version from year 2000 is still latest because last hydrographic sounding been done century ago or even earlier.
Another issue, Admiralty brand by UKHO has mostly targeting commercial shipping (big container ships and tankers) and not as good as small craft brands. I personally prefer Imray paper charts over Admiralty.
Sorry but to sum up for original post: The DIY scans is not good as proper scan even old outdated CM93 v2 which 14 years old. CM93 v2 old and for big commercial ships (not much details for small crafts) – fun to use for general referencing the same as Google Maps – but would not use it as primary navigation source. Smartphone apps – cheap and cheerful. I used it with paper charts – superb tool for cross reference but not so handy for passage planning. Big chart plotter – best and most expensive option. And proper paper charts – still the best option – huge 40 inch screen and no electricity drain.
Old 02-03-2014, 09:02   #23

Boat: Jeanneau Sunshine 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexey_R View Post
CM93 v2 the last ‘open’ version have not been updated since 2000 (even files have date 2010).
FWIW, the latest "available" CM93 V2 package is dated 07/30/2012 and its coverage is as up to date as the official charts it derives from.
sailorF54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 01:11   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorF54 View Post
FWIW, the latest "available" CM93 V2 package is dated 07/30/2012 and its coverage is as up to date as the official charts it derives from.
That is good news. The main question: who did update it ? UKHO ? I guess not. Some enthusiasts updated it for selected areas.
So I would cross check it against the other sources for your area and use almanac like Reeds for small details.
Old 03-03-2014, 02:50   #25

Boat: Passport 41, Custom Perry in steel.

I got another take, bare with me, bit of History. I’m Ozzie so any flag waving for our British friends is unintended.
For more than 100 Years and thanks to Admiral F. Beaufort who’s fine example on what a Hydrographic chart should look like became by chance Hydrographer to the British Navy at the conclusion of the Napoleonic war, at a time when a large portion of GDP was spent on defence. Francis B. spent most of that allocation sending Survey & naturalist expedition everywhere (Just in case another shady mob took pot shots at the British) and truly they had a impressive maritime fleet.
The point is that a sailing vessel could find itself on a beach somewhere and a great deal of resources was spent on surveying the hinterland, creating pilot charts, ploted worlds magnetic variation, predicted tidal flows and horror of horrors chart corrections. His wind force got currency as well.
Anyway the point is they were extremely interested in the coast, but as ships got more reliable, the Hydrographic department everywhere (except some port authority) has shown less and less interest on what matters to us. The older charts had a great deal more info, and soundings close in, views of distant hills, contour lines & a heap of stuff that is still relevant to small craft (us).
Those charts have gone, replaced by something more pretty for the serious deep draft vessel. And often those CM93 & the like are a bit vague to save valuable memory.
I mourn the loss of opportunity, they are not ECDIS quality they will not see the light of day, because our Commercial friend are not interested anymore. So unless they are already scanned, fat chance of getting a copy now.
Oceanride007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 04:52   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oceanride007 View Post
Those charts have gone, replaced by something more pretty for the serious deep draft vessel. And often those CM93 & the like are a bit vague to save valuable memory.
I mourn the loss of opportunity, they are not ECDIS quality they will not see the light of day, because our Commercial friend are not interested anymore. So unless they are already scanned, fat chance of getting a copy now.
I totally agree. The old charts were more tailored to sailing vessels, the modern staff for ECDIS regulation on gigantic commercial ships (the ones with length in AIS showed in miles) .

However the sand banks changes all the time – the buoys change locations too. In South Coast of England as I know one buoy on Solent is not in charted location (relevant last season), in Pool area one buoy completely wash out on the shore by the recent storms and another moved. Light houses been shut and converted to holiday homes, the landmarks hidden by high-rise building. Wind farms popping out over the coast. And that happened in less then decade. So even the old school charts are had more sounding around the shores – it not necessary that those charts are has something to do with current reality.
Old 03-03-2014, 08:37   #27

Boat: Jeanneau Sunshine 36

Quote:
That is good news. The main question: who did update it ? UKHO ? I guess not. Some enthusiasts updated it for selected areas.
So I would cross check it against the other sources for your area and use almanac like Reeds for small details.
You don't seem to be aware that CMAP is a real company that belongs to Jeppesen, the leader in aviation map, itself part of the not unknown Boeing company...
sailorF54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 09:01   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorF54 View Post
You don't seem to be aware that CMAP is a real company that belongs to Jeppesen, the leader in aviation map, itself part of the not unknown Boeing company...
I am aware of it. I am not aware only for the reason of Jeppesen to update obsolete product when current versions they supply is CM93/3 : Jeppesen Professional+ Background
Old 03-03-2014, 11:40   #29
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
CM93 download sites are usually infested with malware, from what I've seen of them.

that depend on where you are looking.

and regarding updates...just few,there is a lot. I am using notices to mariners and this cm93 is updated up to 07/30/12

this is from december 2011, thames estuary

http://s18.postimg.org/lz58543ft/coperas_1.jpg

this is from 30 july 2012

http://s9.postimg.org/vnoqjnoxr/coperas_2.jpg

2011 kentish flats wind farm

http://s23.postimg.org/9uzqrygyj/lond_array_1.jpg

http://s21.postimg.org/55y79wfmv/lond_array_2.jpg

http://s12.postimg.org/y98qhrssd/costa_1.jpg

2012, there is even costa concordia
http://s14.postimg.org/q47omkfxt/costa_2.jpg

2011 croatia

http://s15.postimg.org/v97a28w2j/croatia_1.jpg

http://s13.postimg.org/4vk7pgs5j/croatia_2.jpg

2011 kentish flats wind farm

http://s23.postimg.org/9uzqrygyj/lond_array_1.jpg

http://s21.postimg.org/55y79wfmv/lond_array_2.jpg
Helix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 18:14   #30
Obsfucator, Second Class

Boat: 1982 Sea Ray SRV360

Quote:
I am aware of it. I am not aware only for the reason of Jeppesen to update obsolete product when current versions they supply is CM93/3 : Jeppesen Professional+ Background
CM93/3 was introduced about 4 years ago(?). At any rate, the page you link says "4 years ago". At that time, it had not been certified for ECDIS. After it was certified, my guess is that the CM93/2 charts were still updated for some time to allow ECDIS manufacturers time to modify their software to accommodate the new CM 93/3 charts.

Total guess work, but, to me, is is totally reasonable that in 2012 Jeppesen would still be updating the CM93/2 charts.

-dan
dacust is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charts